It's a sin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 08 Feb 2021

On channel 4. 

I found it an incredible series to watch. It starts the year before I was born so I lived through that era but knew nothing of it. I did some reading about it and found that they had no effective treatment for AIDS until I was 15!! I guess all my life where I have been aware of AIDS there has been treatment (in this country! I know not everywhere is so privileged). 

I remember going to volunteer in Russia in the early 2000s with street kids and orphans and I remember my mum being really scared for me that some of the kids could be HIV positive. I was baffled because clearly it was no risk to me if they had it as long as I took good precautions if I needed to give first aid etc. I realised that she didn't understand as much as I did about how it spreads etc, and this is something you see in this series. I now understand where her lack of understanding comes from. 

An eye opening and moving series, and very pertinent in a time of a new virus which people don't understand!

Nic Barber 08 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Found it incredibly moving and necessary viewing of a big subject many know a bit about, but not much below the surface. In this respect I found it akin to Chernobyl - though there is of course much more levity in It's a Sin - which leads to a greater magnification of its tragedies.

tjdodd 08 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

An amazing series.  I am deliberately rationing myself to watch it on Fridays so only up to episode 3.  I am old enough to have been aware of HIV/AIDS at the time but did not fully appreciate what was going on.  The writing and acting are not notch.  The way they move from laugh out loud funny to incredibly sad scenes is so well done.  I have a feeling I am in for an even more emotional rollercoaster for the rest of the series.

OP girlymonkey 08 Feb 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

What prompted me to watch it was I saw an interview with the lady who plays Jill's mother and it turns out that she is the person on whom Jill's character is based and the story is inspired by her. I'm not sure how closely it tells her actual story or if it is more loosely based, but I found it even more moving knowing that it was actually based on her. 

Welsh Kate 08 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I went to university in London in 1984 and loved the evocation of 80s culture in the series. I meant to watch it on a weekly basis but ended up binging it last weekend. I agree the impact of the devastation of AIDS has been well-highlighted by the series coming out just now. I thought it was brilliant, one of the best things I've seen on tv for years.

elliot.baker 08 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Same we just watched it all over the last few weeks and thought it was amazing. I didn’t realise AIDS only came about in modern times until I watched this - definitely a good educational introduction to it as well as being really funny and moving. 

I kept fact checking the stuff that was happening in it and it all seemed really accurate as well which was another positive. 

the sheep 08 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

As a teenager growing up when this happened I can clearly remember the tombstone adverts warning about the dangers 

it hit really hard and given our current situation a similar approach of scaring the shit out people would not go amiss!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...