Film Quiz Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Which 1956 film links Sicily ,Skye and the Border Ballad "The Battle Of Otterburn"?

Lankyman 05 Jul 2020
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Love Me Tender? Elvis did like his ballads.

In reply to Lankyman:

The clue is a line from the Battle of Otterburn

The line from the Battle of Otterburn appears in the opening sequence of the film

The film is set during WW2

Lankyman 05 Jul 2020

Just checked the lyrics and still not sure. I am, however, somewhat more knowledgeable about Anglo-Scottish affairs than I was half an hour ago. Must go for a walk on Otterburn sometime.

Lankyman 05 Jul 2020

> The film is set during WW2

Ice Cold in Alex?!! The Dambusters? Must go to bed - early shift start tomorrow!

bouldery bits 05 Jul 2020

The Guns of Navarrone 

In reply to Lankyman:

"Last night I dreamed a dreadful dream beyond the Isle Of Skye- I dreamed  a dead man won a fight and I dreamed the man was I."

Tom Valentine 05 Jul 2020

I googled so wont spell it out but its title is very similar to that of a Coen Brothers film starring Billy Bob Thornton......

In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes, you got it. Well done. A true story apparently and one of the strangest incidents  in WW2

Tom Valentine 05 Jul 2020

I can't take much credit for typing in the first seven words of the line you quoted and the word "Sicily"     

In reply to Tom Valentine:

My Dad who was involved in the Sicily landings took me to see the film as a very small boy around 1958. He knew nothing about the background to the film

Lankyman 06 Jul 2020

So what's the film? Is it based on Operation Mincemeat? I've read the book and seen the documentary.

In reply to Lankyman:

"The Man Who Never Was"

In reply to Lankyman:

Yes,it was Operation Mincemeat. I,ve never been convinced about the story that the body was that of a tramp from Cardiff who had died after consuming rat poison. There have apparently been other theories about who the man actually was. 

To be  convincing surely the body would have had to be that of someone who had actually died by drowning.

The body of Jack Melville who drowned in the sinking of HMS Dasher in the Fifth of Clyde  seems much moreikely to me.

For lovers of the Goon Show, they made their own version in 1958. Wonder if Bluebottle was the man who was "deaded"?

Tom Last 06 Jul 2020

Ring of Bright Water?

Post edited at 12:12
 Lankyman 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

Filmed in 1969. If you've ever read the Gavin Maxwell books it's well worth a visit to Sandaig where he lived with his otters. There's a real atmosphere about the place. I went down years ago and enjoyed swanning about on the rocks and little tidal islands.

Tom Last 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Ah thanks. Yes it struck me only after that the events themselves were likely still ongoing in 1956.

Yes, definitely a fan of his books and thank you, I visited Sandaig for the first time last year and was quite moved by the place.

Cheers  

Lankyman 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

> Yes, definitely a fan of his books and thank you, I visited Sandaig for the first time last year and was quite moved by the place.

I also felt quite moved. It was a long time since I'd read Ring and hadn't expected to experience anything much there. I suppose being the only person visiting at the time heightened my feelings? The fact that his ashes and otter are buried there too makes it a very poignant location. I've had similar experiences at other places too where significant events occurred. It does make me wonder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...