Dark on Netflix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BnB 03 Feb 2018

Unsurprisingly, but inaccurately, labelled as a middle European Stranger Things, Dark rapidly mutates into a cross between Twin Peaks, rain-soaked Scandi Noir and a certain cult film from 2001, well the clue's in the name.

Blending thriller, horror and sci-fi, while gleefully referencing Back to the Future, the show plunders multiple genres in its excoriating expose of the secrets, lies and downright confounding inter-relationships of four families in the fictional town of Winden, buried in a deep forest under the shadow of a crumbling nuclear plant, stalked by a chilling satanic priest.

A jarring note is the over-reliance of audio effects in the horror sequences but the soundtrack itself, particularly in the choice of quirky and obscure tracks, is outstanding. It's also imperative to watch in the German original audio, not only for the lip-synch, but because the sonorous quality of the original actors' delivery plays a big part in your enjoyment. Especially the science lectures.

Where Stranger Things expresses the joy of being human locked in battle against incomprehensible supernature, Dark takes us into the moral wasteland of man's desires. Even our best intentions have the most disastrous of outcomes. And some people might as well be the Devil himself.

Post edited at 09:42
 Blue Straggler 09 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

Apart from the beginning of the first sentence in the third paragraph, this reads like a press release. 

OP BnB 09 Feb 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

All my own work. So I'll take that as a compliment.

OP BnB 09 Feb 2018

You gonna watch it?

In reply to BnB:

I'll give it a go. Currently watching Power. I certainly wouldn't strongly recommend it, but I am enjoying it. It comes across slightly budget and cliched but has a certain charm. Now I am invested in it I will watch all episodes. 

Blue Straggler 09 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

> You gonna watch it?

Doubtful, sounds ok but I have higher and older priorities like The Wire and Breaking Bad. I am about ten years behind

Toby_W 09 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

i’ll put It on the list, having children i’ve been sidetracked by Once and am totally hooked.  It has Cameron from House in it.

Also liking troll hunter, having children is great.

cheers

toby

OP BnB 10 Feb 2018

> Doubtful, sounds ok but I have higher and older priorities like The Wire and Breaking Bad. I am about ten years behind

Both of which are unquestionably superior. Also far better than 99% of the films you commit so much time to. Get with the programme Mr S

Blue Straggler 11 Feb 2018
In reply to BnB:

Ah but a poor film is completely done and dusted in under 2 hours 

it can take 7 hours to gauge whether a tv show is poor or good!

OP BnB 11 Feb 2018

> Ah but a poor film is completely done and dusted in under 2 hours 

> it can take 7 hours to gauge whether a tv show is poor or good!

Learn to trust the BnB stamp of approval

> Doubtful, sounds ok but I have higher and older priorities like The Wire and Breaking Bad. I am about ten years behind

You are behind!

Started Dark, just recently, on the recommendation of a friend and have to say it is looking superb so far and my mate reckons it gets better as it progresses...

OP BnB 12 Feb 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> You are behind!

> Started Dark, just recently, on the recommendation of a friend and have to say it is looking superb so far and my mate reckons it gets better as it progresses...

Not unlike this thread, it's a slow burner.

A show that gets better with each episode. My wife and I were very sad to reach the end.

Blue Straggler 12 Feb 2018

> You are behind!

In fairness, I have seen Twin Peaks Season 3!

> In fairness, I have seen Twin Peaks Season 3!

Well that's a good tick!

In reply to BnB:

> Not unlike this thread, it's a slow burner.

> A show that gets better with each episode. My wife and I were very sad to reach the end.

I'm up to episode 6 now...

OP BnB 14 Feb 2018

> I'm up to episode 6 now...

We were doubling up the episodes by then. Hope you enjoy the remainder.

stp 14 Feb 2018

> Ah but a poor film is completely done and dusted in under 2 hours 

> it can take 7 hours to gauge whether a tv show is poor or good!

I'm totally with you on this. Some of these series are so damn long I get intimidated by the sheer number of hours involved in front of a TV screen. The only one I've watched so far is the British series, Utopia - which wasn't too long and I really enjoyed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...