Big Oil v the World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 05 Aug 2022

An excellent three part documentary detailing how 'big oil' covered up how they knew about the effect of emissions on climate change in the 70s, how they delayed legislation with lobbying information they knew to be dishonest and how they 'greenwashed' the US about shale gas (covering up methane leakage that made the use of gas more damaging to climate change than burning oil).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0cgql8f

Post edited at 14:30
 aln 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

And? No-one cares. Go into a supermarket car park and see how many people are sitting with their engines running, waiting on their other half doing the shopping. The vast amount of totally unnecessary 4x4 cars sitting in driveways waiting for the 2 mile journey to school burning 25 mile per gallon. Sitting around at night drinking gin and prosecco cocktails talking about how they've been recycling coz they care about the environment. 

robert-hutton 05 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

> And? No-one cares. Go into a supermarket car park and see how many people are sitting with their engines running, waiting on their other half doing the shopping. The vast amount of totally unnecessary 4x4 cars sitting in driveways waiting for the 2 mile journey to school burning 25 mile per gallon. Sitting around at night drinking gin and prosecco cocktails talking about how they've been recycling coz they care about the environment. 

And complaining how much the energy bills have gone up and not how to use less.

aln 05 Aug 2022
In reply to robert-hutton:

Absolutely. 

OP Offwidth 05 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Maybe part of why many don't care is conspiracy stories that global warming is a hoax, or Koch style propaganda that it's real but overstated and easily fixable. Maybe it's numbness to a world going mad. In the end governments need to change laws in concert to have a really major effect.

In reply to Offwidth:

Ever read about the conspiracy behind leaded fuel? 

youtube.com/watch?v=IV3dnLzthDA&

aln 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

No they just don't care. Big cars to boost their self esteem are more important. 

David Riley 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

You knew about it too.

AllanMac 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Unfortunately I don't see the incestuous links between the evil triumvirate of big polluters, the political right and their media enablers being severed anytime soon. Humanity is at peak stupidity right now, rendered blind and zombified by what they have been told and have read, and therefore what they believe. How these people sleep at night is beyond me.

I think it was Hegel who said: “Humans can only grasp the present order when it begins to disintegrate” 

neilh 06 Aug 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Fascinating programme , although I do recall British Gas using the phrase natural gas a long time ago. Time to rename it methane gas...

Post edited at 10:00
 aln 06 Aug 2022
In reply to AllanMac:

> Humanity is at peak stupidity right now,

This^

Rampart 07 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

>  No-one cares.

I think they (we?) do - but more in a general way rather than one they specifically relate to their day-to-day actions. It seems unlikely that anyone would be in favour of pollution per se, but since air quality and a changing climate is largely the consequence of many varied inputs over many years, Tabatha's Range Rover Sport engine idling in Waitrose carpark isn't immediately obvious as a contributor. Except to anyone passing directly behind, maybe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...