July TV thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 09 Jul 2020

Just noticed that Get Shorty is airing for a 3rd series. If it's anything like as good as the first two it will be brilliant and have some of the blackest comedy around.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Alternatively, for surreal and whimsical comedy, the 3rd series of 'The Good Place' starts on E4 this evening.  (But it's probably going to make absolutely no sense at all if you didn't see the first two.)

Meanwhile on BBC2 the second series of "What We Do In The Shadows" continues, and the whole series is up on iPlayer already.

Oh, and as it's you I'm replying to I should mention "I May Destroy You".  It's amazing, Michaela Coel is hugely talented as the 'star', the writer and co-director.  It's absolutely nothing like Fleabag, but it'll be this year's Fleabag, if you see what I mean.  Darkly comic sometimes uncomfortable watching dealing with issues of race, gender and sexual consent.  10 episodes out of 12 up on BBC iPlayer so far.

Dark-Cloud 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Love the Good Place but the third series lost its way a little bit i thought, was a disappointment after the first two.

wilkie14c 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Shadows season 2 was better than the 1st season. Original film of the same name is on the iplayer too.

Couldn't get on with the good place, gave up after 4 or 5. Too american whimsy I think. did enjoy ‘the other one’  on the iplayer with the excellent Loren Socha.

I’m enjoying season 3 of the sinner on nexflix at the moment.

Blue Straggler 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup and Sans-Plan:

Funny, as soon as I saw the thread title I thought I'd make a rare venture into a TV thread and mention that I have JUST started The Good Place (as in, I've watched the first two episodes). 

A friend of mine lectures philosophy at a university in Wisconsin and she has been full of praise for all of The Good Place for years.   

I love it so far and I expect it to start to wane as most shows do, IF I get that far. 

OP Tom Valentine 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

It sounds interesting and will give it a go though I didn't rate Fleabag half as much as most .  Is there a reason that I in particular should be watching it?

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Love the Good Place but the third series lost its way a little bit i thought, was a disappointment after the first two.

Ah, well the first two were *so* good I guess it would be a lot to ask to keep it up to those standards.  I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Shadows season 2 was better than the 1st season. Original film of the same name is on the iplayer too.

I binged season 2 over a couple of evenings as soon as it was up online, couldn't resist.  On the whole I thought it sagged a tiny bit in the middle, but then the last few were superb.

The whimsy was what i liked about The Good Place, I can see how that's not everyone's cup of tea but I really enjoyed the abstract nature of it, pure escapism from the real world.

>  did enjoy ‘the other one’  on the iplayer with the excellent Loren Socha.

Ooh - never ever heard of that one, I'll check it out, thanks.

> I’m enjoying season 3 of the sinner on nexflix at the moment.

I was completely gripped by series 1, recorded series 2 but still haven't watched any of it yet, mainly because the first one was so engrossing I know it'll end up being a binge and there's never seems to be a convenient time to stay up until 4am watching the telly!

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I love it so far and I expect it to start to wane as most shows do, IF I get that far. 

Well, if anything can keep your interest all the way through the series, perhaps it will be this.  It starts strong and just keeps on getting stronger all the way to the end imo.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020

> Is there a reason that I in particular should be watching it?

Sorry, no there isn't - I just couldn't resist being a bit facetious.  When I realised it was you I was replying to I just imagined a thread on here discussing it, in which I disagreed vehemently with everything you said and vice versa.

Like Fleabag I suspect you wouldn't rate it half as much as I do.  (That was a solid 10/10 for me - especially the second series.  The only thing I could fault it on at all would be a slightly dodgy bit of CGI at the very end, where the BBC budget didn't quite run to a real fox.)

In reply to deepsoup:

> Well, if anything can keep your interest all the way through the series, perhaps it will be this.  It starts strong and just keeps on getting stronger all the way to the end imo.

To the end of.....season 2, so far, for you, out of 4? 

john arran 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> Meanwhile on BBC2 the second series of "What We Do In The Shadows" continues, and the whole series is up on iPlayer already.

I tried the first one of Series 1 and couldn't get on with it at all. All a bit 'Meh'.

Horses for courses though, I suppose.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> To the end of.....season 2, so far, for you, out of 4? 

I meant it keeps getting stronger to the end of the first season, but yes I think it's fair to say the second one does the same.  I don't have Netflix & haven't seen the third yet.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2020
In reply to john arran:

> Horses for courses though, I suppose.

Different strokes for different folks?

In reply to deepsoup:

OK ta

OP Tom Valentine 09 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Good reply, thank you. I will make a determined effort to watch it now.

The new bbc1 comedy The Other One is worth a watch. Enjoyed it that much I binged it. 

Offwidth 13 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

I needed a catch-up here and yet again your choices were my main selection. I was going to add the test cricket, as for cricket fans it was a real classic nail biter from the gamble to bat first, until the last hour, and Leftovers that as a high production quality Sci Fi/Fantasy TV fan I somehow I had managed to miss before. Also nearly finished a lockdown rewatch of all of Babylon 5.. an old and flaky grandparent of a TV show that you have to love for its ambition and scope. 

On the subject of the cricket the establishment bastion saw all the England players take the knee alongside the West Indies and in a rain break on Sky we had this

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-holding-ex-west-indies-stars-impassioned...

Post edited at 09:15
 tjdodd 13 Jul 2020

In reply to:

There She Goes is really good.  Catch up on series 1 before starting the new series 2 (that is on BBC2).

OP Tom Valentine 17 Jul 2020

The Plot Against America.

Very dark "what if " drama from HBO with David Simon and Ed Burns at the helm ,  depicting a USA where the election of a German friendly Lindberg would have made a world of difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...