Best Dire Straits track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 25 Aug 2022

Surely Telegraph Road?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Wp2ASqyxI&

Slackboot 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

It has to be Sultans of Swing!

youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY&

In reply to Denni:

Your both wrong, but thats ok, I'm here to help.

youtube.com/watch?v=AKiVttFnqkY&

morpcat 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

You shouldn't come around here singing up to people like that!

youtube.com/watch?v=rC95MEenIxA&

In reply to Denni:

Could you not do best tooth to get a filling in? Or best toenail to find ingrowing? Or best power tool to be woken up by?

TMM 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Telegraph road live is a mighty beast. I think the whole Alchemy album catches a very impressive iteration of the band. Terry Williams on drums brings a muscularity that Pick Withers lacked which helped the transition to being an arena and stadium act. Tunnel of love, Once upon a time in the west, Romeo and Juliet, Going home as well as Sultans are probably their definitive versions. 

Some of the lesser known album tracks worth checking out would be Six blade knife, Wild West end and Lions from the eponymous first album. News, Portobello belle and Follow me home from Communique. Hand in hand is a little treasure on Making Movies. Love over gold is dominated by Telegraph road but Industrial disease is an interesting quirk.

Brothers in arms is its own thing, almost a different band. From BiA it has to be the title track. I think this is the best version I’ve heard, from the 1988 Mandela 70th birthday concert at Wembley. Knopfler’s soloing is sublime. There is a moment at the end when he holds the mic and just realises there’s nothing left to say. 
youtube.com/watch?v=CDY2K_f_5-s&

Mark’s solo, production and session work post DS on prodigious. Enjoy this take on American values with Randy Newman

youtube.com/watch?v=cS06eprlj2I&

plyometrics 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Live: Private Investigations

Studio: Brothers In Arms

Excellent thread. 

plyometrics 26 Aug 2022
In reply to TMM:

Once again, top marks on your DS insight. 👌

Tony Buckley 26 Aug 2022
In reply to TMM:> I think the whole Alchemy album

. . . was played so often back when it came out that even now, all these years later, I think that putting it in landfill is treating it better than it deserves.

T.

Clwyd Chris 26 Aug 2022
In reply to TMM:

Couldn't disagree more on the drummers, yes Terry Williams is super flash rolling up and down the toms, but just listen to Dire Straits and Communique, Pick Withers any day

freeflyer 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Used to be my goto track for a long distance drive, in the days when the roads were wide and free.

These days it’s anything by the Jam.

Gordonbp 26 Aug 2022
In reply to TMM:

As a veteran, Brothers In Arms gets to me every time.....

Slackboot 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

You may like this version by the Band of the Royal Marines. Very different to the original but strangely moving and heartfelt.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D8eCsC8g2cwE&...

TMM 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Clwyd Chris:

> Couldn't disagree more on the drummers, yes Terry Williams is super flash rolling up and down the toms, but just listen to Dire Straits and Communique, Pick Withers any day

Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear. I also prefer Pick’s style but Terry providing that increased drive for the larger shows. It’s telling that Terry only features on one two full studio recordings (Twisting by the pool and Two young lovers). Despite the tour drummer for BiA he only played the drum crescendo on the Money for nothing intro with session player Omar Hakim being preferred for the other tracks. Pick has a great groove and brings a jazz sympathy to the early recordings. He quit due the band no longer being a band and having to play what he was told. Dire Straits was not a democracy.

abr1966 26 Aug 2022
In reply to freeflyer:

> Used to be my goto track for a long distance drive, in the days when the roads were wide and free.

Agreed.....for me, to be timed exactly for that stretch of road from Kinlochewe....heading north along loch Maree and looking across to Slioch....great track, great road...

Gordonbp 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

Wow. Got some dust in my eyes.......

What a voice.

abr1966 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

At 18 I didn't get this at all but after a few years in it became very poignant to me.....the black and the white soon turned to shades of grey...

OP Denni 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Just sat and watched Local Hero again. Apart from the film, one of my old time favourites, good old Going Home is played as well.

Darron 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Knopflers album with Emmy Lou Harris 'All the Roadrunning' is well worth a listen.

freeflyer 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

> Just sat and watched Local Hero again. Apart from the film, one of my old time favourites, good old Going Home is played as well.

Sounds like a good evening. The Russians are coming.

montyjohn 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

>  It has to be Sultans of Swing!

Almost. Your on the right tracks, but more specifically the live piece of sultans of swing music at the end which is better than the actual song:

I can just listen to this bit over and over 

youtube.com/watch?v=cJwJ11-pmxg&

Post edited at 23:43
Clauso 27 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Communiqué is an early album that often gets overlooked in favour of some of the later MTV-friendly stuff.

Dave Todd 27 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Wild West End for me, from the first album. Never get tired of it...

birdie num num 27 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Belladonna on the high street.....

well that always got my youthful juices flowing, regardless of whether it was the best track....

jonah jones 27 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni
Agree it’s very good, as are Brothers In Arms, Follow Me Home, Tunnel Of Love, but I would go for Iron Hand, surely one of the best songs about the miners strike.

Clarence 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Got to be Money For Nothing for me, the day I learned to play it convincingly was the best day of my guitar-playing life.

Pedro50 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Clarence:

> Got to be Money For Nothing for me, the day I learned to play it convincingly was the best day of my guitar-playing life.

Curious my least favourite track of them all.

TMM 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

> Curious my least favourite track of them all.

It’s not a typical sounding DS track and is very much of its time. Having said that it is another Knopfler character song. I’d also be happy not to hear walk of life or two  young lovers again either.

Andy Chubb 28 Aug 2022
In reply to TMM:

Brilliant version of Brothers In Arms, but it has to be asked, what's he done on grit?

Martin Hore 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

> You may like this version by the Band of the Royal Marines. Very different to the original but strangely moving and heartfelt.

Excellent version, but a little odd to see a military band playing what I always thought was an anti-war song. 

My best Dire Straits number: it's got to be the theme from Local Hero. Sultans of Swing and Brothers in Arms are close runners up for me.

Martin

Slackboot 28 Aug 2022
In reply to jonah jones:

Never heard 'Iron Hand' before! Thanks for the heads up!

It brought back all the memories of the strike. Of scavenging for coal on the pit heap to try and keep a fire going at home. No central heating in those days!

It was nearly 40 years ago but listening to that track made it seem like yesterday.

NB. I have edited out some of the stuff I originally posted. I think it's time to forgive and forget. For me anyway.

Post edited at 20:12
 riff156 28 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Surely as this is a climbing forum it has to be

Solid Rock from making movies [ as climbers we should all love that ] 

MisterPiggy 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Denni:

Skateaway.

At our school form meetings, students could bring their favourite record to be played at the end. Skateaway was the track I chose. Still get goosebumps 40+ years later. Still today, weaving through stalled traffic, I hear the line 'urban torreador' over the engine noise 😀

TMM 29 Aug 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

Yes! That song has a real groove and some great drumming. 

In reply to Denni:

Probably Tunnel of Love, and I bought the albums as they came out. Bought the first album after buying Sultans of Swing on 45.

But….

Ive come to a major realisation recently. If anyone asks me ‘best guitarist?’ ‘best album?’ etc. I would reel off stuff, Jimi, SRV, Metallica, loads of stuff. But I haven’t listened to a Hendrix album in decades and pretty well stopped listening to Metallica after a master of Puppets. 
My Apple Music app stats tell me that for all my love of Zeppelin, I only listen to Physical Graffitti and In through the Out Door. I play all Sabbath up to Mob Rules. All Slayer, all Megadeth, loads of Pat Metheney and Alan Holdsworth. All Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, zero Nirvana, Pearl Jam!?!?

Zero: Dire Straits, The Stones etc. which are bands I would put in the top 20 of all time, and Keith in the top 10 guitarists. Van Halen, I would put Eddie in the top 5 but zero listens.
So my metric of greatness now is whether I actually listen to a band. Based on this, Deep Purple’s Machine Head and Megadeth’s Peace Sells are the greatest albums of all time 😍

There are other zeroes: I don’t think the march of time has been very kind to U2, Dylan was always unlistenable, and Pet Sounds - the greatest album of all time? Null point. 
Obvs. this is all subjective and just for fun, but it is interesting to look at one’s stats, for me some of it was a bit of a surprise.

Post edited at 08:35
 plyometrics 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Clarence:

Do like Money for nothing, but like others have said it’s quite atypical for a DS sound. 

Having listened to the Brothers In Arms album again since this thread, the outros for both Why Worry and Ride Across The River are worth a mention. I find them both utterly sublime. 

Siward 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

The trouble with Dire Straits, as your link shows, is bright suits with the sleeves rolled up, pixie boots and the headband to top it all off.

It wasn't acceptable then and it isn't now. No. Symptomatic of all that was terrible about the 80s.

Nice guitarist tho  

barbeg 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

"Forgive and forget..."

I will never forget it, and nor have you....

Personally I won't forgive either..... appalling treatment of decent people. 

Barbeg 

Gordonbp 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

You'd be surprised. When i was in, our  anthem was Universal Soldier, which is very definitely an anti-war song...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...