Bo Burnham, Inside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 19 Jun 2021

I thought this was superb, and completely original. My take on it was I thought it was probably pretty honest and raw.

Here's a tidbit - if you hate this, you're unlikely to dig the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BneeJTDcU&ab_channel=boburnham

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've been meaning to watch this for a while. I've seen a couple of his other shows, pre-pandemic, and was initially irritated before it clicked and I could keep up with him.

1poundSOCKS 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not heard of him before I saw this but I thought it was brilliant. Watched it twice already.

OP Jon Stewart 19 Jun 2021
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I remember when he was a kid and I thought "teenage tim minchin with much less musical ability" - but he got much better before his duck out of of the limelight. I thought this was better than his "proper" shows though, really captured the zeitgeist or whatever. The combination of lockdown, depression and the f*cked-up world of the internet makes fertile ground for dark comedy, for sure.

Blue Straggler 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks Jon, I've meaning to check out his "day job" work since seeing his mini masterpiece (non comedic, non satire) film Eighth Grade a couple of years ago, and this reminded to do so. I've only watched the song here. What is "Inside"? All musical?

Incidentally "Welcome to the Internet" almost feels like a condensed (and more adult) version of Ralph Breaks the Internet which I highly recommend. 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I remember when he was a kid

He's still not quite 30! Yikes

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Thanks Jon, I've meaning to check out his "day job" work since seeing his mini masterpiece (non comedic, non satire) film Eighth Grade a couple of years ago, and this reminded to do so. I've only watched the song here. What is "Inside"? All musical?

Yes, his thing is comedy song. But this one is a "show" of comedy song in the context of a claustrophobic lockdown doom-spiral. "Slickly choreographed" it is not, but he's a talented enough performer for every bit of rough amateur shitness to be seamlessly woven into the theme making a perfectly coherent piece. It's f*cking brilliant as a whole, even if some of the songs aren't that amazing.

> Incidentally "Welcome to the Internet" almost feels like a condensed (and more adult) version of Ralph Breaks the Internet which I highly recommend. 

Ta, I'll check that out.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Ta, I'll check that out.

You are aware it is a Disney/Pixar kids' film yes? So my comparison might disappoint. But you should also check out Eighth Grade, given that it is Bo's creation (and has a great score from Anna Meredith that I think you will appreciate)

In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Your documentary recommendations are always good. I pay for Netflix but hardly watch it and it feels like a miracle when I find anything good - anything really good on there? I can't seem to find what I like on Netflix, although I'm sure there's loads I would. They seem to have a knack of making everything look the same whether it's a 200 part light rom-sitcom with actors from Sex And The City, or a gritty 3h documentary about poetry from the holocaust.

Occasionally I hear about something I know I'd like (like James Acaster Cold Lasagne) and it's on some other thing that I'm meant to pay for, wtf?.

Not Netflix, but did you see the Storyville on Pepe The Frog? Brilliant!

> You are aware it is a Disney/Pixar kids' film yes?

Ah yes, come to think about it. I'm always being told that despite being for 8 year olds, I'll like something like this, and when it comes to the crunch I don't (because it's for 8 year olds). Will try the Bo Burnham tho, ta!

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Not Netflix, but did you see the Storyville on Pepe The Frog? Brilliant!

Agreed. An exploration of the darker parts of the internet and a painful portrait of an artist's loss of control of his work.

I'll at least start anything released in the Storyville "slot"; so many of them are amazing.

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Can I just say that it’s an improvement on Stiltskin’s “Inside”? 

1poundSOCKS 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Your documentary recommendations are always good. I pay for Netflix but hardly watch it and it feels like a miracle when I find anything good - anything really good on there?

Just had quick look. "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" is really good. No need to be a fan! Can't recall anything I saw recently.

I spend most of the time on Netflix watching older films, things I remember enjoying but maybe watched once ages ago.

Not a documentary but I thought "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" was the best thing on Netflix was some time.

> Not Netflix, but did you see the Storyville on Pepe The Frog? Brilliant!

I'll have a look thanks. So many great Storyville docs.

OP Jon Stewart 20 Jun 2021
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Just had quick look. "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" is really good. No need to be a fan! Can't recall anything I saw recently.

I'm not, but I often love music docs regardless, sounds perfect. Have you seen Dig!, about the dandy warhols and Brian jonestown massacre? 

> Not a documentary but I thought "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" was the best thing on Netflix was some time.

I've been put off watching this. I watched synecdoche NY twice and didn't get a lot out of it, expecting the same. Might try it though. 

1poundSOCKS 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Have you seen Dig!, about the dandy warhols and Brian jonestown massacre? 

No. Seems to be on Amazon Prime, which I don't have.

In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Dunno about you but I really really hate the subscription model for this stuff. Can you rent these things for cheap on Google still or has everything been split up so that access to the arts is now a sort of weird lottery thing? 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

By far the best way is still torrents or whatever, but it's so damn fiddly. It's easier to buy crack online than get the film you want to watch. 

1poundSOCKS 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Dunno about you but I really really hate the subscription model for this stuff.

Yes. Funny how when it comes to individual purchases, I tend to not bother. Guess that's why they sucker so many of us into subscriptions. And I can't justify more than one to watch movies. Especially since I spend more time on YouTube than Netflix.

It might be better if they separated content delivery from creation, got rid of exclusives. Then subscription services might be better. For sport too.

I feel locked into Amazon because of my Kindle, with a lot of my books on. Even though I like the device.

Post edited at 12:29
OP Jon Stewart 24 Jun 2021

> But you should also check out Eighth Grade, given that it is Bo's creation (and has a great score from Anna Meredith that I think you will appreciate)

I was just watching Eighth Grade, but a friend just saved me from its clutches. I'll finish it. I've found the first half hideously real, brilliantly scripted/casted/acted, utterly compelling. Just incredibly uncomfortable and close to the bone. Euugh! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...