/ Forth installment ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019

http://news.sky.com/story/new-matrix-film-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-and-lana-wachowski-to-return-for-fourth-instalment-11790162

A turn up for the books.  

I don't really see the point but I enjoyed the films and their impact of the industry was immense. 

Wonder what's gonna happen now.  

Mr Anderson.......

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

I don't know if I read the same article or another one, but they are talking in one article (regarding who to get for Morpheus) as if Laurence Fishburne is dead. He's not. Although Neo died at the end of Revolutions didn't he?

Anyway I kind of disown the first two feature sequels. 

The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I don't know if I read the same article or another one, but they are talking in one article (regarding who to get for Morpheus) as if Laurence Fishburne is dead. He's not. Although Neo died at the end of Revolutions didn't he?

Yes sacrifices himself to save the machine city/matrix

graeme jackson 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

>  Although Neo died at the end of Revolutions didn't he?

so did trinity

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

> >  Although Neo died at the end of Revolutions didn't he?

> so did trinity

So did the Wachowskis' credibility

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> their impact of the industry was immense. 

Do you think so? Everyone said this at the time and ever since (including myself) but I now wonder what that impact was. Did they pave the way for the 00s superhero juggernaut? I'd say not - X-Men and the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man did that. 
Did they pave the way for high-concept, risk-taking original stories? Possibly, yet none spring to mind. Arguably you could say that stuff like the adaptation of Cloud Atlas could not have happened without their names attached, but then that film was a financial disaster anyway. 

 

The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Do you think so? Everyone said this at the time and ever since (including myself) but I now wonder what that impact was. Did they pave the way for the 00s superhero juggernaut? I'd say not - X-Men and the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man did that. 

> Did they pave the way for high-concept, risk-taking original stories? Possibly, yet none spring to mind. Arguably you could say that stuff like the adaptation of Cloud Atlas could not have happened without their names attached, but then that film was a financial disaster anyway. 

I'm thinking the bullet time shooting method and style more than anything.  

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> I'm thinking the bullet time shooting method and style more than anything.  

I meant to mention that. So...we got increasingly cheap knock-offs of a narratively pointless special effect, in ever more dull cheap sci fi action thrillers, using bullet time to try to get people interested in the trailers for those dull cheap sci fi action thrillers. 

Did bullet time impact/influence the industry in a meaningful way?

The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I meant to mention that. So...we got increasingly cheap knock-offs of a narratively pointless special effect, in ever more dull cheap sci fi action thrillers, using bullet time to try to get people interested in the trailers for those dull cheap sci fi action thrillers. 

> Did bullet time impact/influence the industry in a meaningful way?

Oh I'm sorry, 

I made a mistake.  

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Oh I'm sorry, 

> I made a mistake.  

Not at all, it was a genuine question TWS! As I said above, I myself have said "The Matrix was impactful" so I am here thinking out loud, asking MYSELF as well as you and others, "what WAS that impact?". No personal criticism intended

Xharlie 21 Aug 2019

Why're they making one numbered "4" if they never made a "2" and "3"? (https://www.xkcd.com/566/)

This is a cash grab. I can't imagine any other reason to revive the franchise, twenty years after the original.

Were will they go with the story? The original Matrix was great, in its day, and still good for a movie night for nostalgic reasons. The original doesn't feature an epic story, though -- it proposes the setting and premise, reveals the struggle of humans against machines, has some fun proposing some features and abilities granted by the "Matrix" concept, has a bit of fun action, gives Neo a chance to transcend his doubts and, consequently and subsequently, his mortal origins and become "the one" and then ends at exactly the right time, telling us via a phone call in the dying moments that humans now have a saviour, Neo, and that the tide is about to turn and leaving us to imagine whether the humans broke free of their bonds or not, as we choose. (I wish more movies ended this well.)

It's a good film but, when you boil it down, there's not really anywhere to go beyond the struggle of humans against the machines and that's done already -- and also tedious and boring. We've got it already: humans good, machines evil, some people can bend the rules while in the Matrix and stop bullets, done.

Maybe this new one will just be some "tale from the world of the Matrix". In this case, I fully expect it to be entirely mediocre but probably no worse than average.

Alternatively, they're going to try to force the new film to be "relevant" or current or make commentary on today's issues or society, in some way, and that will almost surely be tedious and contrived.

Xharlie 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Bullet time was perfect for the Matrix because of how and when it was used. The whole film told the story of Neo's becoming "the one" and the bullet time aided the telling of that because it was deployed at the very moment that Neo first realised his ability to dodge (and, ultimately, to stop) bullets in flight.

The problem is that, after that instant, it becomes totally boring. The viewer already knows that Neo has that ability; Neo knows he has that ability; deploying it over and over is just a slow special effect.

And that's why I think that the Matrix sequels fell flat and that it wasn't a good mechanic in other films. Neo's discovery of the ability is interesting; actually using it is just work.

HOWEVER, it was HUGELY impactful for games because exploiting it one's self, interactively, is properly fun and doesn't really get old. Exhibit A: the Max Payne games. (Which were also incredibly well voice-acted.)

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Xharlie:

I thought "bullet time" was not the name given to the slow-motion "bullet dodging" effect, but actually the name given to the "array of cameras in a 180 deg arc to freeze-frame and move around a character" (e.g. Trinity mid-leap in her opening scene). Am I wrong?

The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not at all, it was a genuine question TWS! As I said above, I myself have said "The Matrix was impactful" so I am here thinking out loud, asking MYSELF as well as you and others, "what WAS that impact?". No personal criticism intended

Sorry it's just me , I gathered it was not intended in any way. I don't have much in me to argue or debate  any points about it .  On a good day I would have more in me to debate it's metrit.  

I'm flagging a bit.   

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

No, my posting could easily be read as critical, it's not just you. Take it easy. EAT SOMETHING please if you are flagging.

The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> No, my posting could easily be read as critical, it's not just you. Take it easy. EAT SOMETHING please if you are flagging.

Thank you.  I'm living on protein shakes and bars at the moment.  I have zero appetite.   I can manage them ok but struggling to get enough down me.  

BnB 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not at all, it was a genuine question TWS! As I said above, I myself have said "The Matrix was impactful" so I am here thinking out loud, asking MYSELF as well as you and others, "what WAS that impact?". No personal criticism intended

I first saw it at 6am at the end of a night spent raving at Tangled, one of Manchester’s more out-there clubs. I can assure you it had a proper impact in the state I was in

DaveHK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Forth installment ?

Will it be set in Edinburgh?

Post edited at 20:09
The Wild Scallion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Sorry. I'm a tw*t.   I can't even spell correctly. 

DaveHK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Sorry. I'm a tw*t.   I can't even spell correctly. 

It wasn't a dig at your spelling it was just a wee joke. I'd pay good money to see Begbie in the the Matrix.

Post edited at 22:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.