I'm a Celebrity abseiling location?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AaronJ 15 Nov 2020

Hi, watching the new series in Wales and was wondering if anyone can recognise where they are abseiling?

It looks quite good for some trad climbing, I think in one spot I saw the camera crew attach a go pro to a bolt.

Would be interesting to know the location for when England is out of lockdown. 

wynaptomos 15 Nov 2020
In reply to AaronJ:

Looks like an old quarry at Penmon near Beaumaris, Anglesey.

tingle 15 Nov 2020
In reply to AaronJ:

Knowing ukc, I assumed the first I’m a celeb post would be a slam on Shane Richies belay technique. 

Phildavies91 15 Nov 2020
In reply to AaronJ:

Rhyd-y-foel quarry? 

James-m-h 15 Nov 2020
In reply to tingle:

Thank God for safety ropes or there would have been a crater...

DancingOnRock 16 Nov 2020
In reply to tingle:

I’m not sure why they called it abseiling.

Looked more like a top rope lower challenge. 

I assumed the actual lowering was being done by professionals from the top while the celebrities at the bottom just looked pretty while pretending to do something. 

youtube.com/watch?v=J-cWt0m7CiA&

Post edited at 12:13
 Iamgregp 16 Nov 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Looking at the clip it looks like Mo Farrah is doing the lowering (red rope), but that Jordan's also tied in to the white rope, which presumably is being paid out at the top by a pro so although Mo is doing the lowering, there's no way he's able to drop him.

Post edited at 13:09
In reply to Iamgregp:

The mess that was Shane Richie lowering off showed no tension in his rope at any time. 

It certainly wasn’t an abseil in any shape or form and the celebrities certainly weren’t doing the lowering. Still it kept the wife entertained. I was told not to say anything. 

Iamgregp 16 Nov 2020

Oh really?  I've only seen the clip posted on YouTube linked further up the thread, neither me or my other half watch I'm a Celeb.

Absolutely not abseiling, but then I reckon the general non-climbing public would know the difference between an abseil and a lower off, but will have heard the word and know it's something to do with a rope and going down so it'll do!

Sl@te Head 16 Nov 2020
In reply to AaronJ:

This quarry is truly choss! I've bolted quite a few routes in various quarries over the years and even though this is very local to me and just a stone's throw from my parents house I've never been tempted to climb it. I was incredibly surprised that a TV company would use it for an abseil, though you could see it had a few fresh rock scars where blocks had been trundled. I was last there a couple of weeks ago walking my dog, will go back soon to investigate what state they've left it in....

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/stunning-im-celebrity-2020-cliff-19286...

Post edited at 14:03
 Lankyman 16 Nov 2020

> I’m not sure why they called it abseiling.

Because 'titting about on a rope' can't be used pre-watershed

In reply to Lankyman:

Celebrity Dangling on a Rope. 

I can see a whole new game show. 

Andy Gamisou 16 Nov 2020

> I’m not sure why they called it abseiling.

> Looked more like a top rope lower challenge. 

> I assumed the actual lowering was being done by professionals from the top while the celebrities at the bottom just looked pretty while pretending to do something. 

Why's he shitting himself?

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

He’d worked himself into a bit of a state. 

The bit where he was physically sick beforehand has been missed off that clip. 

He was not happy. 

Lankyman 16 Nov 2020

> Celebrity Dangling on a Rope. 

> I can see a whole new game show. 

Or even 'Celebrity Hung Drawn and Quartered'? I'm sure Sky could fit it in somewhere.

Queenie 16 Nov 2020

> The bit where he was physically sick beforehand has been missed off that clip. 

It was horrible, I was eating fish curry while watching that.😕

Fear of heights? Or fear of hitting the ground from a height? We all know it's relatively safe, still scary for some folk. I brick it on a top rope sometimes, irrational but it still happens.

I'm sure you're a real mans man that never shits himself at anything but for us mere mortals the comfort bubble sometimes needs expanding a bit.

Edit for typo.

Post edited at 15:23
 mack 16 Nov 2020

Dopes on ropes?

Bacon Butty 16 Nov 2020

> Why's he shitting himself?

Call that a challenge to get some tucker stars?!

Jumping into a large vessel filled with all the Tory MPs, naked and soaked in rancid vegetable oil, with a few of them having yellow stars stuck between their butt cheeks would be more in keeping with the revolting nature of the show.

In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

To be fair I think I’d be worried if someone told me a celebrity with no climbing experience was going to lower me off a cliff unsupervised.

Astilath 16 Nov 2020
In reply to AaronJ:

I reckon it may be Fedr Fawr. 

Or possibly a spot by the old brickworks on the north anglesea coast. 

Not 100% sure. 

Sl@te Head 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Astilath:

It's the quarry about 400m east of Penmon Priory.

Ridge 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

> Jumping into a large vessel filled with all the Tory MPs, naked and soaked in rancid vegetable oil, with a few of them having yellow stars stuck between their butt cheeks would be more in keeping with the revolting nature of the show.

I thought I was f***ed up! You need professional help mate 😉

Astilath 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Cheers mate. I'd mentally ruled that out since the bags the danglers were after were attached to bolt hangers. Didnt think anyone had developed that quarry. 

Unless the bolts were placed for the show. Maybe theres some new routes up the choss. 😂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...