Ennio Morricone: Neil Brand pays tribute

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kmk7

Funding for the arts, Wayne McGregor, Ennio Morricone
Front Row
Today
19:15
BBC RADIO 4 

[...]
Ennio Morricone, the Italian film composer, has died at the age of 91. His scores for films like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly helped define the western - but he worked across all genres, from The Battle of Algiers, Cinema Paradiso to The Untouchables - and in 2016 with Quentin Tarantino on The Hateful Eight for which Morricone won an Oscar. Neil Brand pays tribute to the work of the celebrated composer.

john arran 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Robin Montaigne:

The Mission still stands as one of my all-time favourite film scores, even though I notice it's barely mentioned among his masterpieces. A seriously talented composer.

Removed User 06 Jul 2020

Chi Mai was always one of my favourite compositions.

Blue Straggler 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed User:

amusingly it found its way into the pop charts leading to some Top of the Pops choreography from Legs & Co, in front of a b&w stills montage depicting the life and times of David Lloyd George whilst simultaneously inventing the costumes for The Handmaid’s Tale. I was in stitches watching it earlier today but that might say more about me....

Sl@te Head 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I auditioned for the part of David Lloyd George for that BBC series, narrowly missing out on getting the role. I did get to do one classroom scene where we recited the lords prayer.

'Chi Mai' always reminds me of the acting career I could have had.....

Blue Straggler 07 Jul 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> I auditioned for the part of David Lloyd George for that BBC series, narrowly missing out on getting the role.

From the looks of things, you haven't missed much!

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1193106/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t34

JMarkW 07 Jul 2020

Ecstasy of the Gold

Cinematic brilliance from Morricone and Leone

Never realised they went to school together!

Bobling 08 Jul 2020
In reply to john arran:

Same, still remember watching it in RE at age 13 and thinking "Wait, the Church are the BAD guys?  WTF?".  Gabriel's Oboe is a tear jerker for me:  youtube.com/watch?v=5Gvrp20_WXM&

Edited to add - the video for that shows lots of waterfalls, I challenge you to watch it and not look for the 'lines'!

I also grew up watching the Few Dollars More, Once Upon a Time in the West films.  I loved that the theme for Few Dollars More sounds like a band of desperadoes galloping around.  Great stuff.

Post edited at 00:05
In reply to JMarkW:

Genius scene that. 

The battle of Algiers is a brilliant film

In reply to JMarkW:

> Ecstasy of the Gold

> Cinematic brilliance from Morricone and Leone

> Never realised they went to school together!

Hi,

I didn't know that, either!

Yes, probably my favourite:
youtube.com/watch?v=jrhFXYIWp24&

Thanks,
R

Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Bobling:

> Edited to add - the video for that shows lots of waterfalls, I challenge you to watch it and not look for the 'lines'!

There is quite a lot of rock climbing in The Mission, including a wonderfully backlit near-silhoutte shot clearly showing a nice climbing shoe, in the late 17th century  
Mo Anthoine and some other "big names" worked on the film. 

john arran 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Bobling:

> Same, still remember watching it in RE at age 13 and thinking "Wait, the Church are the BAD guys?  WTF?".  Gabriel's Oboe is a tear jerker for me:  youtube.com/watch?v=5Gvrp20_WXM&

I'm impressed you watched it in RE. Can't have been a catholic school!

Bobling 09 Jul 2020
In reply to john arran:

I know!  How did they fit it into 40 minute periods - we must have watched it over 3 or 4 lessons?  The teacher was a priest too.  So many questions (*skates over all the semi-naked tribes people and 13 year old boys*).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...