Led Zeppelin reborn?...(Greta Van Fleet)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 06 Jan 2019

Rock music is saved.....

youtube.com/watch?v=BXUqYFf4RfQ&

Removed User 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Dad Rock is saved more like.

OP Sl@te Head 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Nothing wrong with being a dad who appreciates good music...

A recent survey found that most adults stop listening to new music at 25, for me finding new music is one of lifes real pleasures....

Shani 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Hair like Bob Dylan.

Earings like Adam Ant.

Voice like Robert Plant.

Dress like Mrs Merton.

Good tune.

Edit: Remember Kingdom Come? youtube.com/watch?v=z2S1JKJqXvQ&

Post edited at 14:04
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> A recent survey found that most adults stop listening to new music at 25, for me finding new music is one of lifes real pleasures....

Heavens, yes.  Discovering something new that I like remains enormously satisfying, even if I have to wade through a lot of stuff that leaves me unmoved to find it.  And every once in a while something that you heard without it connecting comes back later on; a musical phrase, a voice, a rhythm or a melody that's finally found somewhere to latch on to and makes you listen again, this time hearing it differently.

Finding new music is for me, like learning, a lifelong thing.

T.

nathan79 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

There is a pleasant amount of good new proper rock (rather than poppier, indie rock) around at the moment. 

Planet Rock's Sunday evening show showcases new rock, always good for hearing some new sounds.

SuperLee1985 07 Jan 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Agreed, people who say they don't make good music any more, just aren't looking in the right places, there's plenty of it about, just don't expect to hear it on mainstream radio.

The streaming services are all really good for finding new music, pretty much all of them have features that will suggest music you may like based on what is in your playlists.

If you like led zep, check out a band called Wolfmother, their first two albums are fantastic.

felt 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

That's all very well, but where's the house on Loch Ness, the bookstore in Kensington and the duet with Sandy Denny?

OP Sl@te Head 07 Jan 2019
In reply to SuperLee1985:

> Agreed, people who say they don't make good music any more, just aren't looking in the right places, there's plenty of it about, just don't expect to hear it on mainstream radio.

Agreed, the more you look the more you find...

Found these new tracks from the Raconteurs recently, which I really enjoyed, I was lucky enough to see Jack White last summer

youtube.com/watch?v=WFaozNKOdLk&

youtube.com/watch?v=kHpWUTCAR4I&

OP Sl@te Head 07 Jan 2019

> Agreed, people who say they don't make good music any more, just aren't looking in the right places, there's plenty of it about, just don't expect to hear it on mainstream radio.

Agreed, the more you look the more you find...

Found these new tracks from the Raconteurs recently, which I really enjoyed, I was lucky enough to see Jack White last summer

youtube.com/watch?v=WFaozNKOdLk&

youtube.com/watch?v=kHpWUTCAR4I&

GHawksworth 07 Jan 2019

I could not agree more! There's plenty of awesome music being made recently.

I use spotify and have found a huge library of fantastic and soulful "Dad Rock" artists.

Wolfmother is one of my all time favourites. reading into them, they took a lot of direct influence from Led Zep and, as a shameful millennial, I actually got into Led Zep through Wolfmother as opposed to the other way around.

Jools Holland's shows are also a good one to find new music... you do have to sit through some tripe though...

Another good band to try out is The Record Company

Mr Fuller 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I haven't seen a covers band perform their own material before..

I'm a big fan of Led Zep but it would be nice if GVF tried to do something - just something - original. It sounds like a Led Zep b-side lost in the midsts of time and includes alongside all the good stuff, the bad stuff, like the pointless long breakdowns and the endless guitar solos that don't go anywhere. They haven't got the chops of Page and co and it shows during the instrumentals. It's be cool if the guitarist at least jumped on a pedal that wasn't one of Page's. He doesn't have to be Tom Morello but just something more original!

OP Sl@te Head 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Music's a personal thing, for me I like them, will follow them with interest and probably see them live at some point. GVF have divided opinions with the Led Zeppelin comparisons. I think it's going to be interesting to see (hear?) how these young musicians evolve musicaly. 

cb294 08 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Never mind the guitarist, it would be nice if the singer actually learned to sing...

Otherwise I totally agree with your point that exclusively sticking with the music from your youth just betrays an embarrassing lack of curiosity.

CB

pec 08 Jan 2019
In reply to cb294:

> Never mind the guitarist, it would be nice if the singer actually learned to sing...

I'm curious, in what way does he need to learn to sing? Yes there are some better singers but there are a lot of worse one aswell.

brownie mike 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I've seen Greta van Fleet live 3 times now, and they do put on a brilliant show - off again to Nottingham in March. 

Another band called Rival Sons are in a similar vein, but mainly built around the singers vocal prowess...

And on a British front - Raveneye! Young band, fronted by Oli Brown, who won loads of solo award for his blues playing whilst young, but then decided to form a band.

Snyggapa 09 Jan 2019
In reply to brownie mike:

+1 for the rival sons. Also the temperance movement, and wolfmother - but not sure if they're still going or if the crazy front-man is in or out of rehab...

Finally Triggerfinger - big on the continent, virtually unheard of in the UK but that does mean you can find them in pub sized venues if they ever come here 

youtube.com/watch?v=K5NgA1PrDKk& - start about 5 mins in, the first track is just warm up noise to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=aUpSyyi8K40& - is a great "rhianna" cover. Never thought I would hear myself say that  

Post edited at 10:31
 Rob Oram 09 Jan 2019

Second vote for Raveneye! Found them via You Tube and they're rather good!

Lemony 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I quite enjoyed the Pitchfork review of them last year...

> Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves. The poor kids from Frankenmuth, Michigan don’t even realize they’re more of an algorithmic fever dream than an actual rock band. While they’re selling out shows all over the world, somewhere in a boardroom, a half-dozen people are figuring out just how, exactly, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are supposed to fit into the SUV with the rest of the Greta Van Fleet boys on “Carpool Karaoke.”

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful...

OP Sl@te Head 25 Jan 2019

> Another band called Rival Sons are in a similar vein, but mainly built around the singers vocal prowess...

Thanks for the heads up on 'Rival Sons' really enjoying them as well, new album 'Feral Roots' out today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...