Ken MacLeod Novels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Sagar 11 Apr 2020

About a year ago I read The Star Fraction and ​​​​​​​The Stone Canal. I thought both were utterly brilliant - if anything, the second even better than the first. Not for everyone, and you'll definitely get more of out of them if you have some experience of how grass-roots left wing politics tends to go, but I was seriously impressed.

Anyway, I still need to read the other two books in the Fall Revolution series. But I'm keen to try more of his stuff - only, usual problem with SciFi authors, the number of universes he's established is overwhelming, and I've no idea where to begin.

So, over to you...

Dr.S at work 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I think the Fall revolution ones are his best - a bit like Banks really I prefer his earlier efforts.

The execution channel

and

the night sessions 

are interesting.

deepsoup 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> I still need to read the other two books in the Fall Revolution series.

Yes, I agree with Dr.S, the Fall Revolution books are the best ones - The Cassini Division and The Sky Road next.

After that I'd say carry on in order of publication, and the 'Engines of Light' trilogy.
Cosmonaut Keep
Dark Light
Engine City

Don't know after that..  The Night Sessions perhaps, or Learning The World. 
(Or better yet, if you've never read any Alastair Reynolds: Revelation Space.)

OP Paul Sagar 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Thanks both - not read any Reynolds, where should I start?

OP Paul Sagar 12 Apr 2020

Oh, duh, you said. 

nastyned 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Not read him in years but I loved the IWWWW, the Industrial Workers of the World Wide Web or Webblies. Genius. 

Dr.S at work 12 Apr 2020
In reply to nastyned:

I liked the femininists

Bob Kemp 12 Apr 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I enjoyed the Engines of Light series but found the Corporation Wars trilogy hard going, and gave up after two volumes. 'Intrusion' is well worth reading for an interesting angle on the dystopian near-future trope. I seem to recall enjoying Newton's Wake but I can't remember a great deal about it apart from it having gangster Scots in space. 

I haven't read the earlier series yet but after your comments I'm going to have to revisit MacLeod. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...