Is this a painting of your local crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Cant 26 Nov 2022
 JLS 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I’ll take a punt on it being Roseberry Topping but I’m far from certain.

profitofdoom 26 Nov 2022
In reply to JLS:

The part on the right resembles RoseberryTopping, but not the part on the left 

Lankyman 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

A high hill overlooking farmland fields with more high ground in the distance. I wonder if it's somewhere like the Malverns or Shropshire?

deepsoup 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

The picture took me straight back to a roasting hot summer day quite a few years back when I climbed Truss Buttress and a couple of other easier routes at Gouther Crags with a friend I don't see much any more. 

My only visit there, so I have no idea if it really looks much like the place or if it's just the colours or some little detail that triggered that memory.

Lankyman 26 Nov 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

That's interesting. Gouther did spring to mind when I first saw the picture. I think the shape and layout are similar but the details and situation don't bear closer inspection.

Luke90 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

Surely that's the answer. I've not visited Gouther but the resemblance is uncanny from the pictures I've seen. If there are discrepancies, they must be down to the artist.

Dutch Maori 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Tryfan with llyn Ogwen to the left, if you squint your eyes, you can make out, milestone buttress and notched arrete

Rog Wilko 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

This is difficult to identify because it's a painting, not a photograph and painters usually plead artistic licence. It doesn't resemble Gouther Crag in the least, to me. The distant left part of the painting looks very agricultural and flat, so to my way of thinking the idea of The Malverns (with a lot of artist's licence as far as the crag is concerned!) is much more likely. Is Dutch Maori's suggestion just a joke?

In reply to Dave Cant:

I think it could be Craig Cwm Silyn:

https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Cwm_Silyn#/media/Delwedd:Craig_Cwm_Sily...

Actually, the crag itself is called Craig yr Ogof.

Post edited at 14:37
 Phil1919 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I just thought Spain, Costa Blanca, when I saw it!

Duncan Bourne 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I'm leaning towards something grit. Bamford or Crowden

Post edited at 16:36
 Slackboot 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Looks like a nice watercolour. I thought JLS's suggestion of Roseberry Topping is as good as any. 

If you get it framed make sure you get it done with  'white core' mounts. The acid is bleached out of the mountboard and is a good choice with regard to the consevation of an original painting. Also consider glass with a UV filter. This will stop it fading any more in the years to come. 

Sayon 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I was a bit confused by the scale initially,  but I also thought that it could be Shropshire given the background. I thought perhaps the rocks below the summit of the Wrekin,  or Caer caradoc.  I'm not sure about the well-defined nature of the arete,  however,  from memory I can't recall such angular features (but I could be wrong). A nice painting,  which looks as if it's been done on toned paper. 

ExiledScot 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Intake ridge, but the background isn't correct. 

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Gosh, UKC is weird. I came up with the suggestion that it was Craig yr Ogof in Cwm Silyn, but no one took it up, and one person (as so often here) simply 'disliked' on some principle best known to themselves. Well, here it is again, another shot:

https://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0990/Photos/IMG_20160815_154740.jpg

mbh 26 Nov 2022

I know what you mean Gordon. On the recent math thread I put a lot of effort into answering a question posed by one poster, as did the poster to whom the question had been addressed. Neither of us got a response let alone a thanks from the questioner, but both of us got a dislike for our troubles.

OP Dave Cant 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Thanks for so many thoughtful and interesting replies...although I can't understand why anyone would want to employ the dislike button!

I thought Roseberry Topping was the one to begin with, - and I have a non-climbing friend who lives nearby so I'll be contacting him tomorrow - the hills of Shropshire came to mind as I live quite near to there and Gordon's second view of Outside Edge also looked a strong possibility.

Will spend tomorrow pm doing a load of 'cross-matching' and see where that goes.

Thanks again!

In reply to Dave Cant:

I'm approx. 90% sure that it is Craig yr Ogof.

David Riley 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I'm convinced it is Hen Cloud,  painted from slightly lower than the photo I linked in exactly the same direction.  The background is a perfect match and the vegetation is right.  Wolverhampton artist ?

David Riley 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Easy to check.  Go and compare the rock from the lower point.  (Not my dislike of course.)

In reply to David Riley:

> I'm convinced it is Hen Cloud,  painted from slightly lower than the photo I linked in exactly the same direction.  The background is a perfect match and the vegetation is right.  Wolverhampton artist ?

It’s Arete Climb on Hen Cloud isn’t it, looking out towards the reservoir?

David Riley 26 Nov 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I think so.

In reply to David Riley:

It would be very helpful if someone could go out and take a picture matching this angle of 'Hen Cloud' to put our minds at rest. I can see where you think the line of Modern would be, but it makes no sense to the right of that. E.g. What's happened to the top of Bachelor's Buttress? 

David Riley 26 Nov 2022

On the other side, facing the Roaches ?

MikeR 26 Nov 2022

Shouldn't there be some slate quarry slag heaps in the middle ground if it's Cwm Silyn?

Also, I thought the grassy ledge low down to the left of the Kirkus face was a bit more prominent. Although it's been a long time since I've climbed there.

deacondeacon 27 Nov 2022
In reply to MikeR:

An artist doesn't necessarily go for the 'warts & all' approach. 😉 it's a painting, not a photograph.

deacondeacon 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I'd put money on that being an artists impression of Hen Cloud.

Offwidth 27 Nov 2022

It looks very similar to the mid section of the ridge on your photo, painted from closer in and lower down. I don't think it is Hen Cloud but I can see why David thought it might be.

Dave Garnett 27 Nov 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

> I'd put money on that being an artists impression of Hen Cloud.

It could be an artist’s impression of a lot of things but it did remind me of Hen Cloud - the rock doesn’t look very much like gritstone and it’s not quite steep enough, but the landscape in the background looks right.

On the other hand, Gordon’s right that the rock looks like Craig yr Ogof, but I’m not sure the background fits.

DaveHK 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Luke90:

> Surely that's the answer. I've not visited Gouther but the resemblance is uncanny from the pictures I've seen. If there are discrepancies, they must be down to the artist.

I'm not getting Gouther from that, the crag layout might be similar but the background is all wrong.

OP Dave Cant 27 Nov 2022
In reply to David Riley

.  Wolverhampton artist ?

No evidence but it's certainly possible.....picture belonged to my late brother and he'll probably have picked it up at a local ( Staffs/Shropshire) auction room - no records available unfortunately!

deacondeacon 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/hen_cloud-899/the_arete-16127#phot... 

The second picture of 'The Arete' looks fairly similar. Obviously not exactly the same, and from a different angle but could definitely be the same place.

pec 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

I've lost count of how many times I've been up Roseberry Topping, several dozen, and frequently seen it from other nearby places. It doesn't remind me at all of Roseberry. The slope to the right of the crags is wrong, the rocks wrap around the summit there, it's not a grassy slope. Also the base of the crags and the angle the crags meet them doesn't look right. Mostly its the top of the crags that's wrong, in the painting the top dips to the right to a vegetation covered hollow before rising to the summit. On Roseberry the entire summit is flat and rocky with a uniform dip to the right.

Sorry, I can't help you with where it is but it's not Roseberry

https://tinyurl.com/5bxerppu

https://tinyurl.com/5y2xz92a

Post edited at 21:11
 JLS 27 Nov 2022
In reply to pec:

Yeah, Roseberry was my opening gambit to bump the thread along. I now think the Hen Cloud people have it right.

Bulls Crack 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

My thoughts too Caer Caradoc maybe - the network of fields and small hills fit. Turn this through 90 degrees!

Post edited at 11:18

Lankyman 28 Nov 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

That is remarkably similar. I wonder if the original artist worked from a photograph printed off a reversed negative? I've come across lots of unintended 'reversed' photos in mags and leaflets.

Bulls Crack 28 Nov 2022

Rights sort of shape but you'd think they'd have included the lake/sea though

Emile.swain 28 Nov 2022

Google earth was fun to use, flying around Cwm Silyn. Though the relief isn’t that great. 

Rob Exile Ward 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

That was my thought - that could be Bredon hill in the left background. But if that's supposed to be Ivy Scar Rock, the artist was employing a lot of wishful thinking!

Rob Exile Ward 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Turn it 180 degrees and you have my vote!

Lankyman 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> That was my thought - that could be Bredon hill in the left background. But if that's supposed to be Ivy Scar Rock, the artist was employing a lot of wishful thinking!

Some of Turner's renderings of places I've visited are hugely exaggerated. Waterfalls cascading out of the sky kind of thing for a sixty foot waterfall in the Dales.

mbh 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Perhaps it is simply a work of fiction that incorporates aspects of what the painter knew of rocky outcrops, without intending to be a depiction of any one place.

Wimlands 29 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

Indeed…in fact if you look closely and squint a bit you can see a snow leopard at the base of the crag in the grass 😀

earlsdonwhu 29 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

If there is only a date , and not even a signature, presumably it could even be somewhere abroad.

Petrafied 30 Nov 2022
In reply to mbh:

> I know what you mean Gordon. On the recent math thread I put a lot of effort into answering a question posed by one poster, as did the poster to whom the question had been addressed. Neither of us got a response let alone a thanks from the questioner, but both of us got a dislike for our troubles.

Odd the dislikes for those posts, but more annoying but is the absence of recognition from the questioner for the time and effort we both put into the replies.  I had thought that they were putting forward a genuine query.  I doubt I'll bother again with such things.

OP Dave Cant 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Petrafied:

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to reply!

I have looked at photos of all suggested locations from as many angles as possible and am unable so far to come to any definite 'conclusion', although, to me, Hen Cloud and maybe Caer Caradoc are now looking likeliest. Although only circumstantial,  the local (West Mids/ Shropshire) artist  could fit in here.

As some have pointed out, this is a painting  not a photograph,  and elements of artistic licence may be present, eg the background....

and I am also finding a tendency here to 'see what I want to see' when getting close to a match!

I'm thinking a wander up Hen Cloud may be needed.....

Mike-W-99 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Artistic license and one or more of the above crags seems most likely. Here's the mighty north face of Ben Lomond for an example of the extremes that can get applied. https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/48644

(btw, when I 1st saw the post I thought Gouther too but thats the only one of the offerings I'd been to)

wjcdean 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

my initial thought was that that is the sea in the background and it resembles bosigran ridge

David Riley 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Look at the good detail on the light face in the centre of the painting.  On the lower right of it there is a stack of rectangular breaks / blocks.  Compare that to Ancient.  You could pencil in the climber. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/hen_cloud-899/ancient-16131#photos...

David Riley 30 Nov 2022
In reply to David Riley:

The black and white photo.

montyjohn 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Rights sort of shape but you'd think they'd have included the lake/sea though

You can see what appears to be a coastline half way up on the left.

You could argue the lakes are out of shot. 

Brass Nipples 30 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

Is that Snow Leopard I can see?

Offwidth 30 Nov 2022
In reply to David Riley:

As I said above, I can undestand why you think that, and you might well be right, but the outline of The Arete behind should be steeper (as Dave pointed out.... and see also one of the other photos of Ancient, from its rhs). If the painting is less realistic and more impressionistic, the detail you evidence might be illusory.

Rog Wilko 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

Love this comment. Gave me a good laugh, thanks.

profitofdoom 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

> As some have pointed out, this is a painting  not a photograph,  and elements of artistic licence may be present.......

More than elements! My great-great-great-great x 20 aunt knew the Mona Lisa very well (they used to go out for pizza together) and said she actually looked like the back of a bus and her eyes were only 1 inch apart 

Bulls Crack 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Looks a reasonable fit

subtle 02 Dec 2022
In reply to JLS:

Are you sure its not The Edge area at Loudoun Hill, painted from the "other" side from where you climb it?

JLS 02 Dec 2022
In reply to subtle:

Definitely not Loudoun Hill. Wrong colour of grass.

magma 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Dave Cant:

how about Slape Crag on Barf (looking SE across Derwent valley)?

felt 02 Dec 2022
In reply to magma:

The crag would be on the other side of the picture and the background would be hillier?

Cam Forrest 02 Dec 2022

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...