Don't Look Up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 27 Dec 2021
Thread moved from The Pub to Culture Bunker

Seriously enjoyed Don't Look Up.

Satire at it's best. Extremely relevant. I saw the middle first, then the beginning then fell asleep, finally saw the end today. It was absolutely brilliant.

Post edited at 14:57
 ChrisBrooke 27 Dec 2021
In reply to broken spectre:

Don’t forget to watch right to the end of the credits…

We watched it last night and it had more genuine lols than I’ve experienced in a film in ages. I subsequently read some reviews which were quite mixed, describing it as a slight clumsy, hand-wringy, overwrought etc. but my wife and I loved it. So much of the satire was laser-accurate and all the funnier/more tragic for it. 

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Don’t forget to watch right to the end of the credits…

By chance, I did exactly this 😀

It was good wasn't it

ChrisBrooke 27 Dec 2021

I thought  it was excellent, although despite the laughs I was ultimately left unsettled and a bit depressed by it. Which I suppose was the point. 

Post edited at 15:51
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I found it (as well as being acutely hilarious) to be weirdly cathartic. I don't know why satire does this to me.

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Haha. I do occasionally read the Guardian but that review seems to be written by a humourless  killjoy or at least someone having a bad day.

Babika 27 Dec 2021

Saw it last night. Very enjoyable but I also fell asleep somewhere in the middle for about 10 minutes. 

I don't usually do that. Plot or wine? Not sure

Tom Valentine 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Same critic who described Dune as "very large and very empty".

FreshSlate 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Another critic described it as a feature length SNL sketch which seems closer to the mark to me. 

In reply to FreshSlate:

> Another critic described it as a feature length SNL sketch which seems closer to the mark to me. 

...as in it was American satire. I'd say the comparison dies there. I thought it was as nuanced as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but acerbically relevant to today! I can't extoll the virtues of this film enough!!!!

And there you have it; 4 exclamation marks. The ultimate accolade (5 and you're certifiably insane!)

“Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Rob Exile Ward 28 Dec 2021

I thought it was great too, and I was left wondering what the Guardian reviewer was expecting. It was a bit like saying that Spinal Tap was rubbish because it wouldn't appeal to a classical music enthusiast. 

ripper 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Surely the Guardian is aware of the irony in the Guardian accusing anyone or anything of 'smug superiority'?

Just finished watching this. I really enjoyed it.

It almost kept the other half awake the whole way thru... that's high praise indeed!

ThunderCat 28 Dec 2021
In reply to Babika:

> Saw it last night. Very enjoyable but I also fell asleep somewhere in the middle for about 10 minutes. 

Last night I managed to walk my 1 year old granddaughter to sleep, with the TV controller within easy reach so I lay down on the bed carefully with her on my chest, started to watch it and really enjoyed it, then she woke up after 30 minutes and wouldn't go to sleep again until the early hours... So I tried to watch it again. Fell asleep and woke up to see the LAST BLOODY SCENE. 

I've just managed to watch it through uninterrupted. Very good! But yeah, make sure you watch it to the very end, after the credits. 😂

Jon Stewart 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Babika:

> Saw it last night. Very enjoyable but I also fell asleep somewhere in the middle for about 10 minutes. 

> I don't usually do that. Plot or wine? Not sure

It is a bit boring. It's long and it's made in the modern, bland, slick Netflix style. 

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with the viewpoint, and it documents the pathetic state of our culture pretty well. 6/10

FreshSlate 29 Dec 2021

> ...as in it was American satire. I'd say the comparison dies there.

The writer and director was the head writer of Saturday Night Live so there's probably more to it than that! Nice try though. 

It wasn't unenjoyable by any means. I loved the general gag but most of the rest of the film laid it on a bit thick for my taste. 

Babika 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Den of Geek has an interesting piece on who the characters are based on in real life. 

I found myself trying to guess throughout the film but not being American I missed quite a few, like the newscasters. 

deepsoup 29 Dec 2021

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but a wee bit before Christmas Toby Young wrote an article for the Mail online (no link, soz) praising Boris Johnson for resisting the scientists' calls for greater restrictions.

The headline was: "At last, Boris has placed his trust in the common sense of the British people, not the Cassandras in lab coats."

Oops - bit of a giveaway.  I guess he must have been thinking of the boy who cried wolf, but as any fule no (and as any fool who's actually mentioning her in print should know), Cassandra was cursed to be able to accurately predict the future but never to have anyone believe her prophesies.

VictorM 30 Dec 2021

Overall I thought it was okay but I didn't ever laugh out loud (more like some chuckles here and there). 

I do like Adam McKay however. The Big Short I thought was one of the better satirical American movies made in the last few years. But I don't know... Don't Look Up felt a bit ham-fisted. I mean, I agree with pretty much everything in the movie but it didn't make me laugh out loud sadly. 

BusyLizzie 30 Dec 2021

I enjoyed it - and yes, you do have to watch past the credits!!!!

Sadly, far too close to real life to be really funny.

Siward 30 Dec 2021

It was certainly an enjoyable couple of hours but seriously depressing. People may call it satire but it just showed how far down the social media hell hole we've gone. I was all rather true to life for my liking and we can but hope for a giant comet to see us all off.

Also- why didn't the vile tech billionaire get his comeuppance?

Siward 30 Dec 2021

People only link to the Guardian because it's free.

deepsoup 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Siward:

Also quite a lot of the time because it's Marina Hyde.

Maggot 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Siward:

> Also- why didn't the vile tech billionaire get his comeuppance?

Or did he?!

Arms Cliff 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Siward:

> Also- why didn't the vile tech billionaire get his comeuppance?

did you fall asleep before the end too? 😄

Siward 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Seemed to me that he had landed on a lovely habitable planet and most of the new arrivals would have survived, killed and eaten the local wildlife and defended themselves as required.

In other words they were the only surviving humans who'd arrived on a new Earth. Sounds like a win to me although hopefully the bronco things could pick them off first... 

Arms Cliff 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Siward:

I thought the finish of that scene made it quite clear that the fate of the first person was going to be the same for the rest of them, but obviously it was more ambiguous than I considered. 

Tom Valentine 31 Dec 2021
In reply to Arms Cliff;

Possible spoiler for those who watch  credits....

No, I assumed that once POTUS had received the Rod Hull treatment, the rest were to follow.

thegrowler1981 31 Dec 2021

Really enjoyed it! Kept the wife and I engaged for 2 plus hours which some films struggle to these days. 
On a tangent, have you read Seveneves? Similar plot and an excellent read in my humble opinion.

ThunderCat 31 Dec 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> In reply to Arms Cliff;

> Possible spoiler for those who watch  credits....

> No, I assumed that once POTUS had received the Rod Hull treatment, the rest were to follow.

I assumed exactly the same. 

mbh 01 Jan 2022

I found this overlong but a great satire with most of the targets recognisable in recent (mainly American but also South African) history.

I enjoyed the acting. Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett were so good I didn't recognise them, and it was nice to see Himesh Patel again after Yesterday.

ThunderCat 01 Jan 2022
In reply to mbh:

> I enjoyed the acting. Mark Rylance and Cate Blanchett were so good I didn't recognise them, and it was nice to see Himesh Patel again after Yesterday.

I knew Mark Rylance was in it but I wasn't immediately sure that I was seeing him!  Quite a funny character.  Extremely sinister....

Hooo 01 Jan 2022

I watched this last night and thought it was great. Someone upthread described it as a feature length SNL sketch and I think that's not an unfair description, but also not a bad thing. There's nothing subtle about it, but it still hits home. It's frightening and depressing to think how close to that reality we are. 

David Alcock 02 Jan 2022

Two 50 odd yrs old peeps watched it and were pissing themselves the whole way through. I gave up being Cassandra 15 years ago. Very, very funny, and very, very depressing. They should fire a DVD of it into space.

Thanks for alerting me Rob - I probably wouldn't have watched otherwise. 

David Alcock 02 Jan 2022

And the last last scene (not the velociraptors) made me snigger because... spoilers. 

Maggot 02 Jan 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

But Meryil Streep's got a nice arse

David Alcock 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Maggot:

I only clocked it now you've mentioned it in my memory because I was more focused on the tatt. But yes, I suppose she has.  

Andy Clarke 02 Jan 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I knew Mark Rylance was in it but I wasn't immediately sure that I was seeing him!  Quite a funny character.  Extremely sinister....

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and laughed out loud throughout. Thought Blanchett was superb, as usual. Thanks for the tips to watch till the very very end (ie after the Bronteroc)...  But did anyone else find Mark Rylance's tech tyrant weirdly reminiscent of DJ Smashie, as played by Paul Whitehouse back in the 90s?

Tom Valentine 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Exactly! It took a bit to realise that it wasn't Whitehouse but our finest living actor.

ThunderCat 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> But did anyone else find Mark Rylance's tech tyrant weirdly reminiscent of DJ Smashie, as played by Paul Whitehouse back in the 90s?

Not until you mentioned it, but bloody hell... Yes. Would have been great if he'd mentioned doing a something for charidee... 

David Alcock 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Rylance was fantastic. Perfect blithering air-head spod. Cognitive dissonance remembering his Thomas More! 

Hooo 02 Jan 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Oh, wow. Yes. I was wondering where I'd seen the character before.

Great casting throughout. I loved the way Meryl Streep enters and I naturally expect her to be the serious intelligent one, and she turns out to be Donald Trump.

But who was Cate Blanchett? I didn't spot her. Not that I ever know who anyone is mind.

Post edited at 19:50
 ThunderCat 02 Jan 2022

> Rylance was fantastic. Perfect blithering air-head spod. Cognitive dissonance remembering his Thomas More! 

Cromwell wasn't it? Or did he also play more? 

mbh 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> But who was Cate Blanchett? I didn't spot her. Not that I ever know who anyone is mind.

Exactly. Some very good acting in this film.

David Alcock 03 Jan 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Utter brain fart. You're right. 

ThunderCat 03 Jan 2022

First thing I'd actually seen Rylance in so it sticks in my mind 😊

Dr.S at work 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> But who was Cate Blanchett? I didn't spot her. Not that I ever know who anyone is mind.

The ‘airhead’ blonde tv anchor

sandrow 03 Jan 2022

Loved it - so did my wife!
We both LOL - a lot. 
Brian Cox liked it and saw parallels with his experiences https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/23/brian-cox-slammed-by-mp-after-warning-astero...

Tom Valentine 03 Jan 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

He played a lot more....

neilh 03 Jan 2022

Watched it the other night.Thought it was boring and very predictable.Disapppointed..

deepsoup 03 Jan 2022
In reply to sandrow:

"The parallels between the president’s reaction to an asteroid hitting the planet and many politicians actual reaction to the world being under threat from a pandemic is alarming, to say the least."

The Metro there missing the point everso slightly. 
"Scientist frustrated by politicians not getting it", says newspaper that doesn't get it.

Post edited at 10:23
 The Lemming 03 Jan 2022

If it hadn't been for Covid arriving on the world this film would have been over the top.

However after watching the film and a few YouTubes afterwards, I learned that the director had to make the film more OTT simply because Covid made the script look too close to the weirdness of a Covid world.

I thought the film was great.

65 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> But who was Cate Blanchett? I didn't spot her. Not that I ever know who anyone is mind.

Blonde femme fatale TV anchor. She and Tyler Perry were brilliant at portraying the worst of air headed chat TV. Ron Perlman's turn was brilliant, I am still sniggering at him singing 'banjo on my knee' in the Space Shuttle.

I can see where the critics are coming from, but all in I thought it was a very good and darkly enjoyable film. 

Dave Garnett 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> Great casting throughout. I loved the way Meryl Streep enters and I naturally expect her to be the serious intelligent one, and she turns out to be Donald Trump.

Sarah Palin, I think.  And it might have happened if McCain had beaten Obama and then died in office...

ThunderCat 04 Jan 2022
In reply to 65:

> Ron Perlman's turn was brilliant, I am still sniggering at him singing 'banjo on my knee' in the Space Shuttle.

haha.  I liked the awkwardness of the ground crew listening to his broadcast, and saying "um, he's of a different generation"

TMM 04 Jan 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Not until you mentioned it, but bloody hell... Yes. Would have been great if he'd mentioned doing a something for charidee... 

He probably does, just doesn't like to talk about it mate. Not arf.

ThunderCat 04 Jan 2022
In reply to TMM:

> He probably does, just doesn't like to talk about it mate. Not arf.

With a liddle bitta Bachman Turner Overdrive too.

"lets rock"

neilh 04 Jan 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

It’s nothing to do with Covid!!!!.  It’s a climate change black comedy

deepsoup 04 Jan 2022
In reply to neilh:

Bit harsh.  Lemming didn't say that exactly.  (Unlike the Metro - see that link above.)

Speaking of links, here's another Guardian one. George Monbiot this time:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/04/dont-look-up-life-of-...

Post edited at 23:09
 Jon Stewart 04 Jan 2022
In reply to neilh:

> It’s nothing to do with Covid!!!!.  It’s a climate change black comedy

??? My take was as Lemming said, originally written about climate change, but ended up having lots of covid overtones. How could a satirical apocalypse movie made in 2021 not refer to the pandemic?

neilh 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It was my daughter who pointed that out to me, this is from Wikipedia

Don't Look Up is a 2021 American satirical black comedy written, produced, and directed by Adam McKay and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence as two astronomers attempting to warn humanity about an approaching comet that will destroy human civilization. The comet is an allegory for climate change and the film is a satire of government and media indifference to the climate crisis

I cannot say fairer than that!!!!

wintertree 05 Jan 2022
In reply to neilh:

> It’s nothing to do with Covid!!!!.  It’s a climate change black comedy

Allegorically it’s pretty board….  One might say the plot predicted the politicisation of further issues based on climate change, as covid shows.

As films go, very much in the mould of Idiocracy I thought, except taking itself more seriously.

Jon Stewart 12 Jan 2022
In reply to all:

For anyone interested, one of my favourite "youtube influencers" offers a philosophical review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkF1OcfPt84&ab_channel=CarefreeWanderin...

profitofdoom 12 Jan 2022

Great movie, really enjoyed it. Good acting, story, everything, what's not to like IMO

Tom Valentine 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I met someone last week who actually described herself as an influencer.

It was hard to keep a straight face.

graeme jackson 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> The ‘airhead’ blonde tv anchor

Until we find out later in the movie she actually has several masters degrees. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...