Charles Dickens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 26 Nov 2018

It occurs to me that at my quite advanced age, with the exception of  'A Christmas Carol' I haven't actually read any of his books. Obviously I have listened to, and watched numerous adaptations of his most well known works but I really feel that I should actually read one (or more) myself. So with that in mind would anyone care to recommend a good starting place for a novice Dickens reader, possibly something less well known, but at the same time nothing too intimidating ?

As usual, your thoughts are appreciated.

BnB 26 Nov 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

If you could only read one Dickins novel then Great Expectations is that work. It's mercifully short (for Dickins) and surprisingly comedic and asks (and answers) the deepest question of all, "Who am I?", in a deeply subversive manner. It also contains the finest page of descriptive prose in the English language, the depiction of Miss Haversham's wedding feast. Enjoy.

Post edited at 14:23
 Rampikino 26 Nov 2018
In reply to BnB:

Agreed on Great Expectations.  It's a fine novel.  A Tale of Two Cities is a monumental work, but very lengthy and involved.

I actually love A Christmas Carol - it's a beautiful piece that, successive comedic portrayals or ones given the Hollywood treatment have diminished.  As a piece of work that encompasses Christmas, charity, the classes, Victorian society, joy, childhood, struggle, family etc. etc. it is unsurpassed.

"Bear but a touch of my hand, here... and you will be upheld in more than this."

As above, Great Expectations is brilliant. Bleak House is good as well.

subtle 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

> I actually love A Christmas Carol - it's a beautiful piece that, successive comedic portrayals or ones given the Hollywood treatment have diminished.  As a piece of work that encompasses Christmas, charity, the classes, Victorian society, joy, childhood, struggle, family etc. etc. it is unsurpassed.

The Muppet Christmas Carol is by far the best interpretation of this.

As for reading Dickins, meh, each to their own

Jenny C 26 Nov 2018

Don't bother!

I quite enjoyed a Christmas Carol but Oliver twist was dull and great expectations did not live up to its name. 

Clarence 26 Nov 2018

Hard Times is surprisingly modern and has little of the whimsy of Oliver Twist or The Pickwick Papers, well worth a go.

Clarence 26 Nov 2018
In reply to subtle:

> The Muppet Christmas Carol is by far the best interpretation of this.

Lets face it, there is very little literature that couldn't be improved by adding muppets. 

In reply to Clarence:

I second that, Pickwick Papers is an oft overlooked work of great comedy. 

bouldery bits 26 Nov 2018
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

'Do you like Dickens?'

'I don't know, I've never been to one.'

+1 for Great Expectations, one of his mature, great works, and compratively short, so a bit less intimidating for the unsure.  Personally not keen on Hard Times, starts well - some good satire on education (which certain Education Ministers seem to have taken as an instruction manual), but gets a bit moralistic.

My absolute favourite Dickens though is Bleak House.  It is long but incredibly readable and interesting - great characters and incredibly evocative; with the saga of Jarndyce versus Jarndyce a reminder that then, as now, the legal system works to benefit lawyers not those directly involved in cases.  David Copperfield is good too - again long but rather fun. 

Until I read those three novels, I had the second-hand impression that Dickens was a writer of sentimental potboilers, with character's whose role could be inferred from their names.  Perhaps that is the case for some of his works, but at his best, he is among the best.

Andy Clarke 27 Nov 2018
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

Excellent recommendations. I think if you read Great Expectations, David Copperfield and Bleak House you've experienced some of the finest the English novel has to offer. The only thing I'd add is that if you enjoy those three, then definitely go on to Our Mutual Friend, a magisterial last great work with some of his strongest female characters. 

Trangia 27 Nov 2018

Charles Dickens was involved in a serious train crash in 1865 at Staplehurst, Kent. He was returning from  visit to France which he had spent with his mistress Ellen, when the boat train on which they were travelling was derailed killing 10 people and injuring over 40. He was commended in the press for rescuing a number of passengers and tending to the injured, some of whom died whilst he was comforting them.

Apparently his affair was unknown to his wife and the public, but all was revealed when the press reports were published. Although other reasons for the discovery of his infidelity include the suggestion that he had previously ordered a bracelet for Ellen and it was mistakenly delivered to his home.

He never fully recovered from the mental trauma of the accident and was scared to travel again on trains. He died about 5 years later.

Back to the topic, plus one for Great Expectations. Great book.

Post edited at 08:13
 Thrudge 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Another vote for Bleak House.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...