Godless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 20 Dec 2017
Latest treat from Netflix

"God? What God? This here's the paradise of the locust, the lizard, the snake. It's the land of the blade and the rifle. It's godless country. And the sooner you accept your inevitable demise, the longer you all are gonna live."

Wonderful stuff from Steven Soderbergh and Scott Frank.
In reply to BnB:

Another one for my list. Too little time!
 Theo Moore 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

I really enjoyed this too. Great characters and cinematography. The final shoot out is really well done too (I don't think that counts as a spoiler - every Western has to end with a shoot out....).

They did a really good job with Frank Griffin's arm - before I looked up who the actor is I assumed the actor himself only had one arm.
womblingfree 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

Binge watched that in 2 days, and yup, very very good shoot out. I got borderline emotional.
Removed User 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

I loved it. I thought it started out really dark before lightening up a little and then returning to the dark. The final shoot out was one of the best I've seen.
 felt 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

Any other recommends from Netflix, as we're nearly thru with The Crown 2, which has been a wonder?

Got a bit into Master of None, but gave up after 3 episodes. May try Lillehammer, although wondering if it's just a poor man's Sopranos.

Anyone watched El Chapo? As good as Narcos?
OP BnB 20 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

Mindhunter is good in a nerdy way. Rather uptight as a drama, perhaps reflecting the FBI of the times, but a fascinating insight into the early days of criminal profiling.

The People vs OJ Simpson is just superb if you haven't caught it yet.

OP BnB 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> I loved it. I thought it started out really dark before lightening up a little and then returning to the dark. The final shoot out was one of the best I've seen.

I get bored during shootouts. Give me a ten minute close up of a villain's face squinting into the scorching sun while he intones biblically to his acolytes about cleansing the soul through torture and murder.

Fortunately we were both well catered for.

Godless felt like the filmic reimagining of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. The best western-set novel ever written. Check it out.
 Stichtplate 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

Blood Meridian is absolutely superb, Tommy Lee Jones bought the rights a few years ago but still no signs of a production. After all the recommendations I'll give Godless a go. If it's half as good as Deadwood then I'll love it. (apparently there's a Deadwood film in the pipeline).
Removed User 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Godless felt like the filmic reimagining of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. The best western-set novel ever written. Check it out.

LOL. I am a huge McCarthy fan. Just waiting for the film version of Blood Meridian but I think they will need to be very careful. Who would play the judge? Still some of the best lines I have ever read:

"Moral law is an invention of mankind for the disenfranchisement of the powerful in favor of the weak. Historical law subverts it at every turn".
 Stichtplate 20 Dec 2017

> LOL. I am a huge McCarthy fan. Just waiting for the film version of Blood Meridian but I think they will need to be very careful. Who would play the judge?

Michael Shannon or Jeffrey Dean Morgan..... but I'd have to see what they look like bald.

Escher 20 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

Really enjoyed the first two series of Lilyhammer the third not so good and gave up with it. It's a dry comedy, nothing like the Sopranos. Worth a watch for sure.

Have you seen Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul? Stranger Things? Wondering the same about El Chapo. Have been watching an old C4 series Skins. It's rather good.
 mark hounslea 20 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

If you liked Godless have a look at Bone Tomahawk
 felt 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Escher:

Yes, seen Breaking Bad. We started on Saul but it was so slow-paced we gave up; I love the actor who plays Saul, he does sleaze perfectly, and might revisit it one day. Can't do horror in my household, so sadly no Stranger Things...

Can't wait for the last lot of episodes from season 7 of Mad Men. Not sure why the wait. That, Narcos, BBad and The Crown are the highlight of Netflix for me to date. Only had it for about four months, but it has changed my viewing habits entirely, and freed me at last from Gregg Wallace.

Also going to watch Sons of Anarchy one day, as it might be deeper than it initially looks.

In reply to BnB:

Thanks for the recommends. Not heard of the OJ one.
Removed User 20 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

> Any other recommends from Netflix, as we're nearly thru with The Crown 2, which has been a wonder?

If you like something a little dark ( and perhaps you have seen the original film) then Fargo is excellent, both the 1st and second seasons.

Ozark isn't too bad either although a little predictable.
 felt 20 Dec 2017

Yes, seen both seasons, excellent, forgot about them. I think I enjoyed the second more, without Tim. I'd have liked to have seen Steve Buscemi in it from the film version, perhaps my favourite actor, but the Netflix versions were obviously standalone vehicles and it wouldn't have felt right. Just a bit of sentimentalism on my part.

Ozark I started, and lost interest during the first episode.
Removed User 20 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

>
> Ozark I started, and lost interest during the first episode.

Some ya win and some ya lose
Removed User 21 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

One thing that many people miss out on is the really excellent Brit series. I realise that you could have seen these on terrestrial TV but FWIW "Happy Valley" and "The Fall" are equal to, and often superior to, their US counterparts.
In reply to Removed UserThread:

Fauda - a thriller series following a Mossad death squad which infiltrates Palestine undercover assassinating Hamas terrorists. I enjoyed it and found it pretty interesting. Made in Israel and subtitles and episodes are only 35 minutes long (which is quite refreshing...keeps the pace up) and isn't as one sided as you might expect. Just don't expect a glowing review from Krikoman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4565380/
In reply to felt:

"Anyone watched El Chapo? As good as Narcos?"

Not as good as Narcos, but watchable if you like this kind of thing. Much lower budget.

I thought Ozark was fantastic. But then, I think Jason Bateman is fantastic
 felt 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

OK, thanks.
Removed User 21 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:
Back to McCarthy, a much more important topic of conversation, did you know there was a Cormack McCarthy Society?

http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/

Can you imagine the depths of discussion as they try to analyse and interpret some of his writing?
Post edited at 14:03
OP BnB 21 Dec 2017

> Back to McCarthy, a much more important topic of conversation, did you know there was a Cormack McCarthy Society?

> Can you imagine the depths of discussion as they try to analyse and interpret some of his writing?

I can imagine. I studied literature. Mostly pre C20th and I'd have loved to get stuck into CM. Coincidentally, my daughter, who's studying English, has Blood Meridian on her nightstand. Lucky thing. It's an absolute masterpiece.
 Chris_Mellor 21 Dec 2017
In reply to mark hounslea:

Bone Tomahawk? Jeez that was gruesome and dismal. Not to be recommended in my opinion.
 LeeWood 21 Dec 2017
In reply to BnB:

> "God? What God? This here's the paradise of the locust, the lizard, the snake. It's the land of the blade and the rifle. It's godless country.

Hmm ... I note anomaly in your tanscription : for me 'It"s a godless country' is correct, but the use of upper case in your 2nd God may reveal uncertainty ?? You must be a believer deep down !
OP BnB 21 Dec 2017
In reply to LeeWood:

In the opening the speaker is referring to the all-seeing, omnipresent (and capitalised) God of the interlocutor. By godless, the narrator refers to the reality of a world without G/god
Removed User 23 Dec 2017
In reply to felt:

> Yes, seen both seasons, excellent, forgot about them. I think I enjoyed the second more, without Tim. I'd have liked to have seen Steve Buscemi in it from the film version, perhaps my favourite actor, but the Netflix versions were obviously standalone vehicles and it wouldn't have felt right. Just a bit of sentimentalism on my part.

In there second series there was a very interesting observation from the Ted Danson character about the effect that the Vietnam war had on American society. That it was responsible for creating a generation of young men who simply lost the limiters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...