Emma Fisk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 11 Dec 2022

A chance to see and hear one of our top jazz violinists, Emma Fisk,  playing a gig with the Hot Club du Nord quartet at Kendal Jazz Club on Weds Dec 14. Kendal Rugby club Shap Road. Doors open at 7.30 for 8 pm start. £12.50 for non club members. James Birkett is one of the guitar players. He sometimes outshines Emma, which is saying something. You never know what they’ll be playing but if you like Grapelli and Rheinhardt you’ll like it. They’ve got loads of stuff on youtube.

65 11 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That sounds great, if I was nearer I'd go.

OP Rog Wilko 11 Dec 2022
In reply to 65:

She normally inhabits the NE of England, if that’s any help.

65 11 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've never heard of her, will be paying more attention now, thanks.

veteye 11 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Sorry, me and a couple of friends have done Grapelli and Rheinhardt this year already, so it's ticked off.   :-}

Like 65, I would go if I was nearer.

The Violinist Tim Kliphuis and his gang, were who we saw recently in Stamford arts centre. Grapelli is Tim's hero, and the concert was great. Django was played by a brilliant Django.

OP Rog Wilko 11 Dec 2022
In reply to veteye:

We’ve seen Tim in Kendal area numerous times, he’s a great favourite. He’s a great Lake District lover and a fell runner. He once played a series of gigs all over the Lakes and ran from one to the next.

veteye 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Wow. Playing that fine music after a run is quite some challenge.

OP Rog Wilko 12 Dec 2022
In reply to veteye:

He’s such a talent, though. No problem for him!

OP Rog Wilko 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

No other Kendalians on here going?

OP Rog Wilko 15 Dec 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Kendal is such a great place for cultural opportunities. Two great gigs yesterday, starting with Sarah Beth Briggs playing for the Midday Concert Club

https://www.google.com/search?q=sarah+beth+briggs&oq=sarah+beth+briggs&...

Then the wonderful Emma Fisk in the evening at the Jazz Club. My cup overflows.

Sarah Beth was a child prodigy and winner of the the young musician prize (she's 50 now). She was given her first grand piano at age 11 by the Myra Hess Fund and is a regular at Kendal. Such a lovely friendly stage presence and outstanding playing. 

In the evening, Emma was just Emma. The small audience must have been a disappointment to the band, who were without the co-star James Birkett on guitar, who was unwell, but the young chap who was the stand in (extreme left of picture) was excellent too. Unfortunately, the Jazz club attracts mainly older people, many of whom clearly didn't risk the ice and cold. After finishing playing at 10.30pm the band was then setting off across the A66 on the way back to Newcastle. I dread to think what time they got to bed. Such devotion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...