Favourite Pogues song?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Jan 2021

The genius of Shane MacGowan's lyrics makes this a difficult choice. I do favour "summer in Siam" but it is atypical, and been intrigued by Lorca's Novena. But then I go towards "Thousands are sailing" and "Rain Street" for a more traditional feel.

aln 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed User:

Sally Maclennane

GringoStarr 19 Jan 2021

NW3 is an incredible song, but for some reason not on any of their albums. The Broad Majestic Shannon and Dark Streets of London are up there as well. Genius is the right word for MacGowan's lyrics.

The Potato 19 Jan 2021

Another vote for thousands are sailing, but I also like hell's ditch

Enty 19 Jan 2021

The Sick Bed Of Cuchulainn

E

Removed User 19 Jan 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I only started this thread because I was listening to a Blue Grass band called Trampled by Turtles and they did a cover of the Pogues song "Dirty Old Town"

mike123 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed User: not a bad track on the first two albums, and rum sodomy and the lash is usually in my top 10 of time / desert island discs. but at a push navigator , which  sounds , like much of their early suff , like a traditional tune , but im fairly sure was written for them . yep so it was, to be sure.

Post edited at 19:54
 Herdwickmatt 19 Jan 2021

I enjoy Trampled by Turtles, but have never really given the Pogues enough time. I remember my dad used to have Rum, Sodomy and the Lash in the car (the tape you understand) and we were allowed to listen to it when mum wasn't around.

webbo 19 Jan 2021

> I only started this thread because I was listening to a Blue Grass band called Trampled by Turtles and they did a cover of the Pogues song "Dirty Old Town"

Actually it’s not a Pogues song it’s by Euan Mcoll Kirsty’s dad.

philipivan 19 Jan 2021

A pair of brown eyes is the one I always think of, might be something to do with an Irish lass I was seeing at the time. 

Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2021

The turkish song of the Damned

webbo 19 Jan 2021
In reply to philipivan:

I’m always intrigued about the bit which sounds like surviving an explosion in that song. I have often wondered if it was about a pub bombing.

Removed User 19 Jan 2021
In reply to webbo:

> Actually it’s not a Pogues song it’s by Euan Mcoll Kirsty’s dad.

Interesting, although I guess it is recognised as a Pogues song.

Now Kirsty, there was a girl who could sing.

AdrianC 19 Jan 2021

I've always liked I'm a Man You Don't Meet Every Day.  IIRC it was sung by the bass player, Cait O'Riordan, who subsequently went off with Elvis Costello.  I saw them play it at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1986 and clearly remember feeling the balcony swaying and down as several hundred people all jumped up and down in time.

Removed User 19 Jan 2021
In reply to AdrianC:

> I've always liked I'm a Man You Don't Meet Every Day.  IIRC it was sung by the bass player, Cait O'Riordan, who subsequently went off with Elvis Costello.  I saw them play it at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1986 and clearly remember feeling the balcony swaying and down as several hundred people all jumped up and down in time.

Yes, I have this one on my usual play list but left it out of my favourite list as I don't think it was written by MacGowan and think it is a traditional Irish rebel song.

DaveHK 19 Jan 2021

> Interesting, although I guess it is recognised as a Pogues song.

MacColl recorded a few versions of it but this is haunting.

youtube.com/watch?v=x34GQop3VaY&

webbo 19 Jan 2021

One of my favourites is The band played waltzing Matilda but again it’s a cover. 

wynaptomos 19 Jan 2021

I’d say anything off side 1 of run, sodomy and the lash. One of the finest sides of an LP in history, surely!

robate 19 Jan 2021

Thousands are sailing was written by Phil Chevron.. the Pogues were so talented all round and the best concert I ever saw, around '87 I think, possibly to do with a roadie handing out industrial quantities of resin beforehand, brilliant

climber34neil 19 Jan 2021

Not quite the pogues but Shane macgowen and the pope's song "Donegal express" has a nice sentiment to the lyrics!

Removed User 19 Jan 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> MacColl recorded a few versions of it but this is haunting.

Yes, wonderful.

Tom Valentine 19 Jan 2021

I would say it's recognised as a Dubliners song since they were probably the first to introduce it to a wide audience. Even more so, the Spinners who had it as one of their most played tunes in the era when they actually had their own show on BBC . They were certainly the first people I heard sing it, same as the Manchester Rambler . 

Post edited at 21:36
Removed User 19 Jan 2021
In reply to robate:

> Thousands are sailing was written by Phil Chevron..

My mistake, still like it though.

toad 19 Jan 2021

It was written about Salford, we had to learn it at school in the 70s. 

Tom Last 19 Jan 2021

My wife and I danced to Misty Morning, Albert Bridge at our wedding, so I would have said that, but sadly it just haunts me now.

I think maybe, If I Should Fall From Grace With God, is maybe my favourite and a fitting choice.

What a band.

FBSF 19 Jan 2021

Rainy Night in Soho.....amazing, also check out Nick Caves cover

Post edited at 22:07
 Dave Garnett 19 Jan 2021

> Yes, I have this one on my usual play list but left it out of my favourite list as I don't think it was written by MacGowan and think it is a traditional Irish rebel song.

One of my favourites and (climbing trivia alert) was one of Joe Simpson’s Desert Island Discs and featured prominently in the stage version of Touching the Void.

There’s something rather chilling about it, the protagonist definitely sounds a bit of a psycho and someone you wouldn’t want to meet everyday.

Blue Straggler 19 Jan 2021

are you aware that a feature documentary on Shane, “Crock of Gold”, made by Julien Temple, has recently been released? 

Removed User 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> are you aware that a feature documentary on Shane, “Crock of Gold”, made by Julien Temple, has recently been released? 

No, I wasn't aware. Do you know what it was released onto?

Blue Straggler 20 Jan 2021

> No, I wasn't aware. Do you know what it was released onto?

I don't, sorry. I bought the DVD, it was straight into "£5 or 2 for £8" in Tesco. 
I assume it is on a streaming service. I know the editor, I'll see if she knows. 

edit:
https://www.altitude.film/movie-site/crock-of-gold-a-few-rounds-with-shane-...

Defaulted to UK for me but you can select USA from the dropdown. But you're in Canada, right? Does that mean you can't access it?

Post edited at 10:44
 RJML 20 Jan 2021

Another vote for Thousands Are Sailing! It's a great song and very emotive. I also really enjoy Tuesday Morning and find the chorus to be really uplifting. 

Removed User 20 Jan 2021

Thanks. I can get onto the link but haven't tried to rent it yet. I'll take a look later.

Is it any good?

Blue Straggler 20 Jan 2021

I haven’t watched it yet. I am not a huge fan, just bought on a whim as I don’t dislike them and cos my friend worked on it ! 

Removed User 20 Jan 2021

I suspect he isn't a very likeable character. But still, probably intriguing.

JohnnyW 21 Jan 2021
In reply to FBSF:

Yes, one of mine - 'You're the measure of my dreams.....''

And then every other one I knew off-by-heart as we sang and drank through the late 80's....*sigh*

robate 22 Jan 2021

Me too, one of my favorite tracks by anyone..

Removed User 23 Jan 2021
In reply to aln:

Just to add another: Five green queens and Jean.

JohnBson 23 Jan 2021

99 red balloons. 

65 23 Jan 2021

The Sickbed of Cuchalainn

Thousands are Sailing and Birmingham Six are not far behind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...