Jeff Beck RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 felt 11 Jan 2023
 veteye 11 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

Oh Gosh .... 

No.. 

I didn't know.

Great guitarist with a huge wide variation in style and tone.

gwynt 11 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

Very sad news, Kim Simmonds last month, and now Jeff Beck. Two guitar greats from my era.

Paul Evans 12 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

Gutted. Saw him twice, once in the 70s with Bogart and Appice, and once more recently on the Emotion and Commotion tour. 

Listening to Jeff Beck's "Truth", and then listening to LZ1, released 6 months later, is quite enlightening....

For anyone after a 1 song summary, any of the live versions of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Brush with the Blues says it all really.  

Paul

Jp 12 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

I don't think it's too bold to say his impact on electric guitar music is unmatched by any other. To think of what he was doing in '65, a year before Hendrix came to the UK and became the Hendrix we all know... it's chilling.

Very glad to have seen him last year at the Royal Albert Hall. He was excellent and told a story or two about playing there 55 years prior, on the same bill as Jimi, as it happens. Quite sad he's gone. RIP. 

Harry Jarvis 12 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

I can listen to Beck's Bolero over and over again ...

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8y-066wr4c&

It was a remarkable achievement when originally recorded and still sounds magnificent.

Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> I can listen to Beck's Bolero over and over again ...

This even got a play on the Today programme on R4 this morning.

Removed User 12 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

His joyful response to Tal Wilkenfield's classy bass solo is the best bit of that video!

Cog 12 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

Emotion and Commotion on as I make the soup.

OP felt 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Removed User:

> His joyful response to Tal Wilkenfield's classy bass solo is the best bit of that video!

Yes, shoulda put 'what a man' too.

His use of the top volume control on his Strat as a swell pedal is something else there.

magma 14 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

yeah, what a legend. met a twenty something learning the guitar recently who hadn't heard of him..

just been watching some versions of 'train kept a rollin'..

youtube.com/watch?v=EHKsg3NIIgQ&

OP felt 14 Jan 2023
In reply to magma:

This gig from Japan's got some great stuff, not least Day in the Life, which he also does in the Ronnie Scott show.

youtube.com/watch?v=xuN3A9X33iA&t=2

magma 14 Jan 2023
In reply to felt:

maytbe the greatest cover band is Jeff Beck

OP felt 15 Jan 2023
In reply to magma:

Certainly one of the greatest reimaginers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...