In memory of Charles Inglis Clark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 braalyriggit 06 Mar 2018

On the 100th anniversary of his death in Mesopotamia back on the 6th March 1918, spare a thought for Charles Inglis Clark. As a result of that day, I and many others over the years have benefited from his love of the Scottish hills, and the legacy his family left in his memory.

After layering up and gearing up numerous times over the last 30 years in the lee of its walls, only a couple of weeks ago did I, along with my son and two good friends realise a long-held desire to actually stay in the CIC hut. We enjoyed five brilliant days on the Ben and four great nights of conversation and craic with an eclectic mix of folk from all over Europe - sláinte to the family of Charles Inglis Clark for the foresight to fund the building of the hut in his memory, and to Charles himself and his days of enjoyment in the hills before his untimely death this day 100 years ago.

Bob Aitken 06 Mar 2018
In reply to braalyriggit:

Thank you for that very appropriate tribute.  "Charlie" was one of the bold young spirits lost to Scottish climbing in the First War, but his parents' generosity has ensured that his memory has lasted a century.

wercat 06 Mar 2018

a poignant 100th anniversary among many such

hmcooke 07 Mar 2018

A fitting tribute on these pages, a thought of thanks to Charles and his family.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...