Huw Lloyd-Langton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 17 Nov 2022

Back in the late eighties I had a couple of his albums - 'Night Air' and 'Like an Arrow'. I'd often crank them up on the way to the crag. I don't have a record player or tape deck now but recently I found a few of his recordings on YouTube. A live session for Radio 1 from 1986

youtube.com/watch?v=6NaJvhzvjsE&

Not the greatest vocalist, but boy, could he play guitar. I wish I'd seen him live but sadly he died in 2012 aged just 61.

alan moore 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

Did a lot with Hawkwind. Never followed his solo stuff....

OP Lankyman 17 Nov 2022
In reply to alan moore:

> Did a lot with Hawkwind. Never followed his solo stuff....

Oddly, I never really 'got' Hawkwind. A bit too spaced out hippy-ish?

65 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

That’s a blast from the past. I saw him play in Edinburgh in The Venue, must have been 87-88ish. Can’t recall much about it. I think I saw him with Hawkwind as well, he was the very clean cut one. 

Siward 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

No convincing needed here. My favourite guitarist is Huw. Just superb and a great fit with Hawkwind.

OP Lankyman 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Siward:

I don't go in much for 'favourites' myself. If pushed I'd probably go for Alex Lifeson as the guitarist who's churned out more top riffs and solos. Huw was definitely up there with the best and he had a unique sound. I love the soaring, echoing quality of his playing.

Siward 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, 'favourite' is probably misplaced but he usually comes out top when I consider the question, which is an important one after all

Disappointed when I learned that his Les Paul had been auctioned off before I found out....

dread-i 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

I saw him in Hawkwind a fair few times. Also him supporting Hawkwind. He did his set, had a fag and then played with Hawkwind.

Just found out that one of his tunes was used in Stranger Things.

nastyned 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

I saw him with Hawkwind, solo and as a guest with Underground Zero. By all accounts a lovely guy. I think my favourite of his is 'Moonglum' on Hawkwind's Live Chronicles:  youtube.com/watch?v=tnRqDsIngBo&

OP Lankyman 18 Nov 2022
In reply to nastyned:

Magnificent mullet! And guitar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...