Book - Polish climbing/mountaineering as political opposition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 13 Dec 2017

Am looking for a book I saw a review for, or a mention of, possibly on here, about climbing and mountaineering in communist Poland, partly as political opposition/subversion during that era. Has anybody any ideas on what it might be called?

Thanks.

Edit:

http://www.rmbooks.com/book_details.php?isbn_upc=9781926855608

I'd vaguely mis-remembered what the book is about, but I've found it. It's called Freedom Climbers.
Post edited at 17:45
 Sam W 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Probably Freedom Climbers by Bernadette Macdonald, it's a good read
OP Timmd 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Sam W:
Snap.

Ta for the recommendation.
Post edited at 17:44
In reply to Timmd:

Art of Freedom by Bernadette as a follow up is worth a read.
 Siward 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

My friend picked up a sleeping bag back in the 80s from a women's Polish Everest Expedition when he was out there trekking. He used it as his Scottish bag for ages thereafter.

It was NOT very warm. Hard.
OP Timmd 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:
Ha ha.

Post edited at 18:30
OP Timmd 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Thank you.
 Flinticus 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

'Tomaz Humar' biography by her is a great read.
OP Timmd 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:
I wonder if it needed refreshing/cleaning after being sweated into to bring the down back to new? I read the book in 2 days and now vaguely regret not taking my time more because it's a great book. That generation are/were very hardy. So many bivis at 8000 meters without a sleeping bag.
Post edited at 17:08
 Siward 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:
It wasn't down but synthetic.

This is worth a read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1616215.Wanda_Rutkiewicz

I don't think you can get any of her own books in translation which is a pity.

Post edited at 17:47
OP Timmd 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:
I can remember picking up a little bit on what Wanda was doing when I was a younger, and being a little saddened to read of her death in my Dad's High magazine when I was 12. The full significance of what she was doing went over my head at the time, but I think I understood that she was different.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Post edited at 19:09
 Pedro50 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:
Good if harrowing read. It would appear that her physical skills and stamina no longer matched her ambitions - I think she was 49 by then. RIP
Post edited at 19:32
OP Timmd 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

The death toll in Freedom Climbers is vaguely harrowing, it's an inspiring read, too, the amount of get up and go they had, and ingenuity needed to make money to go climbing with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...