Good climbing books (not ones for training)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisClark1 31 Mar 2019

I'm reading Pyschovertical at the moment and am completely taken by the narrative and writing especially the climbing descriptions. It really fulfils that fix of adventure and inspiration that I need when I'm not climbing.

What books would you guys recommend which have a similar style?

In reply to ChrisClark1:

I'm not so good at writing reviews but out of the few climbing books I've read, FIVA is an immersive read, written by a regular contributor to these forums. Something a bit different to a typical mountaineering book. The narrative is different in style to Kirkpatrick but like Psychovertical it is deeply personal. It is intoxicating and sobering at the same time.

bouldery bits 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

I recommend Echoes by Nick Bullock.

OP ChrisClark1 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Thank you, I think the personal battles and raw descriptions of the climbers' struggles is one of the reasons I'm enjoying Psychovertical so I will be sure to give FIVA a look!

PaulJepson 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

'Learning to Breathe' by Cave and 'This Game of Ghosts' by Simpson are the best climbing books I've read, I think.

Bonnington's one about the '53 Everest climb is really interesting as well. Interesting to see how things were done back then and get an insight in so many legendary British climbers on the expedition. 

Nbrain 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Some of the old climbing books are great. 

Annapurna by Herzog

WH Murray’s old Scotland books - mountaineering in Scotland/undiscovered Scotland 

White spider

i also really enjoyed into thin air and Simon Yates books make good reading plus The Bond by Simon Mcartney

Post edited at 14:49
Gone for good 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Touching the void by Joe Simpson is a classic. 

I really enjoyed Reinhold Messners book about Nanga Parbat. The Naked Mountain. Superbly written and a tragic and deeply personal account of his solo climb. 

Conquistadors of the useless. Lionel Terray.

Mountains of my life. Walter Bonatti.

The Kurt Deimberger omnibus is worth a read, especially the Endless Knot. 

It's worth reading Captain Scott's journals as well. Scott's last expedition.

joeruckus 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Seconding Fiva, it's good stuff. I also really enjoyed Tony Howard's Troll Wall for more exploits on the same big wall (UKC excerpt here https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/the_first_ascent_of_the_troll_... ).

John Porter's book One Day as a Tiger: Alex Macintyre and the Birth of Light and Fast Alpinism is ace.

Tony the Blade 31 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

The Ascent of Rum Doodle

HansStuttgart 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

kiss or kill.

WaterMonkey 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

My New Year's resolution this year was to read a book a month for this year.

So far: Up by Ben Fogle, This game of ghost - Joe Simpson, Alone on the Wall - Alex Honnold. (Currently reading 9 out of 10 climbers but that doesn't fit your criteria). All excellent books and thoroughly recommend the first 3.

My next book will be The Push by Tommy Caldwell I think, depends if any other recommendations jump out in this thread!

Post edited at 12:44
 Andy Fielding 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Similar to what others have said. Fiva by Gordon Stainforth, The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer and Psychovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick. One more to add, Statement the Ben Moon story by Ed Douglas. 

Sean Kelly 01 Apr 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> My next book will be The Push by Tommy Caldwell I think, depends if any other recommendations jump out in this thread!

Excellent read quite raw at times. Life's not always about climbing. It's more important than that!

Pedro 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Two of my favourite all time books, The Bond and The Troll Wall. Both superb imo.

peebles boy 01 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Vertical Pleasure by Mick Fowler. A great antidote to books by climbers who take themselves and the things they do too seriously. 

Kemics 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Magicians glass is an excellent book. Collection of short essays on climbing. Easy to dip in and out of 

jack_44 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

I'd recommend Tears of the dawn by Jules Lines. Great book!

rogerwebb 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

My life, Anderl Heckmair. 

RX-78 02 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Eiger direct by Dougal Haston and Peter Gillman 

Bobling 02 Apr 2019
In reply to jack_44:

F**k me, how much?  It's on the wishlist, hopefully one day.  Up there with the The Last Blue Mountain and The Black Cliff.

More affordable - the one I always recommend on these threads "Deborah/The Mountain of my Fear", David Roberts.  Both brilliant reads and totally different and available in one book.  A bit outside of the UK-centric tip, but worth it.

Edited to add - ah, the one I was looking at was a signed copy for over £300, the unsigned ones are still steep though!

Post edited at 23:20
 Tom Last 03 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Deep Play by Paul Pritchard is pretty much the best climbing autobiography. No doubt his other books are great too.

Other excellent classics not yet mentioned are Feeding the Rat by Al Alvarez, Space Below My Feet by Gwen Moffat, Hands of a Climber by Steve Dean, Mountain Days and Bothy Nights by Brown/Mitchell. Many more, plus a fair amount of crap. 

None of these are anything like Psychovertical, but are still excellent. 

Route Adjuster 03 Apr 2019
In reply to ChrisClark1:

Burgess book of Lies - great read

Look out for Andy Kirkpatrick's other books - not quite as gripping a Psychovertical but equally good

I'm currently reading Tides by nick Bullock - a good read

Just finished Ueli Steck's My life as a climber - OK

Also just read Buried in the Sky, an alternative view of Himalayan climbing - the Sherpa perspective, found this one hard to put down, excellent book.

Older books - WH Murray's books are an excellent read and a great history account too.  What those guys did with the equipment they had was astounding.

WaterMonkey 03 Apr 2019
In reply to jack_44:

> I'd recommend Tears of the dawn by Jules Lines. Great book!

Just realised I recently bought his finger board off of him from on here. Presumably I'll be as good a climber as him soon then..

I'm going to have to buy his book now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...