Hilary Mantel RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kmsands 23 Sep 2022
In reply to toad:

Very good writer. Wolf Hall gets all the attention, but Beyond Black and A Place of Greater Safety are amazingly good (even if the latter sprawls a bit towards the end).

OP toad 23 Sep 2022
In reply to kmsands:

I bounced off Beyond Black. I must try again

In reply to toad:

I could not get along with Wolf Hall at all. I really tried, everyone was raving about it, but I found the dialogue impossible to follow as I had no idea who was actually speaking half of the time. I found it really off putting. Clearly my problem as hard to find anyone who read it who didn't love it.

Dave Garnett 23 Sep 2022
In reply to toad:

That's a bit of a shock, although I got the impression she wasn't completely well a while ago.  Imagine the anguish if she hadn't finished the Mirror and the Light!

stubbed 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I loved it, and the other two. Amazing that she could bring the story to life like that. I was totally in awe of her as a writer

Dave Garnett 23 Sep 2022

> I could not get along with Wolf Hall at all. I really tried, everyone was raving about it, but I found the dialogue impossible to follow as I had no idea who was actually speaking half of the time. I found it really off putting. 

Yes, it did take a bit of getting used to.  Worth it though, it's a really interesting style.

russellcampbell 23 Sep 2022

> I could not get along with Wolf Hall at all. I really tried, everyone was raving about it, but I found the dialogue impossible to follow as I had no idea who was actually speaking half of the time. I found it really off putting. Clearly my problem as hard to find anyone who read it who didn't love it.

I tried reading it twice and gave up both times after 50 or so pages. Like you, I wasn't sure who was speaking. The TV serialisation was great.

Hooo 23 Sep 2022

I had the same problem, but I persevered. I probably missed some stuff as a result, but it was still well worth reading.

it's sad she's gone, but I understand she'd had medical issues for a long time.

Post edited at 23:13
 Bulls Crack 27 Sep 2022
In reply to Hooo:

I wondered why she had chosen that style but it served to always keep  Cromwell  more central an important  than the King and, as others have pointed out, it makes the story  immediate and intimate. 

steveriley 27 Sep 2022
In reply to toad:

I've never read any of her stuff but borrowed her name for a little filler at West Nab  Hilary Mantle (f4+). Listened to this repeat on Sunday, she was a good guest and had some interesting stuff to day about writing and editing down - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b03c2mys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...