Champions League tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 06 Mar 2019

PSG V Man Utd. Bloody hell!

gavmac 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I love football!! 

In reply to gavmac:

I love OGS! 

Removed User 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I have a permagrin.

Olaayyy....Ole, Ole Olaayyy

Ole....Ole....

Clauso 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I was rather gruntled about how proceedings proceeded, I must confess. 

Andy Hardy 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

10 minutes of added time. Did Fergie lend the ref a watch? 😉

Well done ManU

felt 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> 10 minutes of added time

That will become var from unusual.

Ben_Climber 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I am a big fan of Ole but not a Man U fan. It is great to see English teams doing well in the CL, so glad they progressed. 

From an neutral standpoint though, that was never a penalty! How can someone with there back to the ball and arm down be a deliberate hand ball? Not to mention the shot was clearly going to row Z anyway.

Lemony 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the fact that the shot was missing. That has nothing to do with whether or not something is handball.

Ben_Climber 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I understand it has nothing to do with the penalty decision. It just seems harsh on PSG that from a shot that that was clearly missing they end up crashing out the CL. A little more salt in the wound i guess.

That said fingers crossed for 4 english teams in the quarters.

Babika 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

Its evenings like this that make me wish I had blinkin BT Sport grrrrrr

There used to be a catch up on Sky or Freeview the next evening but that doesn't seem to happen now. I don't even like Man Utd but I'm kind of warming to Ole

cb294 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

My opinion as well. How much did they pay the ref and VAR to get that decision?

Shame that it is impossible for both teams to be eliminated in a football match, would have been the ideal occasion!

Juve to win the whole thing this year.

CB

Ben_Climber 07 Mar 2019
In reply to cb294:

I think you mean Spurs to win

Lemony 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> From an neutral standpoint though, that was never a penalty! How can someone with there back to the ball and arm down be a deliberate hand ball?

I can understand not thinking it's a penalty but I can't understand how you can be adamant about it. He's jumped into the path of the ball with his arm well away from his body and the ball has hit his arm. That's only ever going to be a margin call.

In reply to Denni:

Look, whoever thinks this was harsh decision needs to think about who was out last night. That perennial sausage roll, Neymar, is out. Nothing makes me happier. That and Real Madrid with that other footballing cockwamble,  Ramos, is out too.  Good week indeed.

Post edited at 12:53
cb294 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

No, my money is on Juve, which probably means they will fail painfully close at some point, probably already next week against AM. But congratulations on how Spurs managed to eliminate a Dortmund team in a temporary crisis. Not very Spursy at all!

CB

cb294 07 Mar 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I like Ramos. A complete bastard, but how I wish he was our bastard!

CB

edit: I agree with you on Neymar, and am especially happy that this dodgy club PSG got eliminated. Hopefully MC next.

Post edited at 13:06
 galpinos 07 Mar 2019
In reply to cb294:

> My opinion as well. How much did they pay the ref and VAR to get that decision?

In isolation it seems a harsh decision but when viewed against other VAR handball decisions this season it appears pretty standard.

IFAB say:

> "handball will be given against a player if their arms extend "beyond a natural silhouette" - even if it is accidental."

What is the natural silhouette?

> Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette

> If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

Post edited at 13:08
cb294 07 Mar 2019
In reply to galpinos:

AFAIK the handball rules will be revised at the next council meeting, about time too.

CB

galpinos 07 Mar 2019
In reply to cb294:

I've added an edit, it was discussed quite a bit this weekend at the IFAB meeting. It does need sorting out, when refs and the lawmakers disagree what chance does the VAR guy have....

I live in Manchester so this has been an "interesting debate" between red and blue this morning. As a Rovers fan, I'm not too bothered but living close to Old Trafford I'm enjoying seeing the reemergence of United under Ole.

Ben_Climber 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Lemony:

You said it yourself, a margin call.

I am adamant it shouldn't have been given rather than adamant it wasn't intentional.

A referee cannot be 100% that it was deliberate. As such the rules say that you give the player the benefit out doubt.

It is such high consequence that if not 100% sure that it is deliberate you cannot give it, and as such shouldn't have given it.

As mentioned though, Neymar is out. We can all smile about that

Removed User 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I looked at it closely and thought it was on target.

Also, the defender saw the shot and jumped and spun to block it but instead of hitting his back it hit his outstretched upper arm.

Harsh but fair I think.

Clauso 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> As mentioned though, Neymar is out. We can all smile about that

My schadenfreude meter went off the scale when the camera cut to his reaction at full-time.

mick taylor 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed User:

Totally fair, not harsh.  Folk might disagree with the actual rulebook, but he made his body bigger using his arms, his arm blocked the ball.  Fabulous game nonetheless.

Removed User 07 Mar 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

Yes, funny but after the first goal I knew we were going to win.

Considering that Pogba, Mata, Martial and a host of other established players were absent last night the performance says great things about the team's future. In fact the only player who has disappointed since Solskaer took over has been Alexi Sanchez. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on in the summer leaving his enormous salary to be split between a couple of younger signings. I guess we have the special one to thank for the depth of strength of the team, if not for anything else.

mick taylor 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed User:

A work colleague at lunch yesterday announced 'two goals first half, of which one early on, then a last minute winner'.  She's seen almost every game at old Trafford since god knows when, so she speaks from experience and is utterly annoyed at not placing a bet.

Agree re: Sanchez - a waste.

Removed User 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Denni:

I love the fact that people are bitching and whining about Man U winning. It been a few years since this was the case but I'm very happy to see a return to form.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...