Beyond Limits by Steve McClure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good afternoon. 

At the moment I am reading Steve McClure's Autobiography - Beyond Limits. 

Myself, I have found thid book to be really enjoyable and great read. I take it with me on public transport to read on the way to climbing walls. 

Who has read it and what do people think of the book?

IMHO, it is similar to Ben Moon's Statement. 

Bye 

MS

Chris_Mellor 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Well, i'm glad I read it but I wouldn't want to read it again. I'd rate it behind Johnny Dawes biography, not as pleased with itself as Jerry Moffat's bio, not as outrageous as Julian Lines' bio, and nowhere near as much fun as Punks in the Gym.  I haven't read the Ben oon book so I can't compare it to that.

In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Hi Chris. 

I have read Full of Myself aswell. I have r read the Jerry Moffatts bio or the other two you mention before Ben Moon's. 

Which of the three would you recommend? 

I have read The Hard Years by Joe Brown and Mountaineer by Sir Chris Bonington. 

Sav

Post edited at 18:46
 Sam W 14 Sep 2020

Was pleasantly surprised by Beyond Limits, very readable and more than just 'I did this hard route then that hard route'.  One of the better climbing autobiographies that I've read

PaulJepson 14 Sep 2020

On the subject of autobiographies, I found 'The Calling' by Barry Blanchard a great read. I was bought it as a gift as it won the Boardman Tasker Prize and it was something I had no real idea about (Canadian/North American mountaineering). I'd recommend if you wanted something different. I didn't find it as jarring as books by other north Americans (e.g. Mark Twight). 

Post edited at 15:20
In reply to Sam W:

I found that Steve doesn't just talk about his climbing but other aspects of his life. 

Yesterday I read the chapter called 'Professional' about the different kinds of people who make money and/or a living from clumbing. 

MS

In reply to PaulJepson:

I will look into this book. 

Ian Parsons 15 Sep 2020

> Yesterday I read the chapter called 'Professional' about the different kinds of people who make money and/or a living from clumbing. 

Hah! I presume that the typo at the end should read 'plumbing'. I expect that Joe Brown was mentioned - although he was, I think, a 'jobbing builder'.

In reply to Ian Parsons:

Lol. It was meant to be climbing. Sorry about the typo. 

Post edited at 18:32
 Ian Parsons 15 Sep 2020

Absolutely no problem; I frequently rely on such situations to exercise my 'hilarity muscle' - although other opinions on that may well be available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...