Higher than the sun RIP Andy Weatherall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 17 Feb 2020

Shocked to hear Andy Weatherall has died.

He provided the soundtrack for my carefree twenties. Screamadelica, Sabres of Paradise, anything on Junior Boys Own.

The genius was still on display on the F*ck Button's Tarot Sport.

Blue Straggler 17 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

I shall soon be listening to his production on One Dove’s “White Love”, to mark this. Gotta dig out my signed vinyl 

DerwentDiluted 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Gutted when I heard this. Soundtrack architect of much of my well spent youth.

One Dove! I remember taking an elbow to the nose for Dot back in my stage manager/stage security days. I'll give Breakdown a listen tonight and tip a glass.

pasbury 17 Feb 2020

I remember your enthusiasm for one dove from a previous thread🙂.

Personally I’ll be listening to Haunted Dancehall in the morning on my commute, if I drive slowly I’ll get to listen to it all. This might sound pretentious but, for me, it’s up there with Dark Side of the Moon for it’s beauty.

In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Turns out I never owned White Love, just on CD single. Also turns out that aside from that omission, I have a pretty extensive One Dove collection including a couple of vinyl rarities , much of it autographed by Dot. Weatherall of course was a huge part of that sound. The long version of Breakdown is awesome. 

I was never “dancey/techno” enough to really get into Sabres of Paradise but I did love “Wilmot”

In reply to pasbury:

> This might sound pretentious but, for me, it’s up there with Dark Side of the Moon for it’s beauty.

Nothing pretentious there. Just because I didn’t sell as many?! 
I think One Dove’s Morning Dove White aged much better than Screamadelica, but let’s not go there! 

Weatherall did a 12 hour set in a little tent at All Points East in 2018, it was basically a chill out zone for people needing some respite from the bands (Nick Cave, Patti Smith, Courtney Barnett, Saint Vincent, Nadine Shah). Needless to say, I didn’t see much Weatherall but I saw a bit when it was very empty. He looked utterly content, no matter how few people were there, he just looked like he was enjoying the process of doing some old-Skool live mixing 

pasbury 17 Feb 2020

The dude loved music, it shone through everything he did.

> Gutted when I heard this. Soundtrack architect of much of my well spent youth.

> One Dove! I remember taking an elbow to the nose for Dot back in my stage manager/stage security days. I'll give Breakdown a listen tonight and tip a glass.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent but where was that? I only ask because they had such a short existence as a band and barely did a full tour iirc. 

DerwentDiluted 17 Feb 2020

> Not to go off on too much of a tangent but where was that? I only ask because they had such a short existence as a band and barely did a full tour iirc. 

It was Stirling University 1993-94. In another galaxy far far away I was the resident Indie DJ and Stage Manager.  We didn't get many bands but One Dove played there at some point.  It was a great time, which left me with hearing loss, a vinyl collection that spanned several time zones,  many great memories, and many things that would be great memories if I could remember them. 

Post edited at 20:57

Fantastic, thanks. I am probably one of the few total punters, non-industry, who managed to see them more than once! Followed Dot’s solo career with interest afterward, she is clever and good . 

but I should end the tangent; this thread is for Andrew. Thanks 

Bob Kemp 18 Feb 2020

Andrew Weatherall elevated Morning Dove White into something special and extended my musical horizons in the process. Always interesting over the years and didn’t seem to give a toss about fame and success- just followed his enthusiasms. I was surprised that my son, a keen dub, grime and d&b follower, hadn’t heard of him but then I guess that this was inevitable given his disinterest in his career profile.  

A real loss anyway. 

Flinticus 18 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Smokebelch is on the very short list of tunes my wife has compiled to play at my hopefully still modestly distant funeral.

Back in the mid-90s my wife's (then relatively new girlfriend) sister and her boyfriend drove over from England to pick us up in my small home town of Kilkenny, south east Ireland. We then all drove back (clearly taking the ferry) and my Smokebelch CD single was played repeatedly on that trip. It stands out as a carefree youthful adventure and was actually the start of a new life. Somewhere along the way, that CD was lost / stolen. 

Sabres formed part of the core sounds for my earliest forays into the dance / clubbing scene. Thanks, Andy.

Bobling 18 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

One of those "Say it ain't so!" moments, much too soon. 

On the upside the music in the chill out room upstairs just got better. 

RIP. 

Mooncat 19 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Really sad, I was lucky enough to meet him socially a few times at my brothers bands gigs. I don't think I'll ever meet anybody as enthusiastic about all music. 

RIP

BnB 19 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Andy loved playing the Golden Lion in Todmorden where he and Sean (ALFOS) must have appeared about 5 times in the last couple of years. I've never seen a DJ more engrossed in his work. Andy and Sean would mix off each others choices for a couple of hours and, at some point, Sean would take a back seat while Andy, as if in a trance, would conjure half an hour of novel and ephemeral beauty out of his deck. Not songs, as such, just magical sounds. During my partying days, I saw every DJ under the sun, but no one, and I mean no one, could summon such new and unrepeatable beauty as if by some divine hand. That is, until I saw Andy play. 

Alex@home 19 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

Very sad news. One of the people I'd love to have seen but somehow never got round to.

I did a tribute mix to him a few years ago of some of his productions and remixes. It's here if anyone wants a listen

https://www.mixcloud.com/HighPeakDJ/easter-weather/

pasbury 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Alex@home:

No I never got to see him play either - strictly a bedroom fan.

I'll have a listen to your mix later.

Jon Stewart 19 Feb 2020
In reply to BnB:

> no one, and I mean no one, could summon such new and unrepeatable beauty as if by some divine hand. That is, until I saw Andy play. 

Sad news indeed. I saw him play in a club in Sheffield in the 2000s and he played chunky electro-techno-house for a few hours. It was really really good, but I couldn't say it wasn't divine or beautiful I'm afraid. 

BnB 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Sad news indeed. I saw him play in a club in Sheffield in the 2000s and he played chunky electro-techno-house for a few hours. It was really really good, but I couldn't say it wasn't divine or beautiful I'm afraid. 

Sad that you never saw the latter day Andy. It was like watching composition rather than mixing. Always with a massive spliff sticking out of the side of his mouth. I've looked for a link but sadly his compositional moments aren't very visual. Here he is playing my local pub only 3 months ago. Not a great vid but skip to 5'45 for a couple of minutes for the big payoff while Andy stays in his trance. Lovely guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=-tDqYsi9EZA&

Several of my closest friends are 'avin it up front. Frightening bunch, eh?

Post edited at 14:57
 Jon Stewart 19 Feb 2020
In reply to BnB:

That looks great! Andy Weatherall in the local, I could have got into that...

coachio 19 Feb 2020
In reply to pasbury:

RIP - I've been revisiting his Masterpiece album since the news. Superb and gives a great feel for what he could do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...