Happy Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 27 Dec 2022

It's back, New Year's Day at 9pm. Apart from Detectorists, it's the only serving on the box that I've actually made a note to watch. I just hope, six years on, that I'm not looking fondly back with rose tinted specs. A friend who used to live near Hebden Bridge told me that the name 'Happy Valley' came from the locals' widespread use of drugs. Well there you go.

mountainbagger 27 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

There's a Happy Valley near me. Famous for herbs but not, I think, the sort you mean...

"The 67-hectare (170-acre) site is a steeply sided valley with large areas of grassland and wooded slopes. The diverse chalk grasslands on the eastern and north-western sides are rich in many species of herb which are uncommon in London, and the nationally scarce man orchid and round-headed rampion have also been recorded. Devilsden Wood on the western side has a canopy of ash, oak and hazel. Trees such as midland hawthorn and plants such as sweet woodruff are characteristic of ancient woodlands."

Chris Murray 27 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

>  I just hope, six years on, that I'm not looking fondly back with rose tinted specs.

You're not.

I have on dvd and have watched it a few times over the years. Utterly brilliant TV!

CantClimbTom 27 Dec 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

There must be many places in UK called Happy Valley. The only time I've ever had any weirdness climbing (top rope solo, although completely unnecessary as just solo/boulder would be better) was at Happy Valley on Southern Sandstone the first and only time I've been there. I was wandering around the woods at the top of the crag with a short bit of rope rucksack coiled on my back when I was approached by a gentleman who appeared from behind a bush and asked me what I was looking for, I said climbing and he gave me a sideways puzzled look so I pointed to the bit of static rope on my back and he suddenly realised *his* misunderstanding and disappeared urgently/rapidly. A warning to others climbing at happy valley that there may be people not interested in climbing l. Just thought I'd mention as a warning to others...

Post edited at 23:23
OP Lankyman 28 Dec 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Wainwright mentions a 'Happy Valley' (locals' name) on one of his walks near Smearsett Scar. Apparently, because of the peaceful atmosphere. There is no public right of way and so it's always felt a bit tense the few times I've trespassed down that way.

Fishmate 28 Dec 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

That's amusing. I've never seen anything like that there. Maybe the dude is always lurking about but took a shine to you?

OP Lankyman 28 Dec 2022
In reply to Fishmate:

> That's amusing. I've never seen anything like that there. Maybe the dude is always lurking about but took a shine to you?

Maybe having a coil of rope over your shoulder is some kind of signal in certain circles? Like black leather chaps and a cowboy hat ...

Post edited at 15:50
 CantClimbTom 28 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

Oh..?  Doesn't everyone else climb in crotchless leather chaps, maybe it is just me then

Bulls Crack 28 Dec 2022
In reply to Lankyman:

We interrupted filming for 30minutes a few years ago whilst helping to put in a skylight giant velux skylight window. It had to be lifted by crane (£500/hour) over the houses that backed onto the filming site and they were most put out 

OP Lankyman 29 Dec 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> We interrupted filming for 30minutes a few years ago whilst helping to put in a skylight giant velux skylight window. It had to be lifted by crane (£500/hour) over the houses that backed onto the filming site and they were most put out 

I would like to think, as a classic local route, they'd be more tolerant of you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...