Fall - future UKC classic!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 18 Sep 2022

This is going to be talked about on here for years - 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_(2022_film)

A true masterclass display of moving together safely, hand over hand belaying and various harness faux pars. 

it has a killer opening sequence to rival Vertical Limit and has as many weather related micro climates as Cliffhanger.

Get on it! You won’t thank me in the morning!

Don’t know how it ends though, I just got too angry in the first 45 and had to switch off and calm down.

toad 18 Sep 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

If it's Alan James and his granny on bongos, then it's The Fal... oh. Hang on

magma 18 Sep 2022
In reply to toad:

let's watch this instead.. youtube.com/watch?v=InXwZc4RS7M&

felt 18 Sep 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

I found The Fall sadly disappointing. It's brilliantly shot but, as so often, the script is absolute crap. A great pity, because it could so easily have been a Hitchcockian masterpiece. With only a small amount of tweaking and no increase in the budget. Incredibly, absolutely incredibly, they obviously had NO technical climbing advisor/s in the crew of any kind. Joe Public, even without climbing knowledge, must know that a lot of what the two girls do in the film is absolutely physically impossible.

Offwidth 18 Sep 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'm not sure I know what's physically impossible anymore. Watched the mens' European combined climbing final today on YouTube. The last problem in the bouldering had a sloping slab volume with a blob on top, and a small undercut on the perpendicular underside, fixed on a gently overhanging wall. All the first seven climbers tried a jump mantle onto one hand on the blob and stretched the other to an undercut hold a long way above. Ondra put his foot next to his hand on the blob and somehow powered up onto to his foot. Just saying.

In reply to Offwidth:

OK, I get your point. But in the film, these were two ordinary but very gutsy girls who suddenly did spectacularly impossible things - e.g. laybacking up the side of a huge, 2-foot diameter vertical pipe. Just sheer nonsense that would have surely seemed so, even to a non climber.

In reply to wilkie14c:

Well that was terrible. I did make it all the way through though, and what was even more perplexing than the climbing scenes was the complete lack of understanding of electricity. The film-makers literally shouldn't be trusted to use a plug socket.

CantClimbTom 19 Sep 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

Interesting... reading the Wikipedia page (warning... plot spoilers in Wikipedia) and it is also "deepfake" in parts which apparently are called "neural reshoots". The film cost 3milion to make.

"..They ordered the crew to change or remove over 30 uses of the word "f__<" from the film so it could earn a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association instead of an R-rating, to increase profitability. As reshooting the scenes would have been time-consuming and expensive, they turned to Flawless, a company established in 2021 by Nick Lynes and Fall director Scott Mann, to deepfake the actor's faces and artificially redub the "f__<s" they said to PG-13-acceptable epithets like "freaking." The first project to use Flawless's services, Fall eventually received a PG-13 rating. According to Mann, "neural reshoots" were completed within two weeks during the final stages of post-production..."

Maggot 19 Sep 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

Well, we can't not watch this again 😀

youtube.com/watch?v=INbKYq0G9nU&

Petrafied 19 Sep 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I agree.  Recently watched one of the Avenger movies, and strongly suspect much of that was not possible either.  What is the world coming to?

In reply to Maggot:

Pfff, guyed lattice towers for wind monitoring are a lot more exciting to climb. They're only ~100m tall but no cheaty lifts and they're square sectioned 30cm a side all the way up. That means a lot of movement at the top!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...