Best Albums 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 03 Dec 2018

It’s not premature I hope. I think we’ll only get a few Queen and Rod Stewart compilations from here on.

What are your favourites from this year and why? Top 2, top 10, whatever; we don’t need no rules. 

Sl@te Head 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Richard Ashcroft - Natural Rebel 

Jack White - Boarding House Blues

Nin - Bad Witch 

Manic Street Preachers - Resistance is Futile 

Snow Patrol - Wildness 

mav 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Low - Double Negative is the standout for me by a long long way.

aln 04 Dec 2018
In reply to mav:

I didn't know they had something new out, I'll have to check it out. Thanks. 

Blue Straggler 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Mattiel's album (self titled, untitled, whatever)

Pure indie-pop perfection of a kind I haven't heard since Rilo Kiley's "More Adventurous". Every song is a banger!

malk 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury: The Beatles reissue

Urban5teve 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Naxatras - III 

J101 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Zeal and Ardor - Stranger Fruit

Rolo Tomassi - Time will die and love will bury it

Conjuror - Mire

Gazelle Twin - Pastoral

Lorn - Remnant

Møl - Jord

Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

Therapy? - Cleave

Bossk Keloid - Melted On The Inch

Thou - Magus

Pijn - Loss

Hollywood Burns - Invaders

Irreversible Mechanism - Immersion

Big Lad - Pro Rock

New Horizon - JK Flesh

In reply to J101:

Blimey I am out of touch, I have heard of two of those!

Ramblin dave 04 Dec 2018
In reply to J101:

> Big Lad - Pro Rock

Best artwork of the year, if nothing else!

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Beats me, I've only heard of one of those bands. 

Will have to have a quick listen and see if I might enjoy getting in touch.

In reply to mountain.martin:

> Beats me, I've only heard of one of those bands. 

One of my two is Rollo Tomasi and I couldn't name or hum one of his songs!

J101 04 Dec 2018

Rolo Tomassi are a band rather than one person, maybe you're thinking of the character from LA Confidential?

Conjuror, Møl, Irreversible Mechanism, Deafheaven and Thou are metal (of very different types), Zeal and Ardor is soul and gospel mixed with metal...thought I should mention this in case anyone decides to have a listen as I know metal does so divide opinion!

Therapy? are still a rock band.

Bossk Keloid are bluesy stoner rock

Hollywood Burns is 50s sci-fi music mixed with synths.

Post edited at 18:12
 rockcatch 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

My top five new albums of 2018 are:

1) Bury Tomorrow - Black Flame

2) Beartooth - Disease

3) Architects - Holy Hell

4) Bad Wolves - Disobey

5) You me at Six - VI

Padraig 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Richard Ashcroft - Natural Rebel 

Son treated me to The Stones @ Murrayfield this year & RA was the support act.  We kinda knew him from Verve BUT He blew us both away!  AMAZING!

So much so we both went to see him @ his next concert in Glasgow.

Padraig 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

4got to say ..

My fav album of year Chris   .. Christine & the queens.

5 dollar..baby blue

Edit... Wonder how many peeps are googling Christine & the queens? 

I discovered them on Jools Hootenanny few years ago & was blown away..

youtube.com/watch?v=v8eulIH7tU0&

youtube.com/watch?v=HKpiIolS3e0&

Post edited at 20:19
 Padraig 04 Dec 2018
 malky_c 04 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

As per last year, this is basically just a short list of the albums released this year that I have listened to all the way through (most of them more than once)

Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love. Possibly their best yet, more post-rock influences showing than previously.

Therapy? - Cleave. Classic Therapy. Not quite Troublegum, but in that vein rather than their less accessible stuff.

Kristin Hersh - Possible Dust Clouds. Saw her playing solo earlier this year - pretty intense considering it was just her plus acoustic guitar. The album versions are pretty different - they rock pretty hard.

F*cked Up - Dose your Dreams. Can't believe I've never listened to Fucked Up before. Double album of all over the place stuff - shouty punk and metal to indie and poppy stuff. 

Belly - Dove. A bit on the slick and mushy side, but some great songs on there.

Post edited at 21:22
In reply to J101:

> Rolo Tomassi are a band rather than one person, maybe you're thinking of the character from LA Confidential?

I feel silly now!
Is it an LA Confidential character?
I always muddled Rolo Tomassi with Paolo Nutini without really hearing either of them (mind you I somehow used to similarly muddle China Crisis with Green On Red "those bands with similar names")

In reply to malky_c:

> Kristin Hersh - Possible Dust Clouds. Saw her playing solo earlier this year - pretty intense considering it was just her plus acoustic guitar. The album versions are pretty different - they rock pretty hard.

I have not heard this yet. I also saw her earlier this year andhave seen her solo or with TM (and once as Fifty Foot Wave) maybe 25 times over the years but in the last 12 years it has felt more like a loyal duty than anything else. Saw her in Cambridge and it wasn’t that thrilling, she was GOOD but falling back on old classics. I ha e heard very very good things about the new album though

> Belly - Dove. A bit on the slick and mushy side, but some great songs on there.

saw them twice this year and three times in 2016 but weirdly have not listened to Dove properly yet despite buying it on vinyl and getting it signed.

a song from it came up unseen on iTunes running on random tonight and I somehow didn’t instantly recognise Tanya’s voice and thought “what is this and how do I own it?” Which is a good sign

J101 04 Dec 2018

It's a character someone in the film makes up as part of a narrative they're spinning (does that make sense?)

In reply to J101:

yeah, only seen it once , on release. 21 years ago. Crikey bikey . LA Confidential is from 21 years ago. Films that were 21 years old when  LA Confidential came out, were Network, Taxi Driver and Rocky. 

pasbury 04 Dec 2018

Oi Oi Oi there’s a Court in session.

Keep it on topic.

pasbury 04 Dec 2018
In reply to malk:

> The Beatles reissue

Retrospective rule; new music only.

In reply to pasbury:

> Oi Oi Oi there’s a Court in session.

> Keep it on topic.

Confidence Man

MonkeyPuzzle 05 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Two standouts for me (although I've not been paying enough attention this year).

Idles - Joy as an Act of Rebellion: Clattery, angry, happy, punk and pop at the same time without being punk pop. Earnest enough to make its point but with witty enough lyrics to carry it all off.

Skeptical - Enjoy This Trip: Immaculately produced minimal and precise drum and bass, dubstep and half-step. The sounds are super crisp and crucnchy, and the space between the sounds feels massive. Best DnB I've heard since the Full Cycle or early Teebee stuff of the early 2000s.

mav 05 Dec 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Couldn't get into Dove. One of these occasions where halfway through the first listen all I want to do is go back to the earlier (better) albums. 

Had missed the Kristin Hersh one, will have to check it out.

pasbury 05 Dec 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

I’ve asked Father Christmas for the Idles album, looking forward to it (if I’ve been good).

pasbury 07 Dec 2018
In reply to mav:

> Low - Double Negative is the standout for me by a long long way.

You beat me to it. I’d never really listened to Low, I thought they were a sort of post rock band and i’d Investigate them one day. But the reviews of Double Negative (thanks Pitchfork!) were irresistible.

It exists in the same space as Loveless, Closer and Metal Box. A really beautifully wrecked sound. Ruined and delicate at the same time. The lyrics utterly hopeless and full of hope at the same time.

I listen to it in the car and the bass makes a different bit of the interior trim resonate each day.

It’s still only second fave of the year though, I’m working up an even more pseudish description of that one.

Post edited at 23:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...