Brian Wilson gig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 06 Mar 2020

He's playing Glasgow this year, should I go? I'm a fan of the Beach Boys music, not just Pet Sounds. I love the earlier surf stuff too, and some of the post Pet Sounds music. And as a music fan I get their place in popular music, their legacy etc. The thing is, with Brian's well documented problems and his age... I don't want to sound insensitive but is he any good live these days? Has anyone seen him live recently? 

nathan79 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

I saw him maybe 15 years ago (so not exactly recent) but it was extremely underwhelming. It was a festival rather than a gig so thankfully I hadn't paid just for him. Basically he sat clicking his fingers while his band mates carried him. Would have been better seeing a Beach Boys tribute act (which is pretty much what it was).

I'd only go if you want be able to say you saw him and the ticket price is reasonable.

Sl@te Head 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

After a few beers I enjoyed his performance at the Kendal Calling Festival in 2017 he's definitely showing his age but his backing band support him really well. 

toad 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

I saw him at Cropredy, I was slightly embarrassed for him. It felt like he was sitting at the back and smiling vacantly, singing the first line from time to time. Having said that, I have no history with the Beach Boys. The older people that did were ecstatic and thought it was magnificent.  Take your pick

Blue Straggler 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

Elsewhere a friend just posted that Brian Wilson’s band has three Beach Boys and the actual current line up of The Beach Boys has only two.

FWIW. Which is diddly-squat probably 

OP aln 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

Hmm.... I think I'll give it a miss and just stick with the recorded music. Thanks for the replies. 

Sl@te Head 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

If you're a fan and not seen him before, I suggest you go, it will still be a good night out.

I've seen a few aging Rock Stars recently....Roger Waters 76, Nick Mason 76 and David Gilmour who's 74 today! All brilliant still but I have to concede that Brian Wilson at 77 hasn't aged as well as the Floyd!

OP aln 06 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> If you're a fan and not seen him before, I suggest you go, it will still be a good night out.

Why did you have to say that? I'd made my mind up, now I'm swithering again!

Sl@te Head 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

You'll never know if you made the right choice unless you go.....

Simon Caldwell 06 Mar 2020
In reply to aln:

Just check the prices, that'll put you off!

OP aln 06 Mar 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Well exactly. If he was still fabulous live I'd pay that amount, but it doesn't sound like it.

Last Saturday I paid £7 for a gig by three bands in a Glasgow basement. It was amazing, pure rock'n'roll fun n games.

In reply to aln:

I've been a Beach Boys fanatic for 25 years but I don't think I could bring myself to go and watch Brian now. I'm really glad he seems happier and is out there performing and writing but I prefer to remember him as he was in his prime, 'that' voice!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...