Dance music edits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 13 Aug 2021

When I listen to radio stations playing electronic dance music they play 'edits' of tunes. Is this a new name for what used to be called a remix or is it something else? 

Post edited at 22:21
 VictorM 14 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

Most of the time the actual single (12", if those still exist for modern EDM) version of EDM tends to be remarkably longer to allow DJ's to mix in and mix out. This is generally not the most interesting part of the tune for radio audiences as it's most often even more  repetitive than EDM already is, especially near the end.

Hence the 'radio edit'.

OP aln 15 Aug 2021
In reply to VictorM:

Radio edits have been around for a long time, due to, as you say, length of tunes, or swearing etc. That's not what I'm talking about. As an example the guy who stood in for the sadly departed Annie Mac on Radio 1 on Friday, played an 'edit' he'd made for the show, of one of his own tunes. It wasn't shortened, it was a different version, ie a remix. 

VictorM 15 Aug 2021
In reply to aln:

Then, in my humble opinion, he used the wrong word

OP aln 15 Aug 2021
In reply to Enty:

Not my favourite style of music but I enjoyed that. I can see myself getting down to that. 

In reply to aln:

In my understanding an edit takes the original tune and cuts it into different parts, but keeping those parts whole ie repeating the first 16 bars twice over or cutting and repeating the first 8 to make up 16. A remix is where the producer/ dj gets hold of the multi-track files and can then mess about with and add additional effects to the individual tracks.

Iamgregp 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Boris's Johnson:

Yeah agreed - an edit is where they have made some minor changes to the tune, but kept it pretty similar to the original.  

It's explained here https://studiodrumandbass.com/posts/edit-wip-vip-dubplate-remix-bootleg-a-q...

OP aln 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Boris's Johnson:

Thanks that sounds right. 

OP aln 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Thanks for that. Interesting. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...