How to play music through my car stereo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 11 Jun 2018

Culture bunker? Maybe

I have just fitted a new car stereo with a USB and aux socket, because I'm bored of trying to chase radio frequencies as I travel the length and breadth of the country. What's the best platform for music on my phone? I currently use Spotify but am thinking of leaving as I just don't use it enough. So is there a way I can access music and download it to my phone as simp[le as Spotify but without the monthly subs? 

VMT Tony

Dan Arkle 11 Jun 2018
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Spotify, and use it more?

Spotify free version?

In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Spotify, and use it more?

I guess that's the obvious answer.

> Spotify free version?

You can't store/download music without paying the premium (I don't think)

james.slater 11 Jun 2018

You want to download music to your phone without paying for it? There are probably a few methods available, but in the interests of legality I would suggest Spotify is the best! A fiver a month for a virtually endless supply of music seems worth it, certainly if like me you like to listen to new music a lot. 

Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2018

Dumb techie question and seems a bit late to ask...but do you have to chase frequencies on a DAB radio?

In reply to james.slater:

> You want to download music to your phone without paying for it? There are probably a few methods available, but in the interests of legality I would suggest Spotify is the best! A fiver a month for a virtually endless supply of music seems worth it, certainly if like me you like to listen to new music a lot. 

I'm paying a tenner, where did I go wrong?

ianstevens 11 Jun 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

You're not on the student plan?

In reply to james.slater:

> You want to download music to your phone without paying for it? There are probably a few methods available, but in the interests of legality I would suggest Spotify is the best! A fiver a month for a virtually endless supply of music seems worth it, certainly if like me you like to listen to new music a lot. 

No, I don't want free music. I just wondered if there was another platform that I could use where I buy the music I want, rather than £10 subscription to Spotify.

£5 - why am I paying £10?

Edit: I used to use iTunes (when I had an iPod) and that's what I was thinking about... is there an Android version?

Post edited at 14:53
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I don't have a DAB radio. 

wilkie14c 11 Jun 2018

A system that works really well for me is using the bbc iplayer radio app. I’ll download  a weeks worth of rad/mac, mayo drive time etc and connect my phone from headphone jack to cars aux jack, Ill carry on listenting with bluetooth ear buds when on the bike too. If you just want light varied music and banter, it works well for me. phone does t use much battery while playing back and the programmes are tiny, 3 hour rad/mac is 128mb.

Just did derby/turo/derby this weekend, 650 miles, couldn’t have done it without decent radio

kathrync 11 Jun 2018

> Edit: I used to use iTunes (when I had an iPod) and that's what I was thinking about... is there an Android version?

Google Play Music

In reply to wilkie14c:

Oh my word, of course, I can play podcasts and stuff! I forgot about that.

I have a ton of Desert Island Discs to get through (and the Archers)

Cheers for that

In reply to kathrync:

> Google Play Music

Aha - I think that's already on my phone. I'll take a look. Thanks

james.slater 11 Jun 2018

Ah Ian is right, the top bracket is £10, I have it on the student price.

Apologies, I must have misinterpreted your original post. I guess Amazon Music or Google Play Music may be a solution? 

MonkeyPuzzle 11 Jun 2018

There are loads of music purchasing websites and you just need a simple mp3 player app on your phone. I'm into weird electronica and I get lots of stuff from Boomkat. There's loads out there.

> I don't have a DAB radio. 

That is what I was getting at. I think you should have got a car stereo with one IF I am right about not having to retune.

but even non DAB digital tuners do a decent job of auto tuning when on the move, not perfect of course but I’ve never managed to get frustrated at the occasional need to press “scan” or whatever 

Alex Pryor 11 Jun 2018

Another alternative if you've got mp3 files is to stick them on a usb stick which you can leave plugged in and play on shuffle if you want. That way it's always available without having to faff about plugging it in or connecting with Bluetooth and loading your music app. And you don't have to worry about filling your phone up with music files.

In reply to Alex Pryor:

Yes I did exactly this on the one car I’ve ever owned that had a USB socket, it was perfect  (it didn’t have Bluetooth so I couldn’t do it via the phone and as you say, it doesn’t tie up the phone or whatever)

Now I don’t even have Aux input as my car is old. Got a 6 disc player and a tape deck though ha ha

actually many many years ago, before USB was common, I had a Discman thing that could play CDs full of mp3s and I would use this in car via one of those fake cassettes with a wire (poor man’s “Aux in”), worked quite well actually

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...