Folk / Americana recommendation - Rosalie Sorrels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 20 Nov 2019

I know there a good few fans of the genre on here so I thought I'd come and recommend what has been a new discovery for me, although I am perplexed as to how her name has not come under my radar before as she seems to be well known and legendary. 
Via two of her songs being standouts on the excellent Smithsonian Folkways compilation "Classic Railroad Songs" which I recently bought, I've locked onto Rosalie Sorrel's classic "Folk Songs of Idaho and Utah" , it's brilliant - there is a great sense of humour to a lot of the songs and delivery, a very simple clear arrangement (often just vocal and very minimal guitar). 

If you want a biographical documentary about the polygamy of one of the founding fathers of Mormonism, but done as an hilarious short almost nursery-rhyme type of song, look no further than Rosalie's "Brigham Young"

If you want a pretty-sounding jaunty ditty which, under inspection of lyrics, turns out to be as tragic as most of Roy Orbison's hits but super efficient, clocking in at just under 100 seconds, look no further than "The Wreck of the Old Number Nine"

She's ace (or at least this album is)

Tom Valentine 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

She looks just like a Waterson!

Rigid Raider 20 Nov 2019

I'll check her out thanks as I seem to be mining an American folky seam at the moment. Latest discovery is Trampled by Turtles who are definitely more bluegrass than folk, as well as Mandolin Orange - I'm in love with Emily - and not American but Australian, Wil Thomas - note the single L and listen to his lovely song The Lawley.

youtube.com/watch?v=y6Y7dhLrM7k&

Post edited at 14:19

Does this count as Americana?

youtube.com/watch?v=tWyGiNUUvaw&

(They're from Crewe!)

toad 20 Nov 2019

Jonathan Byrd is worth a listen. 

Removed User 20 Nov 2019

I got very deep into Townes Van Zandt for a period last year, had to give him up though - was affecting my outlook on life somewhat I think!

cb294 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

The best bit about TbT is that they used to be a metal band before turning folksy. I saw them in San Diego last year, one of the best gigs I ever went to.

My current favourite is Nickel Creek

youtube.com/watch?v=jFycqnOpifQ&

and I'm with her, another band with Sarah Watkins of NC

youtube.com/watch?v=BTDUDRIEifQ&

CB

cb294 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Did you see the film about his life, Be Here To Love Me?

Had to take a break from him as well, even though Rear View Mirror must have been one of my most played albums at the time.

CB

Turned you into a Leftie, I bet.

Removed User 20 Nov 2019
In reply to cb294:

Not yet - I've been meaning too.

Heartworn Highways was on Vimeo for a while but got taken down sadly. Well worth getting hold of though.

Removed User 20 Nov 2019
In reply to cb294:

On a more bluegrass note:

Cahalen Morrison & Eli West do a mean version of TVZ's Loretta on Our Lady of the Tall Trees

youtube.com/watch?v=-i39JNDoyGc&

Post edited at 15:52
cb294 20 Nov 2019

Thanks for the heads up, will see if I can catch it somewhere else!

CB

russellcampbell 20 Nov 2019

> I got very deep into Townes Van Zandt for a period last year, had to give him up though - was affecting my outlook on life somewhat I think!

TvZ is a hard listen on record. Saw him live 3 times and he was very cheery and funny although the 3rd time I saw him he was so drunk he would start  one song and forget what he was singing and break into another one. Very sad. He died a year or two later. What a waste of talent.

Pleased to hear that "Wild Colonial Boy" is basically the one that we know: bit disappointed that "House Carpenter" doesn't seem to be related to the version on my very old Pentangle "Basket of Light" LP. (Only listened to the sample soundbites)

Removed User 20 Nov 2019

Devils Jukebox not exactly Americana but will put a smile on your face

youtube.com/watch?v=m9_F0_1U2IM&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...