Icons bbc2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Tonight, scientists. 

Short list- Marie curie, Alan Turing, Tu Youyou (discovered a malaria treatment) and Einstein 

surely a shoo-in for Einstein; not just the most important and recognisable scientist of the 20th century, but possibly of all time. 

But, wot no Crick and Watson? The discovery of the structure of DNA is surely a contender for the most important scientific discovery of the century, or indeed in history. Did Watson’s views on race and intelligence cost him and Crick a place on this short list, in addition to his honorary positions at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory...?

anyway, I’d have picked Alfred Wegener for the shortlist, for the insight that led to the development of plate tectonics, the unifying theory of earth sciences in the way that evolution is for life sciences.

Post edited at 22:30
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that Einstein would have voted for Maxwell. From my day job I’m voting for the Comte de Laplace. 

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Maxwell didn’t make it to 1900 so not eligible- otherwise would indeed surely have been on the shortlist. 

Certainly up there with Darwin as a front runner if they ever go on to do a follow up series of icons of the 19th century!

wercat 15 Jan 2019

antibiotics

or perhaps a virologist.  

Post edited at 08:43
In reply to wercat:

If the category had been ‘greatest scientific advance of the 20th century’, then anti microbial drugs would have been a strong contender 

but it was ‘icon’; which makes Tu Youyou’s inclusion odd- anyone that needed an extensive investigation to identify who they were is surely the opposite of an icon. She has an incredible story, and a deserved Nobel prize, but her work was an important advance within an existing field, rather than defining the entire landscape of a field for a century, as Einstein did.

and, if ‘icon’ includes a degree of recognisability outside those working in the area, Stephen Hawking fits the bill- possibly the most widely known scientist of the century?

wercat 15 Jan 2019

perhaps it depends on age?

To my generation, raised late mid 20th century, Alexander Fleming was certainly an icon.

Other less happy icons were the children in wheelchairs, born just before my time, suffering from the lifelong effects of Polio, something my own cohort and any later ones did not have to worry about.  I think that progress is easily forgotten by later generations.

ps I know I've said this before, hopefully not senile yet!

Post edited at 09:45
 toad 15 Jan 2019

I think Watson is seriously out of favour atm. Has made some iffy/ racist statements recently

Entertainers tonight.

chaplin, Bowie, Marilyn Monroe and Billie Holliday. 

Again, it depends on what they mean by icon; but perhaps Marilyn on the basis that thanks to Andy Warhol her face is literally iconic.

but, iconic entertainers of the 20th century, and no Elvis? Really? 

And as for Chaplin, as Captain Edmund Blackadder once said by telegram, please please stop 

Robert Durran 15 Jan 2019

They seem to be going for two women and two men per programme, which would tie their hands a bit. Anyway, at least I now know that "Billy" Holiday was, in fact, a woman!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...