Glastonbury on TV this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 24 Jun 2022

Glastonbury - lots of TV coverage (set the digibox recording) and on iPlayer for 30 days.

There's always people I have never heard of that turn out to be great and some golden oldies who turn out to be supreme professionals.

Is there anybody not to be missed?

Post edited at 21:12
 broken spectre 24 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Not sure but I'll be tuning in to Primal Scream in 10 minutes on the John Peel stage, I hope they're not going to be embarrassing because unlike their music they aren't timeless, Bobby Gillespie is 61!

Sealwife 24 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Enjoying Billie Eilish with 14 year old daughter.

St Vincent also excellent.

toad 24 Jun 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

OK, not aimed at me, but not sure how "live" BE was. Lots of miming going on. Think maybe had to be there for the show

snoop6060 25 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I like the i player on demand coverage but the 24/7 Glastonbury circle jerk on radio 6 is getting on my tits. Glastonbury is great, sure, but bloody nora give it a rest. 

Tony Buckley 25 Jun 2022
In reply to toad:

Thought it was a bit underpowered myself.  What happened to youthful rebellion and anger being an energy and all that?  There's plenty to be angry about but the closest BE seemed to get was a (rightful) denunciation of the decision about Roe vs Wade.

Or maybe I'm just not target market, what with being a 59 year old northern English bloke.

Now, Gong are playing at some point.  Where can I find them?

T.

snoop6060 25 Jun 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Amyl and the sniffers are playing Sunday if you’re after some of that. Highly recommended. 

Tony Buckley 25 Jun 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

I'll see if I can find them.  Always open to new stuff, which is probably why my house has boxes full of CDs stashed around it.

T.

snoop6060 25 Jun 2022

Never heard of em but there is also a band called pavey ark playing which got me thinking of crag names that would make good band names. I could see ceuse working for a 3 piece French punk band. 

Post edited at 11:14
 Tony Buckley 25 Jun 2022
In reply to snoop6060:

A rock band, I trust?

T.

timjones 25 Jun 2022

>  What happened to youthful rebellion and anger being an energy and all that?  

It was never compulsory

It depended on which youthful clique you chose to follow.

Wimlands 25 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Accidentally caught Alison Krauss and Robert Plant last night and thought they were really good…

They threw in a couple of Led Zep numbers and they sounded very good together.

jonzza 25 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

From Friday's lineup I'd recomend:

Wet Leg - The up&coming pop-punk band of the moment

Dry Cleaning - achingly indie but very good

Alro Parks - beautiful voice, great songwriting

Girl in red - Clever, upbeat yet sad pop

Pheobe Bridgers - Same again

Little Simz - Had hands down the best album of 2021. Even if you don't think you like hip-hip, give her a chance

From Saturday:

Haim - smart chatchy pop from genuine talents

Black Midi - Caught them live last year and they're brilliant, sets always have lots of improvisation

Self Esteem - Another in the "clever indie pop" catergory. Her album was one of the best of 2021, despite the impressively bad album cover

For Sunday:

Coutney Barnett - Proper wordsmith

Amyl and the Sniffers - raucous austalian punk; saw them live earlier in the month and it was total chaos in the best way

Turnstile - Very good if "post hardcore" sounds like your thing

Kendrick - obviously

magma 25 Jun 2022
In reply to jonzza:

just checked out Little Simz- my kind of rap..

and Black Midi are rather good- never heard of 'math rock' before..

Post edited at 14:53
 tjdodd 25 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Just watched the full Sam Fender set on iPlayer.  Very very good.  He is so modest he doesn't seem to know what he is doing at Glastonbury let alone the Pyramid Stage which makes the faultless set even more impressive.

OP elsewhere 25 Jun 2022
In reply to tjdodd:

Favourites so far Foal, Blossom (both new to me) and High Flying Birds.

In reply to elsewhere:

I thought I’d tuned in to some hellish multi day Later with Jools Holland. Worse still the presenters seem genuinely excited to see the acts. 😳

OP elsewhere 26 Jun 2022

Paul McCartney with guests onwards was best bit of the set.

broken spectre 26 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Loving it, there's so much musical talent, all the more impactful after the last two and a half years.

All be it via the BBCiPlayer  😅

magma 26 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

golden slumbers for finale at Glasters-good luck with that

was hoping he would do 'goodnight tonight' youtube.com/watch?v=9nciyvCglmU&

critter 26 Jun 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Lots of good newish bands already mentioned off the main stage. But some of the headliners were current in my parents youth and I'm mid 50's!

Saw Noel Gallagher's HFB, what rock dirge. Ended switching to watching grainy B&W Elvis clips from the 50's on Sky Arts. Proper youthful rebellion in its time!

deacondeacon 26 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Jamie T was brilliant and The Libertines were proper good too. 

Radio 6 coverage is cheesey as shit though. Like listening to Radio 1 djs. Perhaps I'm just getting old though, I find myself putting Radio 4 on more and more🙂

Also moaning about Glastonbury not keeping it real is a waste of time. I went 25 years ago and the free love hippy lot were saying exactly the same thing. There's lots of festivals all over the country that have 'kept it real' over the decades. You can't expect the biggest festival in the UK to do the same.

Just listening to Herby Hancock as I type which is pure heaven.

Forest Dump 26 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Amyl & the Sniffers on at 5pm. I'm a bit miffed Yard Act haven't got any coverage, nor Bad Boy Chiller Crew

Ridge 26 Jun 2022
In reply to toad:

> OK, not aimed at me, but not sure how "live" BE was. Lots of miming going on. Think maybe had to be there for the show

I think theres a lot of miming going on at Glastonbury, and not just backing tracks where the song needs the singer to be doing complex vocal stuff. Mrs Ridge is just watching Sigrid, and she's clearly miming.

neilh 26 Jun 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Thoroughly enjoyed St Vincent..

aln 26 Jun 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

I love Primal Scream's music. I've seen them live 3 times and they've been shite every time.

sandrow 26 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Best so far:

The Mary Chain

Fontaines DC

In reply to critter:

My grumpy post was written on the back of the Download festival at Castle Donnington which was tremendous.

lorentz 27 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I was a bit underwhelmed by the line up this year, but I thought Jarv Is (Jarvis Cocker's band) were superb on The Park stage and the massive turnout for such a small stage thought so too.

Will catch up on Fontaines Dc and also Sleaford Mods who I missed. Caught Idles live and they blew it away. The mosh pit erupted. Serious punk energy with Black Flag/Rollins vibes but in an English way.

Started watching Kendrick Lemarr but thought I'd catch it on iplayer later as it all got a bit highbrow what with the interpretative dancers. So I flicked over to watch the superb high camp of the pet shop boys. Brilliant stuff. Loved the subtle "From Mariupol to Kyiz Station, which will you choose the hard or soft option" slipped into the West End girls encore. 

Will also catch up on Bicep which seemed to check all the Glasto ravey boxes, with great light show and lovely ethereal tunes.

Peace and Love, all Glasto crew! ✌️🙂

In reply to aln:

I was really excited to see Primal Scream at the Wickerman festival a few years ago. I think we stayed for about half of their first track. Such a disappointment

darbs 27 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I'd never heard of YUNGBLUD but thought he was great..!! Worth a dose of looking at

OP elsewhere 27 Jun 2022
In reply to darbs:

Loads of viewing & recommendations (see above) to catch up on, mostly people I've never heard of like YUNGBLUD who turn out to be very good (I saw one song). I do like Glastonbury for that.

Justaname 27 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Warmduscher are good for some shouty psychedelic post-punk, I also enjoyed Years & Years.

I tried watching Kendrick Lamar but it didn't float my boat.

Post edited at 12:30
 snoop6060 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Justaname:

I love hip hop and have done for years but I simply can’t get into Kendrick Lamar. It’s weird because everyone I know thinks he is basically god. Obviously he’s crazy talented, just wish I liked it! 

Martin Hore 27 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

> Paul McCartney with guests onwards was best bit of the set.

I've just watched that, now it's appeared on iPlayer. I saw the first half "live" (actually an hour behind thanks to the BBC) and thought it was good but I was waiting for more Beatles tracks and McCartney's voice seemed to lack volume (probably the BBC recording). 

The second half was brilliant and quite emotional. The backing team and guests were excellent - including the appearance from Lennon - as was the audience participation. It was great how the set spanned the entire Beatles catalogue. The reaction of the audience was quite remarkable given that the majority weren't born when the music was first performed. 

McCartney at 80 is a credit to my generation (plus). Sadly he won't be around to perform this stuff for many more years, but I'd like to think someone will be performing this music in a few centuries time - will it then be revered as "classical" music?

Martin

Post edited at 21:03
 mike123 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Martin Hore: I was determined to watch the whole McCartney set  “ live “ but fell asleep halfway through , having been at a family party all day and then having a few pints afterwards . I’ll watch the second half  after Cerys blues show tonight  . Of the other stuff I watched the highlight for me was little Simz s , not my usual fare by a long chalk but having dipped in I watched it all . She was excellent in top boy and by Jove she can hold a stage . 

Iamgregp 28 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Just got back from Glasto yesterday.  As others have said here my standouts were Little Simz and Kendrick (both of whom I was already a massive fan of, so hardly a surprise)

Herbie Hancock was brilliant, Seun Kuti also great but his set was rather mired by it being cold and wet just as he played - it brightened up right after he finished!

Diana Ross was fun, but her voice is terrible these days, her band must all have bad backs they were carrying her for so long.  It was Karaoke level. 

Didn't watch Macca but people I was with did and said "if it wasn't for the fact that it's Paul McCartney it would have been shit".

Had a fantastic time, and as usual am already planning for next year! 

ripper 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

We saw Macca and by half-time was wishing I'd dropped into Leftfield to watch Yard Act instead - but it picked up in part two, and the Springsteen reveal was a proper moment. Let it be, Hey Jude, Blackbird, Helter Skelter and more, and of course the Lennon duet, were great, so long as you allowed yourself to be carried along.

Elsewhere we really enjoyed Friday night's John Peel line-up - Phoebe Bridgers, Jesus & Mary Chain and Primal Scream, as well as Warmduscher, Wet Leg, Courtney Barnett, some bloke called Jarvis in the Park, lunchtime sets from Ziggy Marley and Les Amazones d'Afrique, stumbling across some fantastic jazz jamming from Tankus the Henge and friends in a little tent in Green Futures at around 3am while taking the scenic route back to our tent, etc, etc....

Also - Amyl & the Sniffers, wow, made me feel like a teenager again leaping around like an idiot. Left that one with a big grin on my face  

Iamgregp 28 Jun 2022
In reply to ripper:

Yeah my friends were there with their kids so left Macca early and missed all the bits towards the end - so no Springsteen, Grohl, Lennon etc and missed some of the big classics so no surprise they were slightly underwhelmed!

I was there with my one year old daughter so we didn't go into any small tent stages, or see any of the late night stuff, so it was a bit different for us this year!  

Gutted to have missed Ziggy Marley, but we were still getting our shit together at the tent

In reply to Iamgregp:

I want to go next year. Ive never been, how do you get tickets?

Iamgregp 28 Jun 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

It's a bit of lottery, but we've managed it by getting together with up to six friends (the maximum number of tickets an individual can buy) each of you with all the registration details of all the rest of the group, then on the day they all get released each of you goes online hammering the refresh button and trying to buy them for all.

First step is to pre-register of course!

If no joy on that, there's all sorts of volunteering opportunities that will get you in too.  Means you'll have to work, but it's a good laugh and I'd rather be there and have to work a few shifts than not there at all.  Plus you get perks like staff camping, cheap food, routes and paths that aren't open to the public and crew bars where the booze is cheap!

aln 28 Jun 2022
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Yes,

Clauso 29 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Just watched McCartney's set again... 80?

Seriously; what headliner can ever hope to top that? It just won't happen. Ever.

... Amyl and the what?

jonzza 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Clauso:

According to the lead singer ""In Australia we call poppers Amyl. So you sniff it, it lasts for 30 seconds and then you have a headache – and that's what we're like!".

Anyway my favourite set I've caught up with so far has been Turnstile. Incredible energy and their guitarist was wearing a very nice arcteryx jacket. I also really enjoyed watching Lorde, everyone there just seemed to be having a really nice time.

magma 29 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

watched some of the acts in the 'glasto dance party' category yesterday - Bicep, Metronomy, The Avalanches and Little Dragon - enjoyed them all..                        ..

Iamgregp 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Clauso:

Lots of them.  And in my opinion Kendrick Lamar did that the following night

Iamgregp 29 Jun 2022
In reply to magma:

The set from the Avalanches was really fun, but nothing at all like what I expected.  Had it not been for a quick encore of Since I Left You second last song of the set I would have thought I turned up to the wrong gig!

Great set though, really enjoyed it all the same.

Clauso 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Various:

Maybe... I'll withhold further comments until I watch Kendrick and Amyl headlining at the age of 80.

Iamgregp 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Clauso:

Gotcha, so when you said "Seriously; what headliner can ever hope to top that? It just won't happen. Ever."

What you actually meant was "Paul McCartney is really old and I doubt anyone else will ever headline Glasto at his age." Which I would have had absolutely no argument with!

As a nostalgic heritage act there's no one bigger, and the draw of being able to say "I've seen a Beatle" is massive.  As for me, I'd rather watch Megan Thee Stallion

Post edited at 12:55
 magma 29 Jun 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

yeah, much fun, helped by a great selection of vocal samples

Metronomy was a surprise as the band responsible for that earworm track..

mark s 29 Jun 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Watched a fair bit, best for me by a mile were idles 

Also enjoyed a fair few bands calling out the right wing politics 

In reply to mark s:

> Watched a fair bit, best for me by a mile were idles 

They wee very good. 

> Also enjoyed a fair few bands calling out the right wing politics 

Meh, angry leftwing music is a bit like the amyl mentioned above, you feel euphoric for a short while but come down swiftly realising it has been going on for decades, centuries even with little or no effect. 

I also enjoyed Amyl and the sniffers, a bit samey but such energy.

I enjoyed the jesus and Mary chain but was left wondering why they got Tony Bennett in to sing for them. 

Offwidth 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Clauso:

Best ever? If McCartney wasn't a national treasure he would never have got away with much of the first half of his performance. The second half was great.... shame we can't say that about his career. I think we will see more 80 year olds in the future as we are a nation of sentimentalists and too often over-rate old talent past its best and overlook the new (until they become famous).

The other depressing thing was the audience looked 99% white.

Mike-Lea 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Ridge:

I watched this live (reluctantly-the family were keen) & was surprised how good it was.
There is no way it was mimed. 

Can only think the vocals/pictures may be out of sync on the TV coverage?

Ridge 30 Jun 2022
In reply to Mike-Lea:

Possibly, there were a couple of instances where she seemed to completely fluff her lines with no change in the soundtrack (if it was mimed).

Edit: There may well be a delay now you mention it, due to mixing and digital systems.

Post edited at 08:25
 Nic Barber 01 Jul 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

I'm watching Gabriels on the Park Stage for the second time and am completely transfixed - fantastic and the voice on the singer is just wow (They're in the 'hidden gem' section on iPlayer).

Also catching up on other things whilst I work. Plenty to go but Wet Leg, First Aid Kit and Little Simz all great. Primal Scream were good in the background, could imagine it not being an amazing live set though. The band were tight.

I even found Olivia Rodriguez good when I caught a bit of her live. As for Billie Eilish, I just don't get it. Got through 10 minutes but it just seems like well produced ASMR to me - it feels like the backing music needs a rapper over it to make it interesting.

Iamgregp 01 Jul 2022
In reply to Nic Barber:

Gabriels came up on a Glasto playlist we listened to on the way and we thought they sounded pretty good.  Went to check them out and although it's a bit outside of what I'd usually go for I really enjoyed it.  

Self Esteem came up on the playlist too, but we never made it to her unfortunately!

Iamgregp 01 Jul 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Tell you who was a bit disappointing....

AJ Tracy.  It wasn't that he was bad, it's just that the way that he's translated his music to a live show was a bit odd.  He's a grime artist, with some quite UK Grarage-y influenced numbers but the show was a live band, rocking guitars etc.  Bit weird if you went along hoping for a dance and got served up a rock show instead....

I enjoyed it, it wasn't bad.  It just wasn't what I was expecting but not in a clever way like Kendrick achieved.

Also my daughter did a massive sh!t and had to have her nappy changed just as he launched into Ladbroke Grove!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...