James Hunter and the Highland Clearances

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 26 May 2022

I've read Prebble and Devine on the Clearances. Any advice on which  of Jim Hunter's books I should read to get an alternative view?

Doug 26 May 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

A while since I've read any of his books & most of them are still (hopefully) in storage back in Scotland. I guess his classic is 'The making of the crofting community' but that was published in the mid 1970s so maybe is a little dated. I also really enjoyed 'A dance called America : the Scottish Highlands, the United States and Canada. Edinburgh'  and 'On the other side of sorrow : nature and people in the Scottish Highlands'.  Not specifically about the clearances but a good general history is 'Last of the free : a millennial history of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland'. I've not read 'Set Adrift Upon the World: The Sutherland Clearances' but might be closest to "on the Clearances".

In reply to Pete Pozman:

Not an answer to your question but I found David Craig's book about the Clearances very moving

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3537859-on-the-crofters-trail

rogerwebb 26 May 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Last of the Free.

Highland history, wider than the clearances. Gives the context.

Insurrection

A detailed run through of a year of famine in the Highlands.

Both superb. 

kwoods 26 May 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Have most of these James Hunter titles, all superb. Culloden and the Last Clansman left a big impression. Not specifically Clearances, but finishes where they began.

65 26 May 2022
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Add Eric Richards' book to your list.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...