Kendal Mountain Film Festival best bits thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 21 Nov 2020

Only seen a few films so far. Best ones by far...

Run the Roof...about 2 people plus one loony running in a country I cant spell.

Transcontinental Race....a 4061k cycle race across Europe.  Mad.

Both really good films!

In reply to Wainers44:

I watched the Edwin Drummond film last night which I thought was really excellent. It is quite abstract and quirky but that reflects the subject. It reminded me how good his writing was. Looking forward to the Boardman/Tasker session later this evening.

Post edited at 16:36
In reply to Wainers44:

Great thread. 

I've throughly enjoyed it all so far. Two highlights for me so far are:

Becoming a Guide

(following two young aspirant guides in Europe) 

Pretty Strong 

(Following some top female climbers in various disciplines) 

ebdon 21 Nov 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I really enjoyed ed the Ed Drummond film, it was a little different, and certainly not what I was expecting. Allthough I think you have to be in to you're climbing history to get the most out of it, my wife was a little bemused! I'm also still freaked out from a topless Robbie Phillip's hanging from a climbing frame staring deep into my soul...

ebdon 21 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Favourite so far is As free as can be in climb 2, genuinely hart heart warming, I may have even shed a little tear.

planetmarshall 21 Nov 2020
In reply to ebdon:

> I'm also still freaked out from a topless Robbie Phillip's hanging from a climbing frame staring deep into my soul...

Is this from a film? Or just a traumatic memory?

ebdon 21 Nov 2020
In reply to planetmarshall:

I think it was from the film but perhaps I dreamt it? I think all the abstract Drummond poetry has addled my simple brains.

OP Wainers44 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Others so far...

Snow collection....very good..started with a real bang and some bonkers ski antics in powder. Liked the quirky Chairlift film.

Into the storm...really interesting film about a young guy from the worst slums in Peru with a natural talent for surfing.  Such an obvious chance to get himself a better life and surely he will seize it,  wont he? 

Becoming a Guide...as mentioned above, very good.

In reply to Wainers44:

I just shared this on Facebook, but thought I'd share it here, ahead of tonight's Lake District Classic Rock Challenge Session with Tom Randall and Will Birkett. I hosted the session, which was filmed yesterday, and here's a few thoughts/feelings on it to get the juices flowing:

I'm unsure as to how best to describe this session, but here's a brief attempt:

On the one hand we have a highly competitive (albeit remarkably friendly) rivalry between two people. Both want to win, and neither will back down, but the camaraderie is part of what drives and motivates them to break each-other's records. It's almost like a game, albeit a dangerous one, that becomes increasingly risky as each attempt is made.

On the other hand we have two people that genuinely like and respect each-other. Both care for the other's welfare, and neither wants the other to die, but in beating the their respective records they know that the process is going to repeat itself over and over again. Where does it stop?

There were several moments when my heart was well and truly in my mouth throughout this session and hopefully I've done both Tom Randall and Will Birkett justice in the questions I asked.

Maximum respect for the commitment levels boys, but f*ck me - I was terrified!!

Post edited at 15:58
 summo 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Yeah the snow session was good and the mountain running session was especially well presented, but it helps when you really know the subject and they've presented before. Bike night was a bit weak, but as much down to the presenting (he was really nervous), although normally bike night shows are rarely seen by anyone sober!! Perhaps bike night is a format that works better as a piss up interrupted by a few films. 

blackcat 24 Nov 2020
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

Realy enjoyed becoming a guide,was looking forward to dani arnolds talk,but cant seem to find when it is unless ive missed it.

sheelba 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Love bugs was wonderful 

sheelba 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I enjoyed it a lot, thanks. I thought it would be live though

ebdon 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Just watched the classic rock round session, Christ, that was actually harrowing in places, i always presumed the climbing part of this would be relatively staightford for top end climbers, but never have low grade routes sounded so terrifying!

Think I'll stick stannage.

In reply to sheelba:

> I thought it would be live though

Funnily enough so did I originally, but I'm not sure when that changed (or if I'd just got the wrong end of the stick). Either way, I'm glad it wasn't as a fluffed the intro around 10 times, which meant we had to re-take 😂

In reply to ebdon:

> Just watched the classic rock round session, Christ, that was actually harrowing in places, i always presumed the climbing part of this would be relatively straightforward for top end climbers, but never have low grade routes sounded so terrifying!

My heart was in my mouth for a lot of the time we were on stage, particularly in/around their respective experiences on Moss Ghyll Grooves. There felt like some pretty big questions to ask after that...

> Think I'll stick Stanage.

Me too!

ablackett 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

> Only seen a few films so far. Best ones by far...

> Run the Roof...about 2 people plus one loony running in a country I cant spell.

Running the Roof - a good adventure for the three of them, but I found the dancing one incredibly annoying, good but not great.

mike lawrence? 26 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

My favourite one so far is Lock Down Rock Up in Climb 1. Short but with an emotional punch and well put together. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed 47 copa in Run, its about a Paddy Buckley attempt, and the runner has the best facial expressions ever!

airborne 26 Nov 2020
In reply to mike lawrence?:

The runner is Huw Brassington and it’s worth watching the Totally FKT film premiere  as Huw is the presenter, he’s brilliant. And the film’s ace as well!

mike lawrence? 26 Nov 2020
In reply to airborne:

Oh thanks for that, i just watched this on your recommendation. Huw is a naturally brilliant presenter isn't he. Great film!

OP Wainers44 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Wood on Water is well worth a watch. A sort of Outward Bound on speed.

Well filmed and really interesting. 

Pretty Strong was good but by the end got a little "samey" I thought? Amazing climbing though.

K2 Breathless was pretty good too.

ebdon 30 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

I was a bit disappointed by pretty strong - I liked the first segment where the dynamic between the two climbers was great and the last segment where you really got a sense of what the route meant as well as a sense of someone's journey through climbing and getting/losing psyche but the two middle bits were just relentless crushing with no narrative and a bit soulless as a result.

Watched Valhalla last night - never before have I felt so sorry for a belayer! I was rooting for Edu to send it, not for his sake but for his poor old dad!

Chris Reid 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

The Kendal FF website is dreadful to navigate. Why not a simple "categories" heading or even just a list of films. Whoever did the web design needs to review their practice

Chris Reid 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Yeah, "Wood on water" was one of the better films for sure.

summo 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Chris Reid:

> The Kendal FF website is dreadful to navigate. Why not a simple "categories" heading or even just a list of films. Whoever did the web design needs to review their practice

Indeed. I complained, having spent 90 quid i felt I had a right too. I got a polite reply telling me the website was fine and it's the same format as Netflix. But if the netflix format was as bad as kmff they'd have gone out of business. 

MattL80 03 Dec 2020
In reply to summo:

Not replying to summo specifically, just not clever enough to add a general reply on the phone! 

Anyway, every film I've watched has been inspiring in one way or another. The feather in the west was particularly enjoyable. Only complaint is that they seem to like putting microscopic white subtitles against a snowy background... some films have been unfollowable as a result - I ended up just enjoying the scenery with no idea what it was about. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...