Book recommendations Indian History, Partition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siward 06 Jul 2021

I want to read more around this subject and have been looking at some of the options out there.

Obviously to read more than one book is the top answer but looking good at the moment are The Great Partition by Yasmin Khan and Partition by Barney White-Spunner.

Perhaps both are a little too focused, for me anyway, on the actual events surrounding partition itself (not unreasonably) so I'm wondering if there's anything that gives a slightly broader perspective and history. 

This being ukc I know that there is nowhere better to ask... 

David Lanceley 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

Have a look at Freedom at Midnight by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre, lots of background and perspective but not too heavy

MisterPiggy 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

I was going to reply saying: I suspect Mark Tully has written something about Partition.

Rather than just leaving at that, I did a five-second Google search before posting and found this:

"Divide and Quit: An Eye-witness Account of the Partition of India" - Tully is a contributor. Sounds like a winner to me...

Tragic episode in Indian history - the ramifications are still keenly felt today.

seankenny 06 Jul 2021
In reply to David Lanceley:

> Have a look at Freedom at Midnight by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre, lots of background and perspective but not too heavy

It's a good read but fairly biased, isn't it? Just to be aware.

When you (the OP) say "broader perspective and history" does that mean you want a longer history of India and the Raj or something about the experience of Indians and colonialism? How about one evening watching "The Chess Players" and another watching "Pather Panchali"...

Herdwickmatt 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward: Inglorious Empire is a fairly bleak history of the Raj/Empires dealings with its former territory.

rogerwebb 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

For wider background,

'The Gem and The Lotus' (starts at 2500bc so might be a little too background) and 'The Mughal Throne' by Abraham Early

'The Raj' , Lawrence James

'The Anarchy' , 'The Last Mughal', William Dalrymple

If I was picking one it would be The Mughal Throne.

OP Siward 06 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

> When you (the OP) say "broader perspective and history" does that mean you want a longer history of India and the Raj or something about the experience of Indians and colonialism. 

I suppose a 20th century history rather than the whole colonial period. But I could be persuaded to look at an overview.

Some good suggestions on this thread though, thanks all 

BusyLizzie 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

There's a novel, "What the body remembers", can't remember who it's by but it hinges on the partition - very good indeed.

David Lanceley 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

The Great Arc about the survey of India and The Great Hedge about the salt tax border give some interesting perspectives.

OP Siward 07 Jul 2021
In reply to David Lanceley:

Yes I've read the Great Arc, an interesting read it is. 

In reply to BusyLizzie:

And 'midnight's children' of course'

TobyA 07 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

> It's a good read but fairly biased, isn't it? Just to be aware.

I read it while backpacking around India as I expect a million other backpackers did as it was recommended in the Lonely Planet! I'm sure it probably is biased in some way, I guess most histories are - I remember being pretty horrified reading about the communal violence and the 'death trains' - I think Freedom at Midnight was the first place I really came across that. I don't think I had heard even the word Partition mentioned at school, for example.

TobyA 07 Jul 2021
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> And 'midnight's children' of course'

It's so long since I read it, but I do remember being quite taken with that book.

seankenny 07 Jul 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> I read it while backpacking around India as I expect a million other backpackers did as it was recommended in the Lonely Planet! I'm sure it probably is biased in some way, I guess most histories are - I remember being pretty horrified reading about the communal violence and the 'death trains' - I think Freedom at Midnight was the first place I really came across that. I don't think I had heard even the word Partition mentioned at school, for example.

I think moreso in the way it treats Gandhi as compared to the other leaders, particularly Jinnah. I find it very telling that minority leaders in India were less than enamoured with him. Jinnah wanted a new country and Ambedkar, leader of the Dalits and one of the authors of the Indian constitution, suggested all Dalits convert to Buddhism rather than carry on with Hinduism, even if Gandhi described them as "children of god".

Midnight's Children is indeed ace, and so is Shame.

Post edited at 16:23
 David Lanceley 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

Many years ago I was visiting a Hydro project up near the Afghan border in Pakistan.  Italian contractor but the usual sprinkling of Brits.  Going into the bar on my first night the guy I was with asked if I wanted a Peroni or a General Dyer.  Turns out General Dyer’s (he of Amritsar massacre fame) family had owned the Murree brewery in Colonial times and amongst the Brits on the site a Murree beer was always known as a General Dyer.

srfh2 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

Not directly covering partition but the period before - The Last Englishmen, by Deborah Baker, is fascinating and definitely aligns with the UKC niche. Lots of climbing and exploring in addition to the politics, and also poets (WH Auden and Stephen Spender's brothers were both involved in Everest expeditions in the 30s).  

mbh 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

A bit after partition, but you did say broad...A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry is a wonderful and heartbreaking novel on the Emergency period of the Indira Ghandi years, less than 30 years after partition.

seankenny 08 Jul 2021
In reply to mbh:

> A bit after partition, but you did say broad...A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry is a wonderful and heartbreaking novel on the Emergency period of the Indira Ghandi years, less than 30 years after partition.

>  

One of my favourite novels ever.

I can also recommend VS Naipaul, his non-fiction is good, try "Beyond Belief", it's fabulous writing even though I disagree with its main thesis, also "A Million Mutinies Now" is great, written in 1990 but Partition is never that far away. His novel "A House for Mr Biswas" is very good but although it's about Indians, it's set in Trinidad so might be a bit too broad!

John2 08 Jul 2021
In reply to seankenny:

Interestingly, Amartya Sen thinks that what Naipaul wrote about India's Muslim dynasties was 'absolute nonsense'.

Home in the World by Amartya Sen — citizen of everywhere | Financial Times (ft.com)

How strange, the link does not post properly - go to FT.com and search for Amartya Sen.

Post edited at 17:22
 seankenny 08 Jul 2021
In reply to John2:

Great article, thanks! Naipaul’s theories are often bunk but his observations of people are excellent.  I think it’s perhaps a little harsh to blame the Hindutva movement on him though...

Post edited at 18:47
OP Siward 09 Jul 2021
In reply to mbh:

Hi. I've read that. A fantastic book I thought 

Point of View 09 Jul 2021
In reply to Siward:

I recently read and would recommend Midnight's Furies by Nisid Hajan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...