Brave New World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Columbia753 27 Jan 2018

Brave New World written by Aldous Huxley.

A supreme new world where all needs are taken care of, no need for any real human emotion.  Negative response to any real stimuli.  Take somma and be a drugged induced zombie.  But then alot are already with out the drugs.

Just re-watched the film of this three hours, an insight into what we think we want. 

Freedom is the ability to say the truth even when its not wanted. George Orwell. 

Come over all deep there.............mmmmmmm :-/ 

Boogs 27 Jan 2018
In reply to thewho:

I picked up an original signed copy for £2.00 a couple of years ago & could not finish it as i thought it very sterile & soul less ,I was aware of the premise before hand but didn't bother with it when younger ( to busy doing more enjoyable things) . My personal take is that he & his brother Julian were too bloody clever for their own good , but what do I know ? 

Thought provoking if nothing else but as soon as eugenics & all that rears its ugly head I tend to overlook their humanist leanings . Interesting though ay ? 

Columbia753 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Boogs:

Yeah am sure the book is heavy going.

Alot of that is already happening of course cctv, medical stuff, driverless cars, drones, IT etc.

In China and similar you are really looking at a real police state though, at least in the west it can go off as you might say. 

Post edited at 23:38
 Kemics 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Boogs:

I read Brave new world and 1984 back to back. Wonder which one will end up being more prophetic! 

...I guess the answer depends if you live in North Korea or not. 

Columbia753 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Kemics:

Brave man, would get depressed by reading both with already knowing the out come.  

Read 1984 and saw the film which bombed but was the last appearance by a certain Mr Burton as Big Brother.  The worst thing in the world is in room 101.....................

Post edited at 00:05
 Boogs 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Kemics:

Blimey , I've seen montages of 1984 but that was enough for me , The Hunger Games & stuff of that ilk weirds me out a little to be honest , although I thought Battle Royale was kind of entertaining in a twisted way . 

I read a report by Carla Stea who works for the U.N recently regarding her visit to Pyongyang North Korea at the end of last year , it was really enlightening I am now planning a surfing holiday in Korea very soon . .

it sounds like there could be some large waves heading in land in the not too distant future . Her report read like a holiday advert . 

Post edited at 23:50
 deepsoup 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Boogs:

> Blimey , I've seen montages of 1984 but that was enough for me , The Hunger Games & stuff of that ilk weirds me out a little to be honest , although I thought Battle Royale was kind of entertaining in a twisted way .

Have you seen Brazil?
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1003033_brazil?

Boogs 28 Jan 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I did see Brazil a very long time ago & remember thinking that I must of missed a crucial scene as I couldn't really make much sense of it . I thought it very strange at the time but have been meaning to watch it again to try & understand it further , do you recommend it ? 

deepsoup 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Boogs:

I love it.  (I think - it's been a good few years since I've seen it mind.)

It probably wasn't you missing a bit though - it really is very strange.
The first review on that Rotten Tomatoes page says, "It's like a stoned, slapstick 1984", and that seems about right to me.  It's trippy.

Boogs 28 Jan 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Ah cool , I think I missed the beginning of it & was stoned myself at the time & just thought whoooaah wtf is going on through most of it . I will give it another go soon , cheers . .  8o)

FactorXXX 28 Jan 2018
In reply to thewho:

Outstanding route!  My shortness required a bit of a comical run up though...

In reply to Boogs:

A large part of Brazil (can't remember how much) is going on in Sam's head (Jonathan Pryce) whilst being tortured by Jack (Michael Palin). I think before that it is a tragic comedy where Sam has no control of random events which lead to his downfall.

Boogs 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Hugh Janus:

> A large part of Brazil (can't remember how much) is going on in Sam's head (Jonathan Pryce) whilst being tortured by Jack (Michael Palin). I think before that it is a tragic comedy where Sam has no control of random events which lead to his downfall.

Right I'll bear that in mind when I watch it again thank Hugh    

Dave Garnett 28 Jan 2018
In reply to thewho:

I first saw V for Vendetta soon after it came out and thought it was a stylish dystopian fantasy.  I saw it again last night and was amazed at how much edgier and more relevant it had become...

Post edited at 19:23
 dread-i 28 Jan 2018
In reply to thewho:

Did you know that you can freely and legally download Brave New World from Project Gutenberg?

https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/huxleya-bravenewworld/huxleya-bravenewworld-00-...

Go on, read it. You know you want to...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...