Gems from this month's Outside Magazine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 01 Oct 2019

A while back I got a subscription to Outside, off the back of how many great books I've read that have started as magazine pieces in it.  True, it's full of gear fluff and branded content, and true it's got a colossal North American bias but there's still loads of good stuff that comes through.  So I'm going to experiment and spread the love to the UKC community and share the best bits, for me, from this month.

I give you:

"An Ocean Plastics field trip for Corporate Executives"
A bunch of mega-corp executives and a bunch of eco-warriors get together to go on a boat trip to visit the floating mound of shi*te called the North Atlantic Gyre: https://www.outsideonline.com/2400590/ocean-plastic-pollution-soulbuffalo

and

"The Last Days of John Allen Chau" 
A more nuanced account of the missionary who was killed a while back on North Sentinel Island by the indigenous people who have ferociously spurned all contact with the outside world: https://www.outsideonline.com/2400030/john-allen-chau-life-death-north-sent...

Hope some of you might fine it interesting.  If so let me know and I'll try to remember to post again next month.

ScottTalbot 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Bobling:

I just finished the Ocean Plastics article and it was a really interesting read! Thanks for that

I'll take a look at the other one tomorrow

Hooo 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Bobling:

Great articles, please keep posting.

The plastics one is truly shocking and depressing. Whatever we do now to improve things, all living things will contain plastic. Forever. The only thing we can do is stop it getting worse.

The one about the missionary was interesting, but I still think the original knee-jerk reaction summed it up pretty well. A deluded idiot got what he deserved. 

Dave Garnett 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Hooo:

> The one about the missionary was interesting, but I still think the original knee-jerk reaction summed it up pretty well. A deluded idiot got what he deserved. 

Not just what he deserved, but what he appeared to want.  Well-written, detailed and balanced article though.

OP Bobling 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Not just what he deserved, but what he appeared to want.  Well-written, detailed and balanced article though.

I think that's what got me though - he wasn't some dumb nieve fool out of his depth, he was well prepared, knew exactly what he was facing and went ahead and did it anyway in the knowledge he was likely to die.  I think saying he wanted it is a bit strong - the last diary entry..." I DON’T WANT TO DIE!........God, I don’t want to die.".  Whatever though, it looked behind the sensational, simplistic headlines at the complex and troubled humans beneath them.

JLS 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Bobling:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Strange thing religion... it's not for me.

Dave Garnett 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Bobling:

> I think saying he wanted it is a bit strong - the last diary entry..." I DON’T WANT TO DIE!........God, I don’t want to die.". 

OK, but there was a disturbing willingness to be a martyr - and although the narrative was about bringing salvation to the benighted and doing God's Will - actually it was, as so often with religious zealots, all about him.  

ScottTalbot 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Not just what he deserved, but what he appeared to want.  Well-written, detailed and balanced article though.

I don't get that from the article at all, and I certainly wouldn't say he deserved it!?

I'm not even slightly religious, so don't personally understand his motivations, but do think he genuinely intended to save these people and didn't want to die doing it.

No one deserves to die alone on an island, even if it is their own fault for making stupid decisions.

cb294 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Hooo:

That was my impression, especially when he claims that he knows contact is forbidden by the Indian government, but he had permission from god. This special pleading is absolutely typical for the relationship between religionists and the rest of society, and  completely pisses me off. Nothing complex underlying this, just an exaggerated sense of entitlement. So I would agree he got what he deserved.

CB

profitofdoom 03 Oct 2019
In reply to cb294:

John Allen Chau? I have read the article and given a great deal of careful thought and consideration to his case

Final conclusion, he was an ignorant idiot

RIP and commiserations to his friends and family for their loss

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...