If you have any spare cash...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 15 Jun 2018

If you are feeling flush then this first edition of Hard Rock is tempting...!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22871702070&searchu...

Then again perhaps not. I just don't know how they can justify this exorbitant pricing.

DerwentDiluted 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It must be the rare version, where Ken Wilson advocated wholesale bolting of the mountain crags of the UK. Quite collectable I'm told.

russellcampbell 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I think this is one of a series of books which came out in the early 1980s. I've got 2 in the series. - The Big Walks and Classic Walks. Can't understand why the price is so high. Nor can I imagine anyone paying this price, even if they could afford it.    

Another strange one is Wainwright's Outlying Fells. The second edition of this, which I think has changes made by another author, costs £800 or thereabouts. At least it did a few months ago. My wife managed to get me a second hand copy of the original for around £10. Couldn't find any new copies for sale. 

Dan Arkle 15 Jun 2018

In reply t:

It's all about automatic pricing algorithms stuck in a feedback loop. If one puts the price up, the other does automatically! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05w5d72

No Human beings are involved! 

OP Sean Kelly 17 Jun 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

BTW does anybody recognise the climber on Sloth...Jim Perrin?

balmybaldwin 17 Jun 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Looks to be the result of a typical Amazon autopricing algorithm. Stock is low so price is high

felt 17 Jun 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

"Published by HarperCollins Distribution Services, 1974"

What's that all about, then?  The company didn't exist for another fifteen years.

mantelself 17 Jun 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I had someone explain this to me once... not entirely sure how accurate it is... but, it is reportedly more cost effective to change a price on amazon than remove a listing when you are anticipating incoming stock.

Post edited at 18:51
 McHeath 17 Jun 2018
In reply to felt:

The description on the website also says that the book has been revised with a list of updated grades to bring it up to date with the nineties. Hard thing to have done in 1974 ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...