Dark on Netflix - 2nd thread for a 2nd series

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 17 Aug 2019

I’ve located but can’t revive the thread I started on the first series of this Netflix thriller. Has anyone else picked up on this mind twister? Great stuff. 

Post edited at 20:10
 RedFive 18 Aug 2019
In reply to BnB:

Not yet but thanks, will try it. 

Big fan of The OA (fantastic and cant understand why it has been cancelled) and binge watched all 3 series of Stranger Things so looking for the next watch. 

OP BnB 18 Aug 2019
In reply to RedFive:

> Not yet but thanks, will try it. 

> Big fan of The OA (fantastic and cant understand why it has been cancelled) and binge watched all 3 series of Stranger Things so looking for the next watch. 

I loved the OA first series, the second less so. But with those shows under your belt, you're sure to feast on Dark. Like the best ideas, it doesn't rush to explain itself. And that's all part of the enjoyment. In the original thread, one poster kindly suggested my review was a copy and paste from a press release. Here's a snippet, slightly updated: 

"Unsurprisingly, but inaccurately, labelled as a middle European Stranger Things, Dark rapidly mutates into a cross between Twin Peaks, French gothic cult hit Les Revenants, rain-soaked Scandi Noir and a certain cult US film from 2001. The clue's in the name.

Blending thriller, horror, sci-fi and philosophy, while gleefully referencing Back to the Future, the show plunders multiple genres in its excoriating expose of the secrets, lies and downright confounding inter-relationships of four families in the fictional town of Winden, buried in a deep forest under the shadow of a crumbling nuclear plant, stalked by a chilling satanic priest.

The soundtrack itself, particularly in the choice of quirky and obscure tracks, is outstanding. It's also imperative to watch in the German original audio, not only for the lip-synch, but because the sonorous quality of the original actors' delivery plays a big part in your enjoyment. Especially for the science and philosophy lectures.

Where Stranger Things expresses the joy of portraying humans locked in battle against incomprehensible supernature, Dark takes us into the moral wasteland of man's desires. Even our best intentions have the most disastrous of outcomes. And some people might as well be the Devil himself."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...