El Cap films at Kendal Mountain Festival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am just back from Kendal Mountain Festival where I saw the two big films about El Capitan - Dawn Wall & Free Solo. I thought they were both brilliant but in very different ways. Although we all knew the outcome of the Alex Honnold film I found myself really gripping the seat in the final attempt, with a huge sense of relief that it was successful, such was the tension it built. Dawn Wall created a much deeper impression of the skill & tenacity of the two climbers -  a different sort of tension - and sense of awe at their achievement. I thought it was probably made to have wider appeal to non-climbers - whereas  the darkness of the Free Solo film may in fact attract more attention with the public. It will be interesting to see what others made of the two films.

Post edited at 22:41
 Pedro50 19 Nov 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Just back from Dawn Wall at Gateshead. Excellent, well explained for the layperson, Not too cliched for the climber. Good human interest with family and relationships. Highly recommended.

Have booked on December 11th for Free Solo at Durham - rapidly selling out. 

full stottie 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

> Have booked on December 11th for Free Solo at Durham - rapidly selling out. 

Please don't tell me how it ends.

In reply to full stottie:

Nice one!

Sorry to spoil it for you but the opening sequence makes it quite clear what the outcome is and I wondered if it was included for 'those of a nervous disposition'.

full stottie 20 Nov 2018

> Nice one!

> and I wondered if it was included for 'those of a nervous disposition'.

Yep. That's me that is. I'll take my comforter to the film.

Dave

Robert Durran 20 Nov 2018

I saw the Dawn Wall film in Edinburgh last night and thought it extremely good - really well explained to give a real sense of the immensity of the challenge with Caldwell's back story well built in. Booked to see the Honnold one in a few weeks

Post edited at 11:01
 donuthead8 20 Nov 2018

For those that can't get to a showing from today you can buy Dawn Wall on iTunes. £12.

Watched Dawn Wall last night (Vimeo on demand £10.50) and was pretty impressed. As @pedro said it was well explained for the lay person and not overly clichéd. Minor criticism would be that the ending was a little abrupt and the narrative around a personal jouney becoming a media circus somewhat ignored the fact that it was being filmed in the first place. Still though, a fantastic film we'll worth watching.

Post edited at 06:24
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

> Watched Dawn Wall last night (Vimeo on demand £10.50) and was pretty impressed. As @pedro said it was well explained for the lay person and not overly clichéd. Minor criticism would be that the ending was a little abrupt and the narrative around a personal jouney becoming a media circus somewhat ignored the fact that it was being filmed in the first place. Still though, a fantastic film we'll worth watching.

*well worth watching*

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...