K2 makes it to BBC R4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MisterPiggy 02 Aug 2022

Heard this lunchtime, on The World at One, youngest British female climber to summit K2.

Worth a listen.

If using BBC Sounds app, the segment is at 32m42s.

Excellent effort !

jasonC abroad 03 Aug 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Probably worth mentioning that it was on Radio 4, The World At One

Martin Hore 03 Aug 2022
In reply to jasonC abroad:

It was covered on TV on BBC Breakfast this morning with a interview with the climber in question (I didn't register her name) and a photo of a queue of what looked like around 100 climbers jumarring up the same rope towards the summit. 

I hadn't realised that this commercial approach to climbing the 8000ers had extended beyond Everest and Cho Oyu. She's going for the full 14. Are they all now accessible in this fashion, presumably only if you have the best part of £1m to spare?

I defended this approach to ascending Everest on an earlier post. (I have a friend who did it a few years ago). But I'm not sure about all 14.

Martin

Sean Kelly 03 Aug 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Andriana Brownlee. She has already ticked 10 of the 8k peaks, so no mean achievement for someone of 21 years.

Siward 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

There was some guy on Pointless yesterday, can only have been in his twenties, bleating that he'd 'done' all seven continents.

I mean, well done. How many air miles is that? Had it improved his mind sufficiently to answer a few fairly basic general knowledge questions on the show? (no). But probably great for Instagram.

More and more I am of the view that humanity should just wind its neck in, stop despoiling everywhere and just stay at home. So there. 

pec 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> She has already ticked 10 of the 8k peaks, so no mean achievement for someone of 21 years.

Is having access to a huge pile of cash so that you can jumar up ropes someone else put there using oxygen bottles someone else carried up for you no mean achievement?

Or have I completely misunderstood the situation and she's climbed them all in alpine style by new routes perhaps or in winter?

philipjardine 03 Aug 2022
In reply to pec:

How else do you kick off a career in motivational speaking?

OP MisterPiggy 03 Aug 2022
In reply to jasonC abroad:

Yup, in the title, then the body of the post 😉

pec 03 Aug 2022
In reply to philipjardine:

> How else do you kick off a career in motivational speaking?

You have to suspect that she will have a far greater career in motivational speaking than mountaineering. She can pull the wool over their eyes as to what she's actually doing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...