Free solo Oscar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Alex and co have won the big prize! Is this (an Oscar) a first for rock-climbing? (Brother Gordon, help me out!)

McHeath 25 Feb 2019
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Is this (an Oscar) a first for rock-climbing? 

Not sure, but I think that that Tyrolean traverse in "Cliffhanger" won Best Supporting Role in 1994.

DerwentDiluted 25 Feb 2019

Please God tell me Alex got out of his van and slouched along the red carpet in a chalky North Face T😀

Dandan 25 Feb 2019
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Not quite but his Tux *was* made by North Face...

Blue Straggler 25 Feb 2019

>  Is this (an Oscar) a first for rock-climbing? 

What do you mean here by "rock climbing"?
Cliffhanger was actually nominated for three Oscars (it did not win any)
Not sure about other such films (aside from that there was nothing Oscar-related for Vertical Limit or The Eiger Sanction or Scream of Stone)

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Well, I'll answer for John, since I've been away and only just noticed this. Rock climbing means rock climbing, not Alpine or Himalayan style mountaineering (usually involving mixed snow and ice). Just as winter climbing in Scotland is not rock climbing. I'm fairly sure that a quite large majority of UKCers are rock climbers as opposed to (alpine/ or himalayan) mountaineers. I'm fairly certain that this is the first Oscar for a rock climbing film. And a very, very well deserved one.

Alex was actually looking extremely smart at the Oscars ceremony. The very opposite of slouching.

Well, for once I’ve  heard of the winner 

roar 28 Feb 2019

Ah, that would of been awesome! ...or at least worn scruffy approach shoes!

@Dandan, I was a little disappointed the tux wasn't made from one of the Schoeller fabrics!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...