Bedsit Wonder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boomer Doomer 16 May 2021

This post has two connected topics. Firstly, of all the brilliant bedsit wonder guitarist on YouTube banging out awesome covers of some of the most difficult contemporary music around... this guy from Argentina is the best I've come across. The first link is bonkers. The second is beautiful. The third is one of the most covered solos ever. It's a rite of passage... like doing Master's Edge... it's hard and it's beautiful and this is the best I've heard since the OG. Perhaps you know better ones?

youtube.com/watch?v=qDU9Pk3Es0E&

youtube.com/watch?v=wK9thtcZUUU&

youtube.com/watch?v=cMdIk0Z0rio&

The second thing that struck me. Is this the new classical music? Will people be listening to Rock and Metal in the centuries to come and learning how to play these pieces note for note, like they do with the great composers of the past. It's a genre that's been around for 50 years now and kids are still listening to Hendrix, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth. Are there any other genres which have that legacy? Jazz (or jazz based) is possibly the only other genre with its "pantheon of immortals", but it's nowhere near as popular.

Anyway... NO... SLEEP... 'TIL... BEDTIME!

Removed User 16 May 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

As long as we have lobbies, elevators and call waiting we will have Neil Diamond.

philipivan 16 May 2021

Love the music but not a massive fan of these straight covers, I've heard some brilliant bands doing their own style covers over lockdown though like:

youtube.com/watch?v=8R6StQfLNbw&

youtube.com/watch?v=mkcP52lW57Q&

youtube.com/watch?v=nTd5ghvMkvI&

Lankyman 16 May 2021

Have you looked at any of Rick Beato's commentaries? Most of his stuff I've watched is 'What makes this song great?' in which he forensically examines many classic rock songs. One of his features was about this phenomenon of 'bedroom' guitar wizards on the internet. There are obviously some phenomenally fantastic players about who can really knock out a belting rock tune. I think what Rick highlights most of all in his feature is where does this all lead. To really ensure 'rock' stays relevant it has to be performed live with other people (ie a band), all jamming along together in time and with spirit and  coming up with something greater than the individual parts. Most (but not all) the young people I work with know very little about rock or the history of popular music - much less than I did at their age.

OP Boomer Doomer 16 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yeah, enjoy Rick's stuff... though he nearly always chooses the wrong song for 'What makes this song great?' IMO of course. 😉 Haven't seen that particular video, but I have heard him say something similar.

I suppose I get my perception that kids still love Rock from the amount I see at concerts and the abundance of bedsit wonders. Another thing that strikes me is that apart from a few exceptions, 'Pop' music's greats tend to be of the moment. I mean considering his legendary status, who is listen to Elvis these days? Well I do very occasionally, but considering the commercial success that Pop music gains, it seems very transient.

In reply to philipivan:

Fantastic covers, the first two happen to be possibly my favourite songs by those artists, but my favourite Sabbath songs is probably Megalomania. The "Have a Cigar" is outstanding... they could be made into a monster if they all pull together as a team! The singer was fantastic that is really what I think, but I loved that solo nearly as much as the drummer did... great fusions of styles, sometimes Iommi, sometimes Page and then he drops into the full Happy Gilmour!

I hear what you're saying. I was just pointing out that people are learning these virtually note for note, like people learn classical music. I just love and appreciate the skill of these people whether they play it straight or improvise over the top. However, what I like about Lucio is that he captures the emotion/spirit/soul/whatever of the original, whereas other seem a little bit dry... a bit like some classical recitals.

PaulJepson 16 May 2021

Plenty of people still listening to The Beatles, Beach Boys, Joni Mitchel,  Simon and Garfunkle, Dylan, Creedence, Rolling Stones, etc. Then there's all the funk and soul music like Al Green, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, etc. 

I'm sure a lot of people in America still listen to Elvis, even if his popularity has dropped off in Europe.

As much as I love guitar music, I don't think you can put Hendrix and Megadeath in the same box. I'm not sure people will be listening to 80s metal in 20 years, nevermind a hundred. The music that came out of societal revolutions when new genres were created and defined are more likely to stand the test of time. 

In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

Given the thread subject... this immediately sprang to mind:

youtube.com/watch?v=NTfZshkNZRw&

In reply to PaulJepson:

Rust in Peace, probably Megadeth's magnum opus, is now significantly older than Hendrix was when it came out. I would suggest that kids are listening to stuff like that even more than they are listening to Hendrix, that might even be more the case with someone like Metallica or Tool. Personally, I much prefer the playing style of Friedman to Hendrix, though I appreciate both. As for putting them in the same box... it's distorted guitar, it's loud and it makes your head nod.

I'm also not sure that all of the artists that you list are being listened to by the youth of today, is their popularity just amongst us surviving fogeys? Perhaps Dylan and some of those soul artists are an exception to this, but I'm quite happy to be wrong.

plyometrics 16 May 2021

Thanks for sharing! Couple of talented guys, although seeing people cover some of my favourite guitarists always reminds me how good people like Vai and Satriani are. 

I know artists like them aren’t everyone’s six string cup of tea, as it were, but watching footage like this always blows my mind: 

youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U&

In reply to plyometrics:

youtube.com/watch?v=e0AjQUI5NN4&

Shame I can just give the one thumbs up! Hardly a bedsit wonder... more like the Devil's personal guitarist. I'm certainly not arguing with anyone who says he's the greatest electric guitar player there has been, because he's more than in that conversation.

I think he might have taken Zappa's "Spanking Stevie" personally!

youtube.com/watch?v=M5m8hyRcXQU&

wbo2 16 May 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:  You can have a good discussion round this but I don't think many kids are actually listening to this music - the people playing it are older. Elvis is a good case - my kids didn't even recognise Elvis singing, he's just a caricature from impersonators.  I guess young rock fans will be listening to Black Sabbath, but most kids? No way.  The Doors may as well as never existed.

That's how it is.  I work with a bloke who basically taught his son to worship Alice Cooper.  He thinks it's cool, but why not let the kid develop his own taste.  I wouldn't have appreciated being forced to love skiffle as an example because my dad liked it.  Plus Alice Cooper musically really is tedious

In reply to wbo2:

Can't argue with any of that.

robert-hutton 16 May 2021

If you like guitar played like BB king have a look at kingfish,  youtube.com/watch?v=2dWRQU5FiBI&

That boy can play

Lankyman 16 May 2021

> Given the thread subject... this immediately sprang to mind:

That is, without doubt, a vast improvement on the original

In reply to Lankyman:

How about some Brittany Spears or Tom Jones?

youtube.com/watch?v=reVB-Z2Vk64&

plyometrics 16 May 2021

Or even some AC/DC...

youtube.com/watch?v=qfGggAGITwg&

In reply to plyometrics:

There aren't many guitarists who have ever looked so comfortable with their axe... Jimi... Stevie Ray?

Post edited at 19:57
 plyometrics 16 May 2021

Agreed. Absolutely effortless.

Always thought Mark Knopfler looked way too comfortable with his guitar. Think the Alchemy Live at The Apollo gig captures his talent and ease beautifully. 

In reply to plyometrics:

Kinda back on topic... or maybe a fusion of some previous posts? I think you'll enjoy this.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Xi0CKBS_WM&

Removed User 16 May 2021

Judging by history the stuff that seems to survive the ages seems to do so by mass rather than just quality alone, just as for every transitional species we find in the fossil record there's a lot seaweed and ferns. I have a feeling that in 300 years our descendants will know us by our legacy of Baby Shark, twangly hipster Apple commercials and k-pop. A few aficionados will be into Hendrix and David Bowie, but mining the data of ancient google records could be pretty embarrassing. 

Lankyman 17 May 2021

> There aren't many guitarists who have ever looked so comfortable with their axe... Jimi... Stevie Ray?

Perhaps it's indicative of my age (more particularly when I started to really listen to music) but my particular guitar heroes would have to be Alex Lifeson and Eddie Van Halen. Hendrix and Page were just too early to hook me. Both Lifeson and Van Halen pumped out some blazing riffs and also innovated technically over several decades.

OP Boomer Doomer 17 May 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Rush are my favourite band and they have been a huge part of my life. Lerxst is also my favourite guitarist. Eddie was once asked, "What's it like being the greatest guitarist of your generation?" He replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Alex Lifeson." High praise indeed!

Lankyman 18 May 2021

> Rush are my favourite band and they have been a huge part of my life. Lerxst is also my favourite guitarist. Eddie was once asked, "What's it like being the greatest guitarist of your generation?" He replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Alex Lifeson." High praise indeed!

Yes. Rush were my favourite band - saw them twice in the late seventies. Two twin neck guitars was the height of cool for me. Ironically, the only time I saw VH they were not so good - maybe too much coked out? I knew Eddie said that! When he died last year I went back over the old stuff from the DLR years on YouTube - boy could they work the joint.

My son and his mates are still listening to Zeppelin, Sabbath and Megadeth, but I may have played a part in that. Marty Friedman and Kiko Loureiro are high up my list, Yngwie, Satriani and Steve Vai are brilliant players but are relegated from the list for inspiring a generation of soulless vacuous shredders. Pat Metheny, Django, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Alan Holdsworth for the pantheon? Plus Jaco 😍

my top 5 prob reflects my age, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, EVH, Tony Iommi with honourable mentions for Angus, Fast Eddie and Wilko Johnson

Doug 18 May 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

A different style to most so far named but I suspect Django Reinhardt must be one of the most influencial guitarists of all time

In reply to Doug:

> A different style to most so far named but I suspect Django Reinhardt must be one of the most influencial guitarists of all time

Strong link to Tony Iommi. His dad introduced him to Django as another player who had severe finger injuries. So no Django, no Black Sabbath and no Metal!

Removed User 18 May 2021

Vai and Satriani are the ultimate yawn. Hair metal peaked with Motley Crue.

Lankyman 18 May 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> Vai and Satriani are the ultimate yawn. Hair metal peaked with Motley Crue.

No way! Spinal Tap were at least 11 streets ahead.

Andy Clarke 18 May 2021

> Rush are my favourite band and they have been a huge part of my life. Lerxst is also my favourite guitarist. Eddie was once asked, "What's it like being the greatest guitarist of your generation?" He replied, "I don't know, you'll have to ask Alex Lifeson." High praise indeed!

I've heard almost the same quote attributed to Eric Clapton about the magisterial Jeff Beck. I wonder if either/both are apocryphal, along the lines of "He's not even the best drummer in..." Hopefully all true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...