Dune

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tjdodd 09 Sep 2020
 Clarence 09 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Ooh! That looks a bit good. If the bald chap near the end, the one that looks like a thin sontaran, is Rabban then the casting director must have access to my mind. Good stillsuits, good worms and no fekin "wierding modules" so far. Could be a winner.

Nice bit of Dark Side as well.

Dr.S at work 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

looks v good!

In reply to Clarence:

The casting in general looks superb; I'm very curious to see how Stellan Skarsgard does at adding some complexity to Baron Harkonnen beyond the cartoon monster of previous incarnations (including the book). 

Not too sure about Timothy Chalamet as Paul/Maud'dib though - sure he can due the pretty-boy sheltered scion, but I'm not convinced that he'll carry off the transition to ruthlessly-ambitious religious leader, politician and warlord.

The bald bloke  - Dave Bauttista - is indeed Rabban; again I think he will add a little more subtlety to the role compared to David Lynch's efforts

kedvenc72 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Looks good but I'm still very skeptical. I'm going to watch it of course either way.

Dave Garnett 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

> The bald bloke  - Dave Bauttista - is indeed Rabban; again I think he will add a little more subtlety to the role compared to David Lynch's efforts

So they have Drax, but the good guys have Aquaman/Khal Drogo and Thanos!

I'm sure Paul will man up once his eyes turn blue.

ThunderCat 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

That looks good...I might need to go back and read Dune again as it's been a very long time....

Jamie Wakeham 10 Sep 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> ...I might need to go back and read Dune again...

The question for me is where to stop reading the series!  I read the whole lot many years ago, but I have a feeling that the most satisfying experience might be pretend it finishes at the end of book 4 before it all gets really silly?

Dave Garnett 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> The question for me is where to stop reading the series!  I read the whole lot many years ago, but I have a feeling that the most satisfying experience might be pretend it finishes at the end of book 4 before it all gets really silly?

Book 3 for me.  It definitely tailed off after that. 

LastBoyScout 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Clarence:

I didn't like the weirding modules, either - should have stayed a martial art style.

Gwinn512 10 Sep 2020

Have you seen The king? Chalamet does a similar(ish) character arc there and absolutely nails it.

Nick Lowe 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Where's Feyd ?? 

(Also re-reading the book for this very purpose)

Dave Garnett 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Nick Lowe:

> Where's Feyd ?? 

> (Also re-reading the book for this very purpose)

Sting was surprisingly good in the old film but is probably a bit less wiry now. 

kedvenc72 10 Sep 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

I just re-read it to make sure I got it in before this new film. As good as the first time.

kedvenc72 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I enjoyed god emperor as much as the first but tailed off on the 5th for me and left it at that

goose299 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

The shields certainly look a lot better than the ones in the 80’s version

excited for this to come out. 

graeme jackson 10 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> So they have Drax, but the good guys have Aquaman/Khal Drogo and Thanos!

The good guys also have the bad guy from No country.  

I'm disappointed to see some pointless PC casting. either that or Kynes as transitioned.  Max von sydow was perfectly cast in the first movie. 

Blue Straggler 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

I am confident that Denis Villeneuve has made a good adaptation of Dune, but my goodness the trailer basically just takes all the bits that look like good bits that you remember from David Lynch's version, and throws them in there.

And then, THEN, it starts playing a bloody SONG! Yikes.

Apparently it will be two films but I don't know if this is just covering the first book or the first trilogy. 
I see no Emperor, Irulan or Feyd-Rauth in the trailer OR on the cast list on imdb....although Harah (sidelined into just two throwaway shots in the 130 minute standard cut of Lynch's film) is named as a character.

In reply to graeme jackson:

> I'm disappointed to see some pointless PC casting. either that or Kynes as transitioned.  

Changing the gender of a character is not necessarily "PC casting". Maybe the writer/director had something in mind other than "PC casting". 

In reply to tjdodd:

Always worth revisiting this classic (also worth clicking the picture links for further enjoyment)

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/behind-scenes-at/

planetmarshall 10 Sep 2020

> I'm disappointed to see some pointless PC casting. either that or Kynes as transitioned.  Max von sydow was perfectly cast in the first movie. 

The book's main themes are pretty patriarchal to begin with (10,000 years of human civilisation and the women are still hankering after a strong male to lead them...), so it seems churlish to criticise them for "PC casting".

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Ok. Drop the PC bit.  I still can't see why a character written as male in an iconic book suddenly has to be portrayed as female.   Why hasn't Paul Atreides become Paula?   

jethro kiernan 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Certainly looking good It’s quite amazing how things have moved on with regards film (and TV) production the trailer is much how I would imagine the book To be visually unlike the made for TV. Adaptations, I noticed this watching lord of the rings during lockdown, in some scenes it actually fared badly in comparison to some present day big budget TV shows but was leading the way for stuff like GoT and the Witcher in its day.
like many I’ve started re. reading the book, unfortunately my original well thumbed copy has disappeared So I had to get another Copy.

look forward to a steady trickle of teaser trailers.

Arms Cliff 10 Sep 2020

> I'm disappointed to see some pointless PC casting. either that or Kynes as transitioned.  Max von sydow was perfectly cast in the first movie. 

What was it that you saw in Kynes’ character that made it necessary for them to be male? 

If, as per your later post, you rewrote Paul as a female then you’d have to alter a huge chunk of the story around his mother etc. Whereas I don’t remember Kynes’ gender having any impact on the story. 

In reply to jethro kiernan:

> Certainly looking good It’s quite amazing how things have moved on with regards film (and TV) production the trailer is much how I would imagine the book To be visually...

That's interesting, because going by the trailer, at least to me it looks to be heavily inspired by Lynch's 1984 adaption.

> Changing the gender of a character is not necessarily "PC casting". Maybe the writer/director had something in mind other than "PC casting". 

A more reasonable accusation of Political Correctness might be directed at the replacement of the term "jihad" with "crusade". Did Herbert ever use the latter term? Certainly much has been written about Islamic references in and influence on the book.

jethro kiernan 10 Sep 2020
In reply to planetmarshall:

I think lynch got a lot of the look right but obviously was limited by the constraints of production/cgi of the time, and obviously the story telling got a little warped 😏

might have to be completist and watch Dune now 😏

Post edited at 16:43
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> might have to be completist and watch Dune now 😏

I have a bit of a soft spot for it, I know it's bonkers but I think visually it still holds up pretty well. Lynch disowned it but he probably has a pretty high bar for his own work.

deleted user 10 Sep 2020

I agree, but i am massive david lynch fanboy. I thought his version was pretty cool. I am looking forward to this and the trailer looks epic. After watching the documentary 'Jodorowsky's Dune' i was disappointed this wasn't made. It would have been even more bonkers than Lynch's and would have been an interesting film to watch.

Every film Villeneuve has made as been worth a watch. 

Looking at the trailer this looks ace, I have just starting reading the books.

Glad they showed the worms at the end of the trailer. 

Arms Cliff 10 Sep 2020

> A more reasonable accusation of Political Correctness might be directed at the replacement of the term "jihad" with "crusade". Did Herbert ever use the latter term? Certainly much has been written about Islamic references in and influence on the book.

This is an interesting sort of political correctness I think, as I could see the use of jihad rather than crusade (even though they essentially both mean holy war) putting off a certain section of the potential audience (maybe those wearing red baseball caps?!), whereas the more ‘liberal snowflake’ demographic, who usually get lumbered with being ‘over PC’ could see the appropriateness if its use in this context. 

Also a big fan of the Lynch version, I think it does a lot with what they had to work with at the time. 

In reply to Arms Cliff:

> This is an interesting sort of political correctness I think, as I could see the use of jihad rather than crusade (even though they essentially both mean holy war) putting off a certain section of the potential audience.

Yes, fair point. Will be interesting to see how much of the religious themes make it into the final film - though as I recall that was more of a focus in the later books.

The New NickB 10 Sep 2020

> A more reasonable accusation of Political Correctness might be directed at the replacement of the term "jihad" with "crusade". Did Herbert ever use the latter term? Certainly much has been written about Islamic references in and influence on the book.

Isn’t that the opposite of political correctness.

Arms Cliff 10 Sep 2020

> Yes, fair point. Will be interesting to see how much of the religious themes make it into the final film - though as I recall that was more of a focus in the later books.

I’ll be happy if they make two 3 hour movies out of the first book and go deep into all of that. I think, unlike The Hobbit, Dune has got the depth for that sort of treatment. 

In reply to Arms Cliff:? 

> If, as per your later post, you rewrote Paul as a female then you’d have to alter a huge chunk of the story around his mother etc. Whereas I don’t remember Kynes’ gender having any impact on the story. 

There's quite a bit made of the fact he's Chani's father. Plus he's the leader of the Fremen who seem ti me to have clearly defined gender roles

Regardless, why is there a need to change the characters Herbert wrote?

> Lynch disowned it

Weirdly I never knew that! I thought he just didn’t talk about it 

Post edited at 18:51
 Flinticus 10 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Looks good bar Timothy as Paul. And that's a massive bar. KMcL was perfect. 

Paul now looks like a spoiled aristo manchild, the kinda character I prefer to see f#$%ed over. Like finding a stone in your lentil dhal.

nufkin 10 Sep 2020

>  I still can't see why a character written as male in an iconic book suddenly has to be portrayed as female.

Katee Sackhoff gave a perfectly plausible Starbuck.

Mind you that version of Moby Dick seems to stray quite far from Melville's original 

In reply to Gwinn512:

> Have you seen The king? Chalamet does a similar(ish) character arc there and absolutely nails it.

I haven't; will definitely check it out though. Your assurance is comforting

Like others, I was wondering were Feyd was, but I guess this is just the first part of a 'duet', and Feyd doesn't come to prominence until Rabban makes a complete Boris of things  

> Weirdly I never knew that! I thought he just didn’t talk about it 

He was inexperienced and let the studio have complete editing rights - legend (whether true or apocryphal) has it he didn't see the final version until the premiere, and is the reason why Lynch refused to work on big studio productions ever since. 

Sadly, the footage that didn't make the studio cut was all destroyed - I would love to see a director's cut. I can't help but feel that there was a great film buried in there. 

Blue Straggler 11 Sep 2020

> He was inexperienced and let the studio have complete editing rights - legend (whether true or apocryphal) has it he didn't see the final version until the premiere, and is the reason why Lynch refused to work on big studio productions ever since. 

> Sadly, the footage that didn't make the studio cut was all destroyed - I would love to see a director's cut. I can't help but feel that there was a great film buried in there. 

What are you calling the studio cut? The theatrical release and most editions you’ll have seen, were 130 mins ; there is some semi-official longer version around I think, adding maybe 35 mins but what I’ve read about it has not made me want to see it. 

By the way I came across this a few years ago and found it really sweet , at least it looks like a fairly happy production

youtube.com/watch?v=PFTS5-cIHgQ&

facet 11 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Cool.. thanks for the heads up on this!  

> What are you calling the studio cut? 

I meant the theatrical release. I didn't know about the longer version

Blue Straggler 18 Sep 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Interesting that nobody is mentioning John Harrison's television adaptation from the early 00s. 

graeme jackson 18 Sep 2020

I have them on DVD. They're ok.  Strangely (or maybe not) I've never managed to get all the way through the sequel - children of dune.  I lost interest after part 2 about 2 years ago. Mind you, I found the books a bit like that too. 

In reply to Gwinn512:

> Have you seen The king? Chalamet does a similar(ish) character arc there and absolutely nails it.

I've seen The King, and while I wouldn't say he nails it, it's a credible performance that bodes well for Dune. Lady Fastrousers was less convinced though, and felt his lack of physicality is a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...