His Bloody Project - contains spoilers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

After following and contributing to the "books to read before you die" thread, I noticed some books mentioned which I had bought but not read, one being HBP.

Conveniently, I had just finished a book so picked it up Sunday morning and finished it yesterday evening. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it's structure very original. I had to check it was fiction as the style of the novel very much gives the impression it is in the "fact" camp (author researching his family history...). The setting is a real place, and looking on google maps, it doesn't appear to have changed much in 150 years. I wonder if the hamlet has seen a surge in visitors since the books release?

The story definitely left an impression on me, especially the subtlety of the implication of the injuries to Flora casting doubt on Rodericks' personal account which , up to the point of discovery, I was more or less buying. I think the author has been quite clever in that regard (although I am not the brightest of readers, so maybe others were suspicious from the outset). I also thought the handling of the account by the press at the end of the trial was an interesting development which I was not expecting. 

I would definitely recommend it to friends (although maybe not as a must read before you die book). 

Are his other books as good?

Harry Jarvis 22 Jan 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

His Bloody Project is a worthwhile read, for structure and history, and as you say, it can be recommended.

By contrast The Accident on the A35 really isn't very good - a somewhat pedestrian policier, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. 

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Thx!  I shall not rush out and buy his other books then and crack on with my William Marshall biography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...