Best acoustic combo amp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 24 Apr 2019

I'm after a combo amp for cello, for backline in gigs. My setup is a traditional cello with Realist Copperhead and DPA 4099 Core mic, signals blended using a Grace Design Felix preamp. Currently I have a MarkBass combo (Mini CMD 121P), which is loud and bassy, but isn't subtle/supportive enough for the higher registers, and an SWR Super Redhead which does that better, but is much too big and heavy to drag round gigs. I need to tick these boxes:

+ Transparent, across-all-the frequencies hi-fi sound (i.e. a high-end acoustic amp).

+ Plenty of wattage and decent low end (can't have any cello in the monitor wedge in front of me because of the mic, so need all my stage monitoring from backline, with my body between it and the mic). Also occasional amp-only gigs (no pa).

+ Compact and transportable 

+ Ideally, 2 channels, and onboard reverb

Current top of the list is Acoustic Image Ten2 S4 Plus, but that's based on educated guesswork - it's very difficult to find one I can try - not without driving from Chepstow to Carlisle, anyway!!  Has anyone got that amp, or have any experience of it? Any other amps I should be considering? I have been looking at the Mesa Boogie Rosette 2x8, but wondering if its low end would be enough.

Many thanks

Post edited at 12:20
OP bpmclimb 24 Apr 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

... bit niche for a climbing website, perhaps

OP bpmclimb 27 Apr 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

Just to complete the story, I've gone for the Ten2 - it's on it's way from Germany as I write - and there is a climbing connection to report: I'm selling some stuff to help fund the purchase of mic, preamp and amp: music items, but also some climbing books and kit (will be posting soon about that). 

Oh yes .... and I was going to have a set of Dragonfly cams, but can no longer justify the expense, so that's off the shopping list

graeme jackson 29 Apr 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've been using a markbass LM800 and TRV121H cab for my double bass fronted by a fishman platinum pro to try to control some of the feedback from the j-tone bridge peizo.  I've recently received an Armstrong Magnetic pickup but it needs to be glued to the end of the fingerboard which I've not had time to do yet.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a bit more volume than with the piezo cos I'm fighting two guitards and a drummer. 

OP bpmclimb 29 Apr 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

You going to keep the j-tone on and blend the signal with the new one? 

graeme jackson 29 Apr 2019
In reply to bpmclimb:

not sure. the plat pro only has one input so I'd have to shell out for a new pre, something like the radial tonebone PZ or Headway EDB.  A bit strapped just now so I'll be using the mag pup by itself till funds allow. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...